Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
For current rifles, Ruger Americans are good as was the XS7. For my use they really need iron sights and that really raises the price.

My all time favorite is the Winchester Ranger pushfeed with the great iron sights. I scared up Tupperware stocks for mine to save the wood.

In lever guns, the 30TK Marlin is a model that deserves another run.

BP-B6

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Judman
I don’t think 600/660’s were cheap, 788’s were, that’s my vote.👊🏻

I bought one for $99. (circa 1973) at a Gibsons in Dallas. Brand new wish I had several of them to play with.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I looked at a new to me rifle this afternoon that I was VERY impressed with. The rifle was a Smith & Wesson in 6.5 Creedmoor. I didn't know S&W was even in the rifle bidniz....but then it's been a very long time since I was in the Gun Bidnizz as a factory rep.

With the All Black composite stock and metal work, it fit me like as if I had drawn it up, even if it was a tad heavy in comparison to the Ruger and Savage competition. Ummm mebbe was a 24" barrel didn't measure the barrel , and a VERY SOLID LOOKING EXTRACTOR - especially compared to my Kentucky built Marlin Model 7 Stainless's Original extractor that failed on the very 1st shot from brand new.

OBTW The price point in the store on the S&W was WAY under the Ruger American I'd gone in the store to buy and IMO way better balanced feeling when I was standing and mounting the rifle's cheek piece to my cheek like I was looking at Bambi's GRAND Daddy and too scared to take the shot. Only drawback I can think might be the rifle, w/out a scope, is a tad heavy for my short arms almost 80 year old arms , but well balanced enough for my short arms. I also liked the solid bottom enclosed magazine follower too ...less trash and water can get in the enclosed Magazine Well that way for a rifle I intend to use in the most miserable conditions I know of.

So, anybody got any comments ?? pro or con or AM I GONNA BE THE 1ST Guinea Pig to ask for Info & Opinions? I just hope the S&W rifle is still there in the morning....there is only ONE of 'em in stock right now.
Ron

Last edited by sakoron; 11/16/22. Reason: Clarity
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
It's likely a closeout tc venture.

Great rifles.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I did see a TC stamp on it, don't remember where right now but was surprised at seeing a TC Stamp on the rifle. Store staff said that they are only getting one of these every month or so, and thought they could sell all of 'em they could get.
Ron

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Just got off the phone and the S&W CM is on hold for me to pick up in the morning....who'da thunk you could buy a rifle like this for $300 NIB + TTL. I'll sleep good tonite for sure. Got well over a K of 6.5 bullets to play with too.
Ron

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
By budget - do you mean great value?

If so I’d go Tikka T3x or Kimber 84m Classic. Both far out kick their coverage.

If you just mean best bang for low money I’m in the Stevens 200 camp. I’m not a 788 guy - just couldn’t get past the rear locking lugs deal. Those Stevens when first released were like $329 lol.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
PoC,

By economy rifle I do mean cheap money. While I know that can be relative to a person's income, I think we all know that over the last 5-10 years, a 3-400 hundred dollar bolt rifle fits this category. While I don't have any desire to have a safe full of this kind of rifle, having a couple of them to use is not a bad thing.

I bought that Marlin XL7 for $279. To me, that's a hell of a deal. I bought and gave my brother 3 Ruger Americans. The most I paid for one was $284 for a stainless .243 Win.

There have been a lot of post here with good examples. With today's economy I think a rifle in the 4-500 dollar range probably falls in to the economy rifle bracket.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Marlin XL/XS 7's
savage 200
Walmart/Academy Sports rem 700

2 Kings 2:23-24
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Browning A-Bolt II. Wasn't cheap when it was new, but by the time they were discontinued they only cost a pittance. I bought my first one for $330 in 2013, and have bought a couple used ones for $500ish over the years. Quality, accurate, solid rifles. Not the cheapest thing out there, but in my opinion one of the cheapest rifles that works like a high end rifle and feels quality, unlike an American which shoots great but feels like crap

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The blind mag Walmart Winchester 70 push feed plastic stock rifles were a heck of a good value and still are on the used market. I have had several in 270 and 30-06 and all have been shooters and have the older better Winchester 70 trigger.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I bought two Steven 200 rifles on a close out deal for $180 each. One in .270 and one in 7-08. I did some polishing and spring changes on the triggers. My intention was for these to be loaner/ATV/truck rifles which they have excelled at. They quickly became my most used rifles. Those two rifles have accounted for a tremendous amount of animals between myself and the many people I have loaned them out to. Some of the best money I have ever spent.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Stevens 200.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by aboltfan
PoC,

By economy rifle I do mean cheap money. While I know that can be relative to a person's income, I think we all know that over the last 5-10 years, a 3-400 hundred dollar bolt rifle fits this category. While I don't have any desire to have a safe full of this kind of rifle, having a couple of them to use is not a bad thing.

