24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My .223/5.56 hunting ARs are getting dusty and I'm getting a little restless.

Has the quality if .22 Nosler brass changed for the better?

Not much info that I can find on the .375 SOCOM. Has anyone here fiddled with it?

I'm not open to 6.8 SPC or the .300 BO. I have stuff in 6mm Grendel and like it fine, but I have no interest in going back to 6.5 G either. If it was easy to do a .22-6.8 SPC I might go there, but it does not appear to be easy to find a barrel.

TIA.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

ARIC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
224 Grendel is where it's at. Pass the Lapooey brass,Lever',400's and 88 ELD's in ASC's. Hint...........

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I could see doing that Stick. What speeds are you getting with those 88s?

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I like them at 2750fps in a 20",in multiple Krunchentickers. Have 'em in multiple bolt guns as short as 19" and LOVE it there too. I'm thinking (8) rifles all told. Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds pretty potent. Who's supplying the barrels these days?

Don't be the darkness.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm thinking Harrison is out,but I'm glad I bought a few extras. Hint.(grin)

I'd give Mark a shout at PF and see what he coul arrange for you. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Though I've got "headspaced bolts",I'd not fret that,on things I'm driving an initial false shoulder upon by default. Hint................

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Does the PF barrels without a bolt above come with the barrel extension?

Last edited by TexasTBag; 11/18/22.

Despite my user name, no I am not from Texas.........

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Call Mark,because he KNOWS his schit and put your mind at ease,while he talks his own business in the first hand. Hint.

Yes. It is tough to Test Fire,less an extension. Hint..................(grin)

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Ha, didn’t see the test fired part. Thanks!

Despite my user name, no I am not from Texas.........

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Stick. You steered me right on the 6mmAR, so I may be firing off some questions for you. I still haven't made up my mind about pursuing this idea.

Don't be the darkness.

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Not much info that I can find on the .375 SOCOM. Has anyone here fiddled with it?

I have built 8 or 10... I forget exactly...

IDENTICAL MATH to .358 Winchester. IDENTICAL!

Tony Ramore on this site invented...

VERY VERY early load development...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Got her down to about 0.7 MOA in the end.

Sierra #2900 bullets... the best, but hard to find... seasonal run kinda thing.

Last edited by CashisKing; 11/18/22. Reason: Forgot the pic...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CashisKing

I have built 8 or 10... I forget exactly...

IDENTICAL MATH to .358 Winchester. IDENTICAL!

Tony Ramore on this site invented...

VERY VERY early load development...

Got her down to about 0.7 MOA in the end.

Sierra #2900 bullets... the best, but hard to find... seasonal run kinda thing.

That's very interesting...I think that would be a hog-flattening SOB and that's something I could [and would happily] use. I could look it up but I'm lazy by nature and there you are...so how do you come up with brass for the .375 SOCOM? That would be my biggest concern.

Don't be the darkness.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
...so how do you come up with brass for the .375 SOCOM? That would be my biggest concern.

Neck down .458S.

Starline... https://www.starlinebrass.com/458-socom-brass/

In Stock... I am sure someone will split a K with you.

Also 458SocomForums.Com has a .375S sub section... Member "Big Bore" is great on TRUTHFUL Socom stuff

This Link

500 yards is the outer limit for .375S in my opinion... 400 minus is ideal.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Mostly ARs...

But did bolt versions also.

Born as a Walmart $279 .243 Youth ADL RR back in the day... sold parts and built with GM blanks.

Any .473 bolt gun will work.

Rings too high... Minox drama swap.

AA2520 gave me 2,575 FPS

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
SBR in Georgia has headstamped brass, barrels, complete uppers and rifles and loaded ammo if you want that.
Excellent cartridge, I shoot Speer 235 gr bullets out of my 375 Socom. 2200 fps no problems
Good Hunting
Lj

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Heavybullets
SBR in Georgia has headstamped brass, barrels, complete uppers and rifles and loaded ammo if you want that.
Excellent cartridge, I shoot Speer 235 gr bullets out of my 375 Socom. 2200 fps no problems
Good Hunting
Lj

This thread has aged a bit, but I appreciate the input. I ultimately abandoned the .375 SOCOM idea for a number of different reasons and the .22 Nosler idea never did really appeal to me in the first place. I sold my bedside ARs, reconfigured my hunting 5.56s to be bedside guns, and then relented on the 6.8 SPC II. It works well enough on hogs, but no better than my 6 ARs. The recent acquisition of a large frame AR in .260 has me re considering the use of AR15s for any hunting at all, but I'm not making any further changes anytime soon. The transmission is in PARK for now.

Anyway, I'm curious as to how well that Speer 235 at 2200 is working. I'm loading it in .375 Winchester with the meplat cut and filed flat, and I'm getting just under 2100 out of it with Re7. The intention is to use it on hogs in wooded areas and at fairly close range. This has been the plan for a long time but I have yet to poke a hole in a big pig with it while afoot. I'd kinda like to know what to expect in terms of effectiveness. I don't wear track shoes when I hunt.

Don't be the darkness.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
491 members (10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 45 invisible), 2,178 guests, and 1,011 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,160
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.