Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
cbay Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Hi, hoping to get some ideas on good smiths to send a problem child off to.
Bought two model 70 super grades in the last couple years and had it with em.
Tried bedding the 308 and made some progress but think I'm done trying to mess with it anymore.
A real shame neither shoot worth a hoot. Had decent luck with my featherweights. Figured I'd step it up go all out on these fine rifles but came oup felling gutshot on the deal.
Like to find someone who appreciates these models and has good experience getting them shooting well.
Prefer to stick with just bedding for now if possible.
Any recommendations? And have no idea what's involved sending them out... Ex/ through ffl or?
In SW Missouri.
Thanks, Chris

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Have you ever heard of Hill Country Rifles? They have been accurizing rifles for a long time. I do my own work, but if I did not, that is who I'd send it to.
https://www.hillcountryrifles.com/accurize-it/

Good luck with it. There are some that think they know and others not so much. The proof is always on target.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
cbay Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Thanks for the recommendation

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
for bedding
alex sitman at masterclass stocks....excellent workmanship

C
cbay Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Thanks. I don't have enough post count to message here but there is a member who I've run across his name on the web enough to want to check with. Out of WI. .....
I'd try again on it but honestly I'm becoming aware there are lots of details that matter a bunch, and these super grades are really special rifles which I don't want to learn on at this stage of my experience.
Convinced both of them will be plenty good with just bedding. I can hold the barrel and forend of stock and loosen the front screw and there is movement on both rifles. A lot less on the one I tried bedding....but...😂

IC B2

C
cbay Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
All these years of searching topics on here should have just joined and participated.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cbay
Thanks. I don't have enough post count to message here but there is a member who I've run across his name on the web enough to want to check with. Out of WI. .....
I'd try again on it but honestly I'm becoming aware there are lots of details that matter a bunch, and these super grades are really special rifles which I don't want to learn on at this stage of my experience.
Convinced both of them will be plenty good with just bedding. I can hold the barrel and forend of stock and loosen the front screw and there is movement on both rifles. A lot less on the one I tried bedding....but...😂

OP is probably referring to Redneck. Unfortunately for the OP, Redneck has retired from gunsmithing. Given the weather here in WI today, he probably moving snow with his John Deere.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

Medics bury their mistakes..
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Chad Dixon at Long Rifles Inc. and John Whidden at Whidden Gunworks both know their way around a Model 70. John won several National Championships with his.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
C
cbay Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
[quote=Dinny]Al Nyhus may be able to help you.

Al, if interested in talking,
Chris

IC B3

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Are you shooting factory ammo or hand loads? What size groups? What scope and rings/bases?

Kevin Weaver is another excellent M70 gunsmith.

C
cbay Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by 805
Are you shooting factory ammo or hand loads? What size groups? What scope and rings/bases?

Kevin Weaver is another excellent M70 gunsmith.

Thanks. Reloads, around 1/34"-2" now (with the 308), Burris ffII, Talley.....all good on that front.

Kept hearing how well those Tikkas shot and ended up getting one not long ago. Figured this would be a good time to put myself back in check or not (wasn't really necessary as I got a few that are pretty close to bug hole shooters, but , what the hey)
We'll sure enough, tiny groups immediately.
Dang I hate that! Almost wished it was me beings I love these 70s so much. Grew up with them.
Anyway, I'm not done with these last two (the other sg is a 6.5 cm just got this summer)
Not going to buy anymore but will get these two lined out eventually.
Gonna stop wasting valuable primers, bullet, powder combos on them though and probably pick up a 308 Tikka in the meanwhile - as this last one in 6.5 cm kinda spoiled me with tiny groups. 🤔
If something doesn't materialize on getting these fixed I'll go back to the drawing board late winter and try to get some feedback from you guys as I dig in
Appreciate the responses.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Al, if interested in talking,4172143736 Chris

Chris, I tried to send you a PM but it won't go through.... -Al

Forbidden Zoner
C
cbay Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus

Yea I haven't earned my keep around here yet.
🙄

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus

Yea I haven't earned my keep around here yet.
🙄

You have been a member for well over a year, contact admin and see if they can't help you with that.

Especially since you are not buying or selling in the classifieds.

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
C
cbay Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by Darryle
You have been a member for well over a year, contact admin and see if they can't help you with that.

Especially since you are not buying or selling in the classifieds.
Thanks for saying that. May do that but don't mind contributing when I have time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Chris, make sure and do your homework before you send either rifle off for bedding work.

Model 70's are unique in several areas when it comes to producing a bedding job that helps accuracy. Most of this work is subtle, hard to explain and even more difficult to photograph or convey in words. If any of these areas are compromised, the end result can be as if there's been nothing done. Or worse.

90% of the pics posted on forums of finished Model 70 'bedding jobs' show these defects of workmanship and lack of understanding in glaring detail, by the way. wink That's not a slam but rather it points out an opportunity to improve skills for those wanting to progress.

That won't be a popular statement, I know....but there it is.

Good shootin':) -Al

Forbidden Zoner
C
cbay Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Thanks for sharing. Yes I believe those of us who crave more precision are drawn to more problems than we start with sometimes!!!
I've done quite a bit of digging online and found some things that likely are some of what you are referring to.
What you are pointing out and from reading is why I've decided it's best to leave it to someone like yourself. Then as time permits I can refer back to the work done, read more and have a go at it on a rifle that sits on a lower shelf so to speak.
I'm still working on my post count here but not much of a talker.
If I do end up trying to rectify the issues with my first bedding job maybe I can start a thread on it .

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Others have given you solid advice on bedding. On your last question, re: shipping. Since you already own the rifle, as long as the smith is an FFL (they will be if you go with one of the outfits recommended above), you don't have to go through an FFL sending it to them -- and they can send it directly back to you. UPS stores won't ship firearms. UPS hubs generally do, or at least did, until recently. We've been seeing mixed reports about some still shipping rifles and others refusing. USPS will do it but they are generally a lot more expensive, at least in my area. Make sure you take photos of the rifle before packing it, photos of how you packed it, and then insure it for what it would really cost to replace. I also always include a note inside the box explaining where the package is headed in case the outside labels gets lost. Good luck!

P
P
Bedding a rifle is not rocket science*. I've done it successfully multiple times. Nobody taught me how - it's mostly common sense and thinking things thru from start to finish. Over and over until you can say the steps outloud.

I had a guy lined up to help me the first time, but then I studied on it enough to tell him to him stay home that Saturday morning.

I've even done a Garand, which is a complicated project and IS ROCKET SCIENCE!~ (studying that print of where to take out the wood really made me scratch my head until I finally understood it!) You need to buy or make a couple of gauges/placement tools for the Garand.

I won't go into details here - they can be found elsewhere.

I use carnuba car wax as a release agent, and Brownell's Acra Glass Gel with atomized stainless steel mixed in. Tough stuff.

Their pigments work REALLY WELL. You would have to look at my Garand with a magnifying glass to see that it has been glass bedded.

Just don't try to do it when it is 90F+ in your shop, unless you keep the gel floating in a bowl of ice.

https://www.brownells.com/aspx/learn/learndetail.aspx?lid=10498

~~~~~
* you just have to convince it that you love it.

Last edited by pcmacd; 11/21/22. Reason: clarity

Lesdicsics Of The World, UNTIE!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 58 invisible), 2,621 guests, and 1,062 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,313
Posts18,468,297
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.