Page 1 of 2 1 2
#17807567 11/16/22
N
ndh19 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Saturday is Wi opener. Most of the state has some snow and forecast is low in single digits. Brrrrr! Good luck and be safe. Neal

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good luck to you.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Good luck to you! The cold temps will probably give me the woods to myself after opener. PERFECT!

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good Luck everyone, I am hoping that the temps will have most of the public land guys heading to their cars by 8am.

"Jerry is dead, Phish suck time to get a job "
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone
Good luck to you! The cold temps will probably give me the woods to myself after opener. PERFECT!

Packers play tomorrow night so expect more folks than normal in the woods on Sunday. laugh

WWP53D
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SKane

Packers play tomorrow night so expect more folks than normal in the woods on Sunday. laugh

laugh Very true.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ndh19
Saturday is Wi opener. Most of the state has some snow and forecast is low in single digits. Brrrrr! Good luck and be safe. Neal

Good luck to you as well. Our gang always welcome snow for the gun deer season.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

That’s funny. I just told my wife that would happen.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just packed up my down arctic parka and pants. I haven't needed that outfit in years, but that's not going to be the case this season. A cold guy in a cotton hoodie doing a warm up walk about in the national forest is as close as I'll get to a deer drive.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Ready for the cold temps, the Sitka Infurno suit is ready to go! Welcoming the snow too for hunting, not for travel, but it'll be great in the woods. Be safe, enjoy and good luck!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good luck, Wisconsin fellas!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Packers and WI deer hunting in the same conversation.... Hoping the latter nets a better outcome.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've never sat my property and not seen deer, until this last weekend! Lol! Made for 2 long days! Didn't hear a lot of shooting either, I think with the wind we were having (and it was blowing hard!) that the deer were just bedded down and not moving. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
I've never sat my property and not seen deer, until this last weekend! Lol! Made for 2 long days! Didn't hear a lot of shooting either, I think with the wind we were having (and it was blowing hard!) that the deer were just bedded down and not moving. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

You were not alone. Cold windy, mutha. Not much shooting and barely a deer to be seen.

Others I know had slightly better luck, but not necessarily as expected.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Found a decent one on opening morning. He was cruising for does, head down nose to the ground, until he saw me raise my rifle. Then he turned towards me.

8pt, 17" inside spread. Busted brow tine and G3. Shot at about 40 yards with a Remington 760, 30-06, 150gr Hornady Interlock. He dropped at the shot.

Yesterday afternoon he weighed 199.8 pounds when we got him hung in the garage.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice going tzone, You really did sneak up on one! I was thinking about that post of yours sitting on my stand because no one walks any farther than their stand site where I go up in The National Forest. Saturday opening was brutal with those sideways snow squalls and high winds. Sunday was better and I smote one myself at about 8 am.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by WiFowler
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson

You were not alone. Cold windy, mutha. Not much shooting and barely a deer to be seen.

Others I know had slightly better luck, but not necessarily as expected.

We have only seen one buck. But I've seen a lot of does. On tuesday I saw 9 does in various locations. 3 were right by the cabin when I went out to start the truck. laugh

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Windfall
Nice going tzone, You really did sneak up on one! I was thinking about that post of yours sitting on my stand because no one walks any farther than their stand site where I go up in The National Forest. Saturday opening was brutal with those sideways snow squalls and high winds. Sunday was better and I smote one myself at about 8 am.

There wasn't much going on for the first 3 days of the season. But Tuesday and Wednesday there were guys all over the place.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Found a decent one on opening morning. He was cruising for does, head down nose to the ground, until he saw me raise my rifle. Then he turned towards me.

8pt, 17" inside spread. Busted brow tine and G3. Shot at about 40 yards with a Remington 760, 30-06, 150gr Hornady Interlock. He dropped at the shot.

Yesterday afternoon he weighed 199.8 pounds when we got him hung in the garage.
Good deal - congrats!

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Nice tzone!

Headed back to the property tomorrow...

Found a nice 760 in 300 Savage, would be a nice companion gun to my 722 in 300 Savage...

Last edited by DeanAnderson; 11/24/22.

NRA life member

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

140 members (300_savage, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 260madman, 27 invisible), 1,188 guests, and 935 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,471
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.