Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
The Ruger P Series ( P89, 90,93,94, 95, Etc.) is obviously out of production but still available

Your favorite?

Which model, in your opinion, is the best for concealed carry?

Any negatives as compared to current production auto pistols

"an armed society is a polite society"
BP-B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have one, they are heavy and shoot ok, not my favorite by any means.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Generally good serviceable pistols with a really oddball grip. I recall tht the plastic framed 9mm (P95?) had some reliability issues but can't recall exactly what those were.

There are police trade in Sigs around if you want a conventional DA auto. I personally think they're a much better pistol.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by pullit

^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^

My findings as well! Built much like a military tank and almost as agile! 😉 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have a P345 that has proven to be 100% reliable and easy to shoot well. Great ergonomics.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Heavy, ugly, crude. Avoid unless you can not afford anything better. The only Ruger pistols I would consider are SR series or Ruger 1911.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I have a P94 that shoots and feeds very well, but it seems top heavy (and heavy all around) to me.
It’s the “nightstand” gun. Had the same Golden Saber in the chamber for about a decade.
I need to drag it to the range and pop a few through it.

A friend had a P89 that shot well.

I’ve read really good things about the P345 (being a .45 guy), but never fired one.

If I found one in a caliber I wanted and it felt good in the hand, I’d not be afraid to buy it based on my own limited experience.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by memtb

^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^

My findings as well! Built much like a military tank and almost as agile! 😉 memtb

Yep. Tough as nails. Very reliable. Accurate enough to get the job done, too. They would also make a damn good club when you run out of ammo.
Which is more than I’d say for my Glock 19 I’ve owned since they first came out and was my favorite Hi-Cap 9mm. Until I bought a Glock 19 X model.

I bought the first Ruger 9mm auto edition, when they first came out. The P-85. Ruger had some problems with the gun’s finish coming off, so they upgraded to the P-89 version.
I liked the P-90, the 45acp version better.

Many years later, I bought my Dad the P-95 polymer version, because he wanted a Hi-cap 9mm before the first Hi/Cap Magazine Ban went into effect.
It’s every bit as reliable, much lighter, and more accurate than my old P-85.
If it was the only 9mm I had left, it would damn sure be good enough to “ride the river with” as the old time Cowboys used to say.
Same goes for the P-90 45acp version. Though I much prefer a 1911. 🤠

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Slavek
Heavy, ugly, crude. Avoid unless you can not afford anything better. The only Ruger pistols I would consider are SR series or Ruger 1911.

Pay no attention to SlavekDumbass. Just another Full of Schitt Maser Sock Puppet like NoElkSlayer or Happy Cramper. He doesn’t own any real guns. Never has and never will. He just plays cut & paste after a Google search.
Mostly spends his time in Diapers posing with his Airsoft gun collection. 🤪🤪🤪😂😂😂😂

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I have only owned the p90. Agree with others that it is blocky, ugly, and fairly crude. It was a $299 purchase brand new. It is plenty accurate, and "mostly reliable". I've had some problems getting it to run right in cold weather, but I think that is mostly resolved. Given the capacity, I don't consider it a great option as a defensive pistol anymore. That said, it rides in the truck, in case I don't have a gun on me.

Generally prefer other options to the 9mm P-series pistols, but I've only shot buddies guns. I found the grip weird on the polymer framed one.

Last edited by cwh2; 11/17/22.
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by cwh2
I have only owned the p90. Agree with others that it is blocky, ugly, and fairly crude. It was a $299 purchase brand new. It is plenty accurate, and "mostly reliable". I've had some problems getting it to run right in cold weather, but I think that is mostly resolved. Given the capacity, I don't consider it a great option as a defensive pistol anymore. That said, it rides in the truck, in case I don't have a gun on me.

Generally prefer other options to the 9mm P-series pistols, but I've only shot buddies guns. I found the grip weird on the polymer framed one.

