Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by GrouseChaser
Originally Posted by BKinSD
But I do think its G%d Dam&$ed important to get kids out hunting anyway we can. If that means putting out "inferior birds" so they can shoot them, take them home and take a measure of pride in it, then I'm all for that.

OK, well then let's award kids a participation trophy for firing a gun, even if they miss the target. Let's let them ride anywhere on ATVs, shoot anytime from vehicles, give them every artificial advantage to draw blood and snuff a critter. Heck, let's put tame three-legged deer out for kids to shoot too because "it is so G%d Dam&$ed important to get kids hunting anyway we can."

Lots of straw man arguments there. I guess if you don't want to "pot the inferior birds" then don't do it. I tend to enjoy a bit of rough shooting myself. It can get old shooting my limit of wild pheasants in 30 minutes.

Some people, especially kids in my own view, need to achieve success in order to learn to replicate it. I think that carries over to hunting, perhaps more so than other pursuits. Anyway, I hope that you find someone who can live up to your high standards to enjoy your day with. Lots of bird season left, can't wait to get back out there. Good luck!

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
BP-B2

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I tend to enjoy a bit of rough shooting myself. It can get old shooting my limit of wild pheasants in 30 minutes.

...I hope that you find someone who can live up to your high standards to enjoy your day with. Lots of bird season left, can't wait to get back out there. Good luck!
Every time I read about your pheasant hunts, I'm left wondering why you even bother doing it. You talk about how little effort you'd like to expend, how it's boring to get quick limits, and that you can't imagine spending hours chasing them. You rarely sound like you enjoy the task. Your videos of gunning birds as you stand next to a round bale look pretty boring to me. It reminds me of my years growing up on the farm, and shooting pigeons as they fly back to the barn. Have you ever followed a bird dog that you trained through cover? If not, you're missing out, because it's wonderful watching them put the puzzle together. And if you have trained one, you're the first person I've ever encountered that speaks of upland hunting the way you do.

As a retired Wildlife Biologist, I'd say GrouseChaser made some excellent points. I'd join him for a hunt any day. And if it's a full day afield, all the better.

Last edited by Wideopen; 11/17/22.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Nothing attracts kids to a new activity like frustration and failure.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by dassa
We didn't get any special treatment or youth seasons when I was a kid. You could go out and hunt like a man in the grown up season or stay the fugg home and play with the kiddie toys. For god sakes no wonder there's so many spoiled little snow flake pansies these days.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
New Jersey F&G releases close to 60,000 pheasants per year statewide.
Except for woodcock, mostly in the extreme lower end of the State, these are the only upland birds left to hunt. Bobwhite and ruffed grouse populations are so low that their seasons have been closed for a number of years.
One F&G employee who releases the birds, said the coyotes have his schedule figured out, and wait for him to arrive.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Blackheart
We didn't get any special treatment or youth seasons when I was a kid. You could go out and hunt like a man in the grown up season or stay the fugg home and play with the kiddie toys. For god sakes no wonder there's so many spoiled little snow flake pansies these days.
When you were a kid, farmers didn't plow all the way to the fence, millionaires didn't lease all the best hunting land, and kiddie toys were a tire and a stick.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
When you were a kid, farmers didn't plow all the way to the fence, millionaires didn't lease all the best hunting land, and kiddie toys were a tire and a stick.
We also had to work cutting firewood, throwing hay bales and running trap lines to earn the money for our own guns and shells. We didn't have to be coaxed and coddled into going hunting, we had to work for it. We certainly wouldn't want the little darlins to have to work for anything today.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
We also had to work cutting firewood, throwing hay bales and running trap lines to earn the money for our own guns and shells. We didn't have to be coaxed and coddled into going hunting, we had to work for it. We certainly wouldn't want the little darlins to have to work for anything today.
You must be a real bad ass. Would you have done that stuff if you didn't have access to birds to hunt?

If you would have, you're an idiot. Normal people don't bust their ass for zero reward.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You must be a real bad ass. Would you have done that stuff if you didn't have access to birds to hunt?

If you would have, you're an idiot. Normal people don't bust their ass for zero reward.
We didn't do much pheasant hunting. Mostly rabbits, squirrels and grouse, which are still plenty accessible but probably just too tough for you and todays pansy ass kids. The little darlins can't even walk more than a block to school. Certainly busting brush for rabbits would be too much to expect.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Wideopen
I tend to enjoy a bit of rough shooting myself. It can get old shooting my limit of wild pheasants in 30 minutes.

...I hope that you find someone who can live up to your high standards to enjoy your day with. Lots of bird season left, can't wait to get back out there. Good luck!
Every time I read about your pheasant hunts, I'm left wondering why you even bother doing it. You talk about how little effort you'd like to expend, how it's boring to get quick limits, and that you can't imagine spending hours chasing them. You rarely sound like you enjoy the task. Your videos of gunning birds as you stand next to a round bale look pretty boring to me. It reminds me of my years growing up on the farm, and shooting pigeons as they fly back to the barn. Have you ever followed a bird dog that you trained through cover? If not, you're missing out, because it's wonderful watching them put the puzzle together. And if you have trained one, you're the first person I've ever encountered that speaks of upland hunting the way you do.