I bought that Marlin XL7 for $279. To me, that's a hell of a deal. I bought and gave my brother 3 Ruger Americans. The most I paid for one was $284 for a stainless .243 Win.

There have been a lot of post here with good examples. With today's economy I think a rifle in the 4-500 dollar range probably falls in to the economy rifle bracket.

I’ve got to say the Ruger American series are great rifles. Reliable and more accurate than they should be for the price. I own two ranch rifles and I’m impressed.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Tikka before they became mainstream.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
The CVA cascade has my attention right now. Anyone have one care to comment.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
It is hard to leave those Walmart closeout Vanguards of a few years ago out of this discussion. I bought three of the wood stocked 243s at $325 ea. I still have one.

It gets my vote for third place, only because it was a closeout deal and not regular price.

Originally Posted by TnBigBore
The blind mag Walmart Winchester 70 push feed plastic stock rifles were a heck of a good value and still are on the used market. I have had several in 270 and 30-06 and all have been shooters and have the older better Winchester 70 trigger.

2'nd place goes to that Winchester "Black Shadow" kit. I bought one in 300 Win Mag 30 years ago new at Walmart for $300. The 3-9x32 Simmons went on a 22 and a decent scope went on the 300.

Winchester's discount rifles still had their wonderful user adjustable trigger. I lightened the trigger pull and glassed the action into the tupperware. But the rifle never shot to my expectations. I sold it to a workmate after showing him my targets. He and his sons have been killing deer and elk with it for over 25 years.

My first place vote goes to the old Win 670 push feed. I have had two, both in 30-06. With trigger adjustment and glass bedding they both shot inside .75 MOA with 165 gr BTs or Sierra 165 gr game king HP, and the second one also with the Hornady 190 gr boat tail spire point.

It is essentially the same rifle as the later Black Shadow synthetic. But for the "hardwood" stock.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Marlin XS/XL 7
^^ This one ^^

+2!

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
About this time last year I bought a Marlin XL 7 SS 270. Made in Kentucky from a very old dealer friend I had helped get into the bidnizz back in the early/mid '80's. Got it scoped up and headed to the range in anticipation of a perfect go anywhere anytime rig. Opened a box of older WW factory ammo and sent a round down range....perfect 1st shot, made a couple more rounds downrange and then Oh SxxT !! somethin's wrong here... let the rifle cool a while Then tried to open the bolt again ....ugh it was stuck. Finally used the butt of my gloved up hand a few times on the bolt handle and Wah Lah !!! it opened ...but with the tinkling sound of gun parts hitting the cement side walk and inside the composite stock are still ringing in my ears every time I pick the Marlin 270 up.

Been almost a year looking to find someone who could find the Savage extractor necessary to the repair job. Then found a guy next couty north of me who said UH HUH I can fixit and I laughed. He called me a week later and said $81 please sir and the Marlin cycles like a new one should .

I am still waiting on the weather to clear, as most of the range's bench's are not under a roof....but I can cycle the bolt slicker than blowing you nose full of snot now that the bolt is slicker than greased poop.

Shooting single shots & using a cleaning rod to knock the spent rounds out of the chamber, the rifle shoot's a reliable 1/2" group in almost any thing in factory ammo I've run thru it so far....I smile everytime I think about how close I got to dumping the rifle in the river and calling my Insurance Agent about the rifle that was "stolen" outta the truck. I took a large hog with it that thought he was hiding and peeking at me thru a hand sized hole in some really dense brush at about 150- 170 yards ...bang flop....gotta luv happy endings.

Last edited by sakoron; 11/21/22. Reason: Clarity
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JMR40
Those were good rifles in their day, but they were discontinued because something better came along. If I had a Marlin X gun, a 788, or a TC in the safe I'd use it, but can't think of a good reason to buy one when for the same money or less I can do better.

Stevens 200s are so expensive when you find them, might as well buy a used Savage 10/110

The 200 is a Savage 110 with a different color stock.

The Marlin X guns were discontinued because Freedom Group bought Marlin and chose not to continue making them as competition against their existing line of entry level Remingtons.

The T-C were discontinued because S&W bought T-C and chose to discontinue the entire T-C line.

I don't know why Remington discontinued the 788s, but Remington is well known for making poor choices.

What would you buy that is better for equal or less money?

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
233 members (12344mag, 1Longbow, 160user, 257 roberts, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 25 invisible), 1,849 guests, and 866 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,800
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.