Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Mr_Harry
I’ll keep that in mind and try it. I only ever use it in tomato based sauces. Puttanesca and variants.

I’ll mess with it.

Check the first pic in the top right, brother. Can of Cento tomato puree kind of as backbone for the dish. IOW, the dish was made with a tomato base bringing the other flavors coming right behind it.

The palate of a true chef shined. Your eyes, well, maybe not so much... wink

You're definitely getting invited to come kill fish next year, I think. smile

BP-B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
How much anchovy paste did you use?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That looks delicious and I'm sure it was. I'd have been glad to have dinner with you, bison is awesome. I'd have given the dogs a hug too.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Looks good Kamo ! I’ve only had bison meat a couple of times. Hamburgers a few times and Steaks once.
Hamburger was damn good. The steak was OK. The best I can describe it, as steak, the meat just had a kind of “sweet” taste to it. I ate it, as I didn’t want to be rude to the host, but definitely not a steak I would order in a restaurant.
I would bet it makes a great stew meat, though.

The only thing I see missing in your stew is some potatoes. 😬

Congratulations on great hunt. I’d love to shoot one with my Hawken .54 cal.

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

Last edited by deflave; 11/17/22.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Yellow man drivee, white ghost ride shotgunnie shyt pantee. Ancient explession.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Looks good brother, wish you were closer, I'd stop by!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I’ll keep that in mind and try it. I only ever use it in tomato based sauces. Puttanesca and variants.

I’ll mess with it.

Check the first pic in the top right, brother. Can of Cento tomato puree kind of as backbone for the dish. IOW, the dish was made with a tomato base bringing the other flavors coming right behind it.

The palate of a true chef shined. Your eyes, well, maybe not so much... wink

You're definitely getting invited to come kill fish next year, I think. smile

Love to! Let me know.

I’m allllways down to dirty a deck.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Nice work.

I’ve never sautéed the veggies like that, except for tossing the onions and celery in with the meat after it browns. Too many carrots for me. I want a few taters, some frozen corn, and a bit of barley. Also add a few green beans, but too many will futz up the flavor.

Bison are long gone here, so I use beef chuck. I have some thick “crockpot roasts” that my butcher cut from my doe last month. Might try one of those.

What fresh Hell is this?
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by ironbender
How much anchovy paste did you use?

About a TBS full. Not much needed. End of that tube. Also used up the old garlic, old 'shrooms, old cherry tomatoes, last half a bag of baby carrots. With a dish like this, you can't really screw it up tossing in whatever veggies, old and new, you have on hand. Since I already had the sweetness of the carrot and tomato, I wouldn't use any corn. The flavor is beefy and savory, a little citrousy from the parsley, with just a touch of sweetness. Nothing fancy, but good, especially on cold days. Perfect for a thermos in a duck blind. wink

A few words on AP.

https://www.gq.com/story/anchovy-paste-use-secret-ingredient

The Ingredient-in-a-Tube That'll Make All Your Food Taste Better
For just $3, you can improve your dinner by a long shot.

BY PAULA FORBES

April 19, 2017

Matt Martin
Every cook should have a secret ingredient. Something that no one will quite be able to identify, but that makes everything taste just that much more sophisticated. Something like anchovy paste.

Okay, okay, so it’s not the sexiest of secret ingredients, but not everything can be bourbon or bacon. And what anchovy paste lacks in being, you know, fish paste, it makes up for by transforming everything instantly into a restaurant-caliber dish. Best of all, it won’t make your food taste fishy (and won’t ruin your breath)—it just gives it a deeper flavor. Nice trick, huh?

Anchovy paste comes in a toothpaste-like tube that you’ll find next to the tubes of tomato paste at the grocery store. And it’s exactly what it sounds like: anchovies, salt, and olive oil, ground into a greyish paste. If you can’t find any, you can make your own. Start with a jar of anchovies packed in oil (not salt), and smash them together with a bit of salt and olive oil in a bowl using the back of a fork.

And then go nuts. Here’s where to start:

Looking for the funk of dry-aged beef but don’t want to spend a paycheck on it? Once you get that T-Bone home from the butcher, give it a spread of anchovy paste: combine a tablespoon or so of paste with the same amount of olive oil, and a good amount of salt and pepper. You can add chopped herbs, too, if you like. Rub it all over your steak and set it in the refrigerator until it’s steak time, up to 24 hours. It’s not exactly the same as aged steak, but it is very delicious.