Had a P97DC 45 that didn't like a lot of lube in winter. ESPECIALLY grease. I have a tendency to over lube everything and the pistol would begin to misfeed after about 50 rounds when my too much lube mixed with firing residue, kinda gelled up in the cold. Ammo that ran dirty didn't help. But this was temperatures in the 20s

User error, other than that it ran 100%. I found it ran perfectly with just a drop of oil on the rails. Never tried to run it completely dry. Fairly accurate too. But a clunky pistol. I called it the Beast.

Gifted it to my son and he holds it in high regard. BTW, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I like the spartan look of the P series. Certainly "prettier" than any Glock smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a P95 years ago. Absolutely reliable. Just based on the weight, and barrel length, I would say that one would be the best bet for carry. Quick check on several web pages says 27-29 oz. empty. That doesn't seem too onerous.

Of course, compared to current offerings the operating system and the styling are out of favor. If you can get past that there's nothing wrong with them.

The one I had was not a great trigger at first but really smoothed out nicely after a couple thousand rounds. When people say that they are "crude", I don't think they even understand what they mean by that.

Out of the 30+ centerfire semiautos I've owned over the years, a certain subset never had a failure of any kind. Out of those, if I had to bet on which one would go the longest before that eventual failure, I would probably be forced to bet on the Ruger. It's hard to explain, but it just had a certain feel to the way it cycled, like there was a perfect balance between the slide weight and the recoil spring and the locking/unlocking dynamics. Nothing crude about that at all.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
My brother had three of them, 9mm, .40, and .45. When he passed away, they came to me. I am not a fan, so I rid myself of them without ever shooting them. There was nothing about them that I cared for, they were clunky, and awkward compared to a 1911.

When I worked at an indoor range, the customers would bring them in, and I never, ever, saw any issues with them, they were reliable and fairly accurate (depending on the shooter), but the triggers didn't do anything for me, and I thought the gun was "fat".
Maybe I was wrong, but I could never develop any warmth towards them.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Had a P89, very reliable, never jammed or failed to feed or eject. Would feed most anything. Having said that it was a challenge to hit the broad side of a barn. Most inaccurate pistol I have owned.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
🤣🤣🤣🤣.... The obvious alternative are used 3rd generation S&W pistols from famous value line. The 9x19 908, 915, .40 ??, .45 457, 457s. Better guns in every way which can be had for similar price or slightly more. The plastic sights do not shift, and function as intended.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have had a P90 for, probably, 25 years or so. It is clunky and crude looking but more accurate than a fairly high-dollar Colt I recently got rid of. With a Hogue grip sleeve it fits my big hand pretty well. It has always been very reliable and trouble free. I'll probably never get rid of it.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ed mentioned the P345, which one of my sons owned for awhile. I don't care for two tone pistols but that one felt good in the hand and ran and shot just fine.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Slavek
🤣🤣🤣🤣.... The obvious alternative are used 3rd generation S&W pistols from famous value line. The 9x19 908, 915, .40 ??, .45 457, 457s. Better guns in every way which can be had for similar price or slightly more. The plastic sights do not shift, and function as intended.

How reliable is the old Smith 59 9mm series compared to the Ruger P89/P95 9mms....since they are both double stack 9s. Not looks but dependability?

I don't know if Smith made a de-cock only M59 or for that matter DAO. Can anyone shed some light?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pretty sure all the first and second gen Smiths were regular DA/SA. Now that I think of it I also used to have a Smith 459 that looked like someone had run over it with a truck that would cycle reloads that choked all my plastic guns.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by memtb

^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^

That sums it up. I had a P89DC when I was 17. The first semi auto pistol I purchased. It was very reliable and cheaply priced. It was very inaccurate though and back then I knew how to shoot a pistol better than average. Someone mentioned 3rd gen smiths. Those are much better. Never fail and are much more accurate pistols.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
657 members (257Bob, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 74 invisible), 2,898 guests, and 1,397 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,656
Posts18,399,278
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.