Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Using double gun in 470, 500, 577 Nitro Express is all about close encounters, skill and thrill. That’s fine for the journeyman hunter that has repeated the thrill several times. I’ll bet they started DG hunting on scoped turn bolts from 150 yards out until they were seasoned enough on game and habits. Just an observation.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Between the hayseed camo, plastic bolt rifles with huge scopes, maybe the buffalo was trying to thin out the herd on our side of the evolutionary ladder. At least the JRT gave them some warning

https://www.reddit.com/r/Hunting/comments/civnu8/they_dont_call_cape_buffalo_black_death_for/

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by swiftshot
What would you rather hunt DG with if money was not an issue and why?

Bolt. But only Blaser.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by mrmarklin

Bolt. But only Blaser.

Had an interesting experience reloading for a friend’s 375 H&H Blaser barrel for a trip to Zim about 12 years ago. The rifle appeared to go completely into battery with the reloaded cartridges, except it wouldn’t fire when the trigger was pulled. Visually the bolt was fully closed and no indication of any problem was identifiable.

When I measured headspace of those cartridges, it became obvious the cases, once fired in another rifle were slightly long for the Blaser chamber. Easy adjustment with a body bump die. However, had this happened in the field when my friend was facing a Cape buffalo, it could have ended poorly. In contrast with conventional Mauser or Winchester M-70 type of bolt action rifle, the bolt would have obviously not locked into battery and an easily identified visual cue would have alerted the shooter to the problem.

I am not arguing about the use of the straight pull Blaser mechanism, but it would clearly not be my choice for a true DGR bolt. I disclose that I personally use Win M-70 and Ruger M-77 CRF bolts preferentially for DGRs so I have a bias for that mechanism. It’s never let me down. I’m just relating my experience and acknowledge that YMMV.

BTW, I resolved the reloading error I made and my friend used his Blaser with the 375 H&H bbl for a nice Cape buff and his 300 Win Mag bbl for several PG & a leopard.

Last edited by Wildcatter264; 11/17/22. Reason: spelling

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A Blaser would be just about the last rifle I'd want to hunt DG with except maybe a 700.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Wildcatter264
Originally Posted by mrmarklin

Bolt. But only Blaser.

Had an interesting experience reloading for a friend’s 375 H&H Blaser barrel for a trip to Zim about 12 years ago. The rifle appeared to go completely into battery with the reloaded cartridges, except it wouldn’t fire when the trigger was pulled. Visually the bolt was fully closed and no indication of any problem was identifiable.

When I measured headspace of those cartridges, it became obvious the cases, once fired in another rifle were slightly long for the Blaser chamber. Easy adjustment with a body bump die. However, had this happened in the field when my friend was facing a Cape buffalo, it could have ended poorly. In contrast with conventional Mauser or Winchester M-70 type of bolt action rifle, the bolt would have obviously not locked into battery and an easily identified visual cue would have alerted the shooter to the problem.

I am not arguing about the use of the straight pull Blaser mechanism, but it would clearly not be my choice for a true DGR bolt. I disclose that I personally use Win M-70 and Ruger M-77 CRF bolts preferentially for DGRs so I have a bias for that mechanism. It’s never let me down. I’m just relating my experience and acknowledge that YMMV.

BTW, I resolved the reloading error I made and my friend used his Blaser with the 375 H&H bbl for a nice Cape buff and his 300 Win Mag bbl for several PG & a leopard.

My action preference is 98 Mausers

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I would be hard pressed to improve upon my 416 Rem M70 as a dangerous game rifle. Not too heavy, balances where I like it and is accurate enough for anything I will and have hunted with it. A McM Winchester Express stock, Williams extractor, bolt handle welded and Jim Wisner's front and rear sights, the latter being a copy of the pre-64 M70 Express sight. It's 100% reliable.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice set up for sure, EdM. If I ever feel the need to step up from my 375 H&H's (don't currently), I would set up a 416 Rem in a similar fashion.

Do or do not, there is no try.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
EdM,

Your 416 inspired mine. At the smith's right now getting cerakoted. Got a load all dialed in for 350 TSX's. Waiting to post pics until I get it completely finished.

Then to book another buffalo hunt. grin

Arcus Venator
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Love it!

Here is my only buffalo. With a 404 J

Last edited by CRS; 11/18/22.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There are innumerable stories and examples of hunters who were saved by the instantly available second shot from a double.
And probably just as many examples of where a third or fourth shot from a bolt action saved their life.

The shooter's familiarity and capability with their weapon is paramount, but there is always an element of luck.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is why I am bolt action trash. Intimately familiar with that action.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Under stress you instinctively revert to the familiar.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Hmmm...do they make 760's in .375? laugh

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I am feeling that I want a rifle whose shots will strike where I can predict they will strike all the time.That is the most important requirement-even at longer ranges.That I get with a solidly built rifle with a good barrel.A brand new m70 in 375H&H will answer that call.The recoil on that gun is not enough to knock iron sights around.I shot one my PH received as a gift in Africa.It was really accurate and pleasant to shoot offhand.

Last edited by swiftshot; 11/26/22.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
...The recoil on that gun is not enough to knock iron sights around......

That's something I'd not ever heard before. Must be alot of 458+ iron sights lying around in the dirt around the place.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am feeling that I want a rifle whose shots will strike where I can predict they will strike all the time.That is the most important requirement-even at longer ranges.That I get with a solidly built rifle with a good barrel.A brand new m70 in 375H&H will answer that call.The recoil on that gun is not enough to knock iron sights around.I shot one my PH received as a gift in Africa.It was really accurate and pleasant to shoot offhand.

Never ever had iron sight knocked around. crazy

Anything can work loose, but a modicum diligence takes care of that.

Arcus Venator
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by CRS

" modicum diligence" Does Brownell's carry that glue?

Last edited by swiftshot; 11/28/22.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CRS

" modicum diligence" Does Brownell's carry that glue?

You can get it a most hardware stores. cool

Arcus Venator
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

239 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 257 mag, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 300jimmy, 18 invisible), 1,414 guests, and 913 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,061
Posts18,463,312
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.