ADVERTISEMENT

Salad Dressing
This is a classic use for anchovy paste. It’s one of the ingredients in a typical Caesar salad dressing, but you can add a little squeeze to any vinaigrette: simply combine three parts oil to one part vinegar, then add a squeeze of mustard and anchovy paste, plus salt and pepper to taste. Just make sure you whisk the anchovy paste into the dressing thoroughly.

Vegetables
Pretty much any cooked vegetable can be improved upon with a bit of anchovy paste added at the last second. Sautéed greens? Paste ‘em. Roasted caulifilower? Paste, pal. Grilled zucchini? Paste, paste, paste. Just thin the paste with a little olive oil or lemon juice, then toss the cooked vegetables in it, and serve. Alongside the above steak would be nice, don’t you think? (Do note that anchovy paste is a bit salty, so you won’t need to salt your vegetables as much as you normally would.)

Chili (And Other Stews)
This is a no-brainer. Chili con carne, the original destination for secret ingredients of all stripes and colors, gets an instant upgrade with a healthy squeeze from that anchovy tube. And don’t stop there: you can use anchovy paste in all of your stews, although it plays especially nicely with rich, red meat stews that call for beef or lamb.

Basically Everything Else
As long as it’s savory, it could probably use a bit of anchovy paste. Try your new favorite secret ingredient in barbecue sauce, smeared over roast chicken, in pesto, in meatballs and meatloaves of every variety, in gravies, in dips, in bloody Marys. You can just straight-up toss it with pasta and a little olive oil, or whisk it into store-bought pasta sauce. Just keep a tube in the fridge to instantly up your game.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Winning move, right there Mate !!!

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Looks good Kamo ! I’ve only had bison meat a couple of times. Hamburgers a few times and Steaks once.
Hamburger was damn good. The steak was OK. The best I can describe it, as steak, the meat just had a kind of “sweet” taste to it. I ate it, as I didn’t want to be rude to the host, but definitely not a steak I would order in a restaurant.
I would bet it makes a great stew meat, though.

The only thing I see missing in your stew is some potatoes. 😬

Congratulations on great hunt. I’d love to shoot one with my Hawken .54 cal.

LOL ! That kinda looks like …….Flave. Fat, Bald, & Drunk. 😂😂😂
You must’ve forgot to wear your NIKE or Under Armour cap that day for your job at the Soup Kitchen serving all of your AA buds. 🤪🤪🤪

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Then again, Worcestershire sauce (Lea & Perrins brand only) is one of my secret weapons that finds its way into many recipes. And anchovy is a critical element of that. Fascinating.

Yes, to this too !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
It adds umami to the mix?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Oh mamy does it ever!

Just dont look at it too long....cause it looks exactly like shìt.

Like exactly. Straight from the orifice.

I am MAGA.
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Our resident Mac 'N' Cheese expert chimes in, I see. Classy orifice comment, too!

It was Thanksgiving dinner but turkey wasn't on the menu. I know, unpatriotic, right Beeg Jeem? wink

Post TGD food coma nap for my girls.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Even with all that seafood you yellow bastards still gotta grind up tiger penis to get a hardon.......

Shameful....

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Does look good though.

I am MAGA.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Looks great. Interesting about the anchovy paste.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Japanese style curry with bison.

2.5 lbs bison round, onions, carrot, garlic, ginger, potatoes, avocado oil (high heat oil, to 500F before smoking). Cloves, 'curry' spice, fresh ground pepper, about half a gallon of water, tumeric and a fiery dusting of a super hot Indian chili powder-- procured in London-- for all of 99p.

Store bought 'Vermont' curry roux, as they call it. No idea what Vermont has to do with it, but whatever. wink Kind of like a bullion cube. Heat-- and a complex one at that, not pure fire-- from that stuff'd make a Mexican jealous.

Last edited by kamo_gari; 11/28/22.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Our resident Mac 'N' Cheese expert chimes in, I see. Classy orifice comment, too!

It was Thanksgiving dinner but turkey wasn't on the menu. I know, unpatriotic, right Beeg Jeem? wink

Post TGD food coma nap for my girls.

Tasty. Coming in from fishing a few weeks ago the mate butchered one of our black fin and broke out a bottle of soy sauce. Maybe the trip, or the beer, but it was the best tuna I’ve ever had.

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
673 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 71 invisible), 3,192 guests, and 1,462 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,673
Posts18,399,532
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.