Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I believe the hardcast wadcutter is a sensible choice for the 38 snub. It will punch a good size hole and dig deep, even at low velocity.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just found the thread where I got my 38 spl ammo from Mackay. I sent it up in the classifieds----go there & take a look. Bob

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I believe the hardcast wadcutter is a sensible choice for the 38 snub. It will punch a good size hole and dig deep, even at low velocity.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Thank you Sir! Appreciate it! You always have good info. Used to lurk long ago at Sniper Hide and enjoyed your posts! Was just looking at the ammo pictured! Thanks!

Proper prior practice prevents piss poor performance!
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by colorado bob
I just found the thread where I got my 38 spl ammo from Mackay. I sent it up in the classifieds----go there & take a look. Bob

Will do! Thanks!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GhettoSportman
As I said my health is real bad and I may be bed ridden in a short while so I'm trying to setup friends and family with what they might need

I don't have any ammo or reloading suggestions for you, but I did want to take a moment and wish you the very best for whatever amount of time you have left. Good on you for looking out for others at a time when you would be totally justified just doing things for yourself. God bless you, sir! I guess we will never meet face-to-face in this lifetime, but maybe in the next. When I arrive in Glory, I'd be very obliged if you came up and introduced yourself.

Take care!
Wade

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Waders
As I said my health is real bad and I may be bed ridden in a short while so I'm trying to setup friends and family with what they might need

I don't have any ammo or reloading suggestions for you, but I did want to take a moment and wish you the very best for whatever amount of time you have left. Good on you for looking out for others at a time when you would be totally justified just doing things for yourself. God bless you, sir! I guess we will never meet face-to-face in this lifetime, but maybe in the next. When I arrive in Glory, I'd be very obliged if you came up and introduced yourself.

Take care!
Wade

Thanks so much Wade!! I sure appreciate it!! I'm not to sure I'd be able to meet you there but I'm hopeful! If I do I'll see you there and hopefully there's some pretty nice ranges there!

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Mackay is great to deal with, iv bought his 38,357 and 10mm ammo!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Any flat/solid 125-175 gr @650 fps to as fast as you can comfortably and proficiently shoot them.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by saddlering
Mackay is great to deal with, iv bought his 38,357 and 10mm ammo!

Yeah, after reading a few threads it seems everyone who has dealt with him likes his stuff a lot!! I've been eager to get some of this HC ammo and get my friend taken care of but I think I'll wait for Mr. Mackay and get some of his stuff! Thanks!!!!!

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by smallfry
Any flat/solid 125-175 gr @650 fps to as fast as you can comfortably and proficiently shoot them.

I'm just amazed at the penetration these 6 and 7 hundred fps hardcast rounds can get! Heck I've been trying to push these JHP's as fast as I can get em and they don't penetrate as well as the HC's. Shoot I used to load my light target loads to the same velocity (6 & 7 hundred) and thought they were kinda weak!

You guys are great! I've been doing some research in between posts and you guys give more and better info than I could find from many written articles! I should have asked before I loaded all those JHP's! But I guess he can use those in the spring and summer when folks don't have such heavy coats on!

Thanks so very much!!

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Hornady Critical Defense 110 grain JHP (FTX) +P.

I loaded quite a few slightly higher velocity than the Critical Defense loads (with the 110) but with the xtp as Hornady isn't selling the ftx (in 110 anyway). Would the flex tip make that much difference in performance than the xtp? Worried about penetration thru heavy coats as I live in the north country.
Lead semiwadcutter should do the trick, and the sharp shoulder should do some damage while drilling through. Soft lead will give some deformation while penetrating. Especially if bone is struck.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

I loaded quite a few slightly higher velocity than the Critical Defense loads (with the 110) but with the xtp as Hornady isn't selling the ftx (in 110 anyway). Would the flex tip make that much difference in performance than the xtp? Worried about penetration thru heavy coats as I live in the north country.
Lead semiwadcutter should do the trick, and the sharp shoulder should do some damage while drilling through. Soft lead will give some deformation while penetrating. Especially if bone is struck.