As a retired Wildlife Biologist, I'd say GrouseChaser made some excellent points. I'd join him for a hunt any day. And if it's a full day afield, all the better.

Oh, you can just go and pound sand. The 'holier than thou' attitude doesn't sit well with me. My dogs are trained, by me, and have been led, and followed, through plenty of cover, over hill and dale in search of grouse, partridge, and indeed, hundreds and hundreds of pheasants. Some for kids, some for adults, and plenty of them were a ton of fun. If you want to spend a whole day at it, be my guest.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

We didn't do much pheasant hunting. Mostly rabbits, squirrels and grouse, which are still plenty accessible but probably just too tough for you and todays pansy ass kids. The little darlins can't even walk more than a block to school. Certainly busting brush for rabbits would be too much to expect.
Why don't you hunt pheasants? They're a lot more exciting than rabbits or squirrels.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Why don't you hunt pheasants? They're a lot more exciting than rabbits or squirrels.
That's definitely debatable and yes I've hunted phesants many times as an adult. We had a good beagle for running rabbits when we were kids. Besides, there were no pheasants around where we lived, we were too young to drive and we didn't have anybody to cart us around hunting. Dad was too busy working most of the time so we were on our own. Luckily we had hundreds of acres right out the back door to hunt and there were shytloads of cottontails and good numbers of grouse.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Normal people don't bust their ass for zero reward.

The work is the reward.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Hey, kids, let's go traipse around in this field all day toting shotguns. And all that money you raised at your summer job, go buy a box of shotgun shells. Now, I'm gonna tell you right up front, that you're not gonna see any birds, cause there ain't no birds around here. But you're gonna work your ass off for nothing, cause that's a reward in and of itself.

Or,

Hey, the state released a couple thousand pheasants down at the wildlife area. What say we go see if we can flush a bird or two?

Which is more likely to get a kid to want to go hunting? Do you think the kid cares that the birds are inferior?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Hey, kids, let's go traipse around in this field all day toting shotguns. And all that money you raised at your summer job, go buy a box of shotgun shells. Now, I'm gonna tell you right up front, that you're not gonna see any birds, cause there ain't no birds around here. But you're gonna work your ass off for nothing, cause that's a reward in and of itself.

Or,

Hey, the state released a couple thousand pheasants down at the wildlife area. What say we go see if we can flush a bird or two?

Which is more likely to get a kid to want to go hunting? Do you think the kid cares that the birds are inferior?
So if you've got no pheasants around, don't take them pheasant hunting duh. Take them to the hardwood ridge for squirrels. There's certainly no shortage of those, the woods are crawling with them. Or take them to that overgrown brush lot for cottontails. And what about waterfowl ? Plenty of ducks and geese around. For god sakes you act like there's nothing to hunt if you don't have any pheasants. A kid that has the drive to hunt isn't going to need much coaxing and will gladly hunt whatever's around to hunt. My little nephew started out on squirrels and is already a deer hunting fanatic with 3 bucks to his credit in his first two seasons. The kid lives and breathes to hunt and hasn't pulled the trigger on a pheasant yet.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Maybe you just struggle with English. The thread is about releasing pheasants to give people hunting opportunities.

I guess though, since everyone has hardwood ridges nearby with tons of squirrels, everyone should just be satisfied with that.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You've got nothing around to hunt but pen raised pheasants ? That's sad. The stocking program is a big waste. Strictly put and take. Many get picked off by predators and those that don't get shot or eaten by coyotes don't survive the winter. I have little interest in killing pen raised birds these days. Hunters would generally be better off if state game agencies spent that money on habitat improvement/aquisition and predator control.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
You really do struggle with English. Where did I say I have nothing to hunt but pen raised pheasants? I guess you just imagine every fool thought that crosses your "mind" automatically becomes fact. Like everyone should just go hunt all the squirrels on the hardwood ridge.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by Wideopen

Oh, you can just go and pound sand. The 'holier than thou' attitude doesn't sit well with me. My dogs are trained, by me, and have been led, and followed, through plenty of cover, over hill and dale in search of grouse, partridge, and indeed, hundreds and hundreds of pheasants. Some for kids, some for adults, and plenty of them were a ton of fun. If you want to spend a whole day at it, be my guest.
I'm just responding to your typically arrogant posts. They're your words, not mine. You can't imagine hunting all day. You find it boring to get your limit in 30 minutes. You talk about wanting to expend little effort for pheasants. I can't imagine a kid or anyone else benefiting from the form of mentorship you describe here. If you don't want to be mocked, try changing how you describe your hunts. Otherwise, I'll feel free to repeat your words. And, holier than thou? Aren't you the one that said you hoped GrouseChaser finds someone that can live up to his high standards? Keep typing and I'll keep trashing your short attention span.

Last edited by Wideopen; 11/18/22.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Or,

In this post you sure did make it sound like it was pheasants or nothing dipshyt. You should have just admitted you're a lazy dumb fugg and if it weren't for pen raised birds you wouldn't be able to find anything at all for you or your kids to shoot.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
198 members (257 mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 2UP, 01Foreman400, 17 invisible), 1,562 guests, and 863 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,911
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.