24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have the Stihl and all I got for feedback last year was a bunch of naysaying mouthy old foucks.
With the exception of about 2 individuals

Been very pleased with it. Something many people won’t see on their Human Resources evals: EXCEEDS EXPECTATIONS

It’s been great for construction work. Sawing off overages on deck posts and I keep in the furnace shed for that one random log of stovewood I encounter in the heap that is 3ft long.

BP-B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My dad can’t handle a regular chainsaw anymore and wanted an electric to clear his trails etc. I didn’t have much faith but bought him a Ryobi on sale. The damn thing works great and has impressed me. I wouldn’t want to rely on one for putting up my years worth of wood but they certainly have their place.

Last edited by jdunham; 11/17/22.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
A couple who are great friends gave me one as a gift for my last birthday in September. It also has the trimmer attachment. They got tired of knowing I would work myself to death with loppers and saws at the deer lease. I can now do a former days work- and more- in about fifteen minutes. I told him it was like cheating. He is a rancher and said he loved his Dewalt which was all the endorsement I needed. It also allows me to stay off a ladder for certain chores around the home and do a much nicer job with less effort, in shorter time than with the manual stuff I always did - but that goes without saying I suppose. Point is you can get to high things while staying on the ground- a plus.

Is it for clearing a forest or large trees ?- nope. Is it for topping trees and shaping tall bushes around your place or clearing that cedar and mesquite out of the paths at your deer lease? - you bet your a$$ it is. I no longer trim small cedars, I remove them at the base and toss the tree aside.

I appreciated chain saws but as I get older I appreciate what hearing I have left and the electric is so much more pleasant. I feel physically better after a stint with the electric. Kind of like using hearing protection for other tools or shooting.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My Ryobi 18V saw is the only one of my Ryobi tools that I don't love. It's okay. Kinda hard to describe, but because the RPMs are comparatively low, it has a tendency to bounce when cutting through smaller limbs that have flex to them. I have found a few uses for it, but if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't buy it. Between a real chainsaw and stout loppers, my needs are well met. That's not to say that some electric saws wouldn't work.

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 11/17/22.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
No DeWalt here... I have and use the Huaqvarna 40V with a 16" bar. One cutting machine!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by LFC
I bought the ECHO best bang for the buck.....you won't need extra batteries if you do you need a gas saw.

Originally Posted by Ohio7x57
I bought the 58 volt echo. 20 volt is kind of light for chain saw work. I like Dewalt, but would get a 40 volt.

Ron

I bought the Echo 58v also - haven't used it much yet but did have to clear a trail out on the SxS. I had 4 down trees 12" - 18" diameter that the saw went through effortlessly with 2 cuts per tree. I'm happy with it...

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I can vouch for the DeWalt, it's nice. My girlfriend/neighbor has one and the 60v batteries. It's just perfect for her and cuts well.

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Tried to word my question specifically.

Looking at dewalt for battery/charger continuity. I have 2 chargers, 3-4Ah batteries, and 2-2Ah batteries.

This is of for making firewood, hence the 20v/12” reference. I use two stroke pollution for firewood.

Primary use will be trail work removing blowdowns, leaners, etc.

Weight is 9ish pounds. Right size for horseback, and the little woman can handle it.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by slumlord
What is the battery config on that dewalt?

One big clunker or two smaller ‘drill’ batteries?
It’ll use the drill batts, or upgrade to the 60v for longer run time.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by slumlord
What is the battery config on that dewalt?

One big clunker or two smaller ‘drill’ batteries?
Slum, it's one big clunker
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Flexvolt is for the bigger 16” saw, but can be used in the 12”/20v this thread is about.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Iron Mike, what is asked, and what is answered on the ol' 'fire, are not always the same thing!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
If packing on a horse, watch out for the oil leak issue - unless it has been resolved. May have an oil soaked pack saddle and horse.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Better ask ribka. He's the smartest mother fuucker on here. Knows everything. Just ask him. It's a god damn wonder he ain't president and Elon doesn't have him running space x.

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Rangersedge
If packing on a horse, watch out for the oil leak issue - unless it has been resolved. May have an oil soaked pack saddle and horse.
O ring is supposed to resolve it, but Im aware of that issue. Thanks.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ironbender
Battery Chainsaw

No. Just, no.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Originally Posted by ironbender
Battery Chainsaw

No. Just, no.
LOL.

That’s where I was too, but I see at least a niche for one.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Brother said they used DeWalt with the 60V batteries in the mines.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I have a Stihl. Electrics are handy and work in a pinch. I got it for the quiet to use in deer and bear camp and for carrying on the ATV.

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve got the 20V exact DeWalt you queried about. I’ve had it 18 months and love it. I cut small alder for cooking salmon, down trees on back roads, camp firewood, no major cutting jobs. If a tree is too big to cut with this saw, it is bigger than I want to mess with when hunting. My grandson just bought the same. I have a Stilh that is superb, but in my Suzuki space is a premium and with the electric I can omit the gas can and its fumes. Quiet, quick, cuts well, ideal for my use.

I haul it in a plastic tub with a cut in one end for the bar. It does leak oil, but the plastic tub with a layer of cardboard under the saw contains it and keeps it manageable, especially since I refill the oil minimally and keep it empty of oil most of the time. DeWalt agreed to take it back and fix it but I decided to avoid that hassle and live with the small leak.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
738 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 72 invisible), 2,972 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,763
Posts18,401,397
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.