Thanks! You guys are a wealth of knowledge!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have been using the Underwood 150 gr. hard cast wadcutter in my snubbie .38 for years. I gave my mother my S&W 3" M64 .38 and loaded it with the same wadcutter ammo. That is a 150 gr. hard cast full wadcutter at 850 fps from a 2" barrel. Mac makes the same stuff and I would trust it to be first rate quality.

In defensive shooting with a handgun, or any gun I suppose, shot placement is King, penetration is Queen and all else is gravy.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by MOGC
I have been using the Underwood 150 gr. hard cast wadcutter in my snubbie .38 for years. I gave my mother my S&W 3" M64 .38 and loaded it with the same wadcutter ammo. That is a 150 gr. hard cast full wadcutter at 850 fps from a 2" barrel. Mac makes the same stuff and I would trust it to be first rate quality.

In defensive shooting with a handgun, or any gun I suppose, shot placement is King, penetration is Queen and all else is gravy.

I was just looking at the Underwood offerings and that 150 like you and MM suggested looks like a good one!

"shot placement is King, penetration is Queen and all else is gravy" HA I love that! Perfect way to explain it! Gotta remember that one!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Works great……. if the assailant is wearing a “wife beater” shirt, swim trunks and is not behind a door or similar! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Wife's 38 and 357 shoot 148gr semi-wadcutter hollow points.
Real old school.
HP, if they work.
Semi-wadcutter if they don't.
Soft lead either way.

No situation where something else isn't better, cherry picking.
None where it is a horrible choice either.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
On the rare occasion one of my smaller 38 revolvers get carried in a non outdoor related capacity I load them based on the season. Warm weather they are loaded with the Federal HST loads. Cooler weather its the Underwood Hardcast loads. To me both are extremely manageable to shoot accurately. In fact there is a 4" EAA Windicator (cheap but utterly reliable in my testing) currently residing in my trucks center console, that is loaded with the Underwood hardcasts with a backup speedloader of the same.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Well you guys have made it pretty clear. Hardcast, wadcutters for winter and he can use the JHP''s for spring and summer. At least that's what I'll be doing for my family anyway!

Thanks so much for all the help and education! Really appreciate it!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Nothing I can add beyond Mr Sagebrush. Note he has had standard velocity wadcutters for sale as well. Personally, that is what I would suggest for folks with limited practice in a lightweight revolver. Winter or summer. I loaded some hard cast poly coated 148 gr for my wife and daughter. Have not chronoed them but with 5.5 gr PowerPistol they are very comfortable in an Airweight S&W and a Model 15. If you have components and still wish to provide practice ammo just load wadcutters up with Bullseye or comparable powder at standard velocity.

Your generosity is noteworthy. God bless and keep you.

And I noticed MacKay has a website though it is under maintenance.

https://www.lostriverammocompany.co...-Grain-Hard-Cast-Full-Wadcutters-100-RND

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by shootem
Nothing I can add beyond Mr Sagebrush. Note he has had standard velocity wadcutters for sale as well. Personally, that is what I would suggest for folks with limited practice in a lightweight revolver. Winter or summer. I loaded some hard cast poly coated 148 gr for my wife and daughter. Have not chronoed them but with 5.5 gr PowerPistol they are very comfortable in an Airweight S&W and a Model 15. If you have components and still wish to provide practice ammo just load wadcutters up with Bullseye or comparable powder at standard velocity.

Your generosity is noteworthy. God bless and keep you.

And I noticed MacKay has a website though it is under maintenance.

https://www.lostriverammocompany.co...-Grain-Hard-Cast-Full-Wadcutters-100-RND

Thanks very much! Appreciate it!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
690 members (06hunter59, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 16penny, 72 invisible), 2,774 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,627
Posts18,398,735
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.