Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#17808514 11/16/22
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Since I can't find a Kingfisher to buy and Gene is retired, what custom maker makes a comparable 5" blade?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Charlie May makes the 'skipjack'...

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That Charles May would be my choice of the makers I'm familiar with. There is a factory option. The Benchmade Custom Shop will put a Meatcrafter together for you. Check the custom Meatcrafter out.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I always wanted a May Buk95, I'll check out the skipjack. I have been eyeing the Meatcrafters. Thanks for the suggestions.

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
I heard that Jud has an unused one he's dying to sell. Make him a low ball offer! laugh

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
+another on the skipjack...

I’ve got one with a 5” blade.

I missed out on the kingfisher.

But....

Don’t forget about a lil dumplin!

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Personally, I like the skipjack handle better....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
mully, I have a Buk95. It is in my pack right now waiting to go to work this weekend. If you ever get your hands on one you'll like it. Also, in my last email exchange with Gene I asked about a Kingfisher and he said he might work a few up for sale. I had one and like a dumbass I sold it. I did that with the thought of ordering another one but that didn't happen before Gene had his accident.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Folks (including me) tend to overlook the Dozier K-23 in these boning knife discussions. I picked one up at the BLADE show a while back in .110ish CTS-XHP at just over 5". Works like a...Dozier. Daniel Crotts is also making a variant of this design and has always been good to customize.

And, of course, I have to mention Phil Wilson. If you can get him to make you one a short/stiff Shelter Cove would last generations. I'm using a 5.5ish" Punta Chivato now for most boning chores.

Last edited by Journeyman; 11/17/22.

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I agree the Dozier is overlooked, I like their single finger groove handle as it is very comfortable and controllable in my hand. I prefer a 4.5-5” blade for most chores, field dressing deer included. It just fits my technique. To me finding a blade in that range is harder. I know most custom makers will tweak their designs. My K-23 is a little too long for general use for me (it is a great boning knife). The Little Dumpling is great, too. I love me a tapered tang. I’m going to seriously consider a Skipjack. Any idea if May does kydex sheaths? I used to hate them but like to be able to throw a knife that had just been wiped off in the field into a sheath that can be rinsed out. Do I need a Kingfisher? Hell no, but I want one!

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The Skipjack is a great pattern but I think it normally comes with a 4.5" blade, at least mine did. Charlie would probably stretch it for you though.

I agree with Hunts, I prefer the skipjack handle to the kingfisher's. . It just fits me better. My one gripe about the Skipjack is that the blade stock is pretty thick, too thick for this type of knife, IMHO. I tried to get Charlie to make mine out of .100 to .110 stock and he didn't want to. It still makes a great knife for breaking down a critter but I'd prefer thinner once I start using it in the kitchen deboning and taking off silver skin.

My kingfisher (which may have been MOGC's first) is a lot thinner and I really prefer it.

Rick's Lil Dumplin is excellent in the field but a little short for the butchering table, at least to me. Not knocking it, it may be one of the best all around knives I've ever used.

Tim Olt also makes a really nice 5" boner that would be worth considering.

Here is a pic of the four I mentioned side by side, maybe it will help you in your decision.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The Benchmade meatcrafter looks like a nice knife as well if you don't mind a production knife.

One of the Phil Wilson knives might be the grail for this type of knife, like Journeyman said, the trouble is getting one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dude270
The Skipjack is a great pattern but I think it normally comes with a 4.5" blade, at least mine did. Charlie would probably stretch it for you though.

I agree with Hunts, I prefer the skipjack handle to the kingfisher's. . It just fits me better. My one gripe about the Skipjack is that the blade stock is pretty thick, too thick for this type of knife, IMHO. I tried to get Charlie to make mine out of .100 to .110 stock and he didn't want to. It still makes a great knife for breaking down a critter but I'd prefer thinner once I start using it in the kitchen deboning and taking off silver skin.

My kingfisher (which may have been MOGC's first) is a lot thinner and I really prefer it.

Rick's Lil Dumplin is excellent in the field but a little short for the butchering table, at least to me. Not knocking it, it may be one of the best all around knives I've ever used.

Tim Olt also makes a really nice 5" boner that would be worth considering.

Here is a pic of the four I mentioned side by side, maybe it will help you in your decision.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

There's my baby! If you are tired of it by now I'll gladly take it off your hands. wink

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My Olt is a dandy, but a little shy of 5"...

Another one I really like is jelky's boner...

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
MOGC,

Sorry buddy, she is staying with me! I just cleaned up 4 backstraps with it this morning.

Hunts,

I didn't realize Tim had two different size boners...

I like that one from JElky. Very nice.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
probably a deal can be had on a benchmade next week somewhere with all the black friday deals happening

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by huntsman22
My Olt is a dandy, but a little shy of 5"...

Another one I really like is jelky's boner...

Yup, j_elky here on the fire builds a mighty fine knife. I should be almost back at the top of his list for a couple more wink

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Really good thread. Not a knife discussed (or pictured) a fellow couldn't be happy with for a lifetime. Some great knowledge/experience here.

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I agree this is an outstanding thread. Anyone have contact information for j elky?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 64 invisible), 2,619 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,689
Posts18,456,528
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.