Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
So you're gonna retire the ol .308 Win and get on track with the modern world.

Nice. laugh

Not sure how you got that out of my post? I've owned a 6.5 CM going back over four years. It won't be replacing my 308's.

Just pokin a bit of fun.

No problem John smile

Hope you're well...

Good.

I know the way you hunt it would be hard to find a better round than the good ol .308 Win for killin bulls.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Creed is a very nice round, & if one doesn't already have a 7-08, 270 Win, or a 280 Rem, all of which are ballistically essentially the same, given the right bullets, then the Creed is a no brainer.

What it has going for it is a short action, mild recoil & a nice size package, properly twisted barrel & excellent factory ammo loadings availability.

But if you have one of the other 3 above, there's no real significant performance gain.

The 270 with a Nosler LRAB, for example, is a virtual dupe, ballistically, (ditto for the
7-08 & 280)............albiet in a heavier package with more recoil & it's a handloading only proposition.

I'm sure I'll end up with one, just because, but not because I need it nor because it will measurably outperform what I already have.

JMHO, YMMV

MM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
MM: I agree completely. And for my purposes, I could add the 25/06 and my fav, the 257R.

But I just got a M70 6.5CM, and I must admit was impressed when the 1st 2 three shot groups, with factory ammo, were less than .7” (Hornady and Winchester) Talk about the easy button!

And I don’t give a hoot about the BCs. I never shoot at anything beyond 300, maybe 350 at a pig!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by southtexas
MM: I agree completely. And for my purposes, I could add the 25/06 and my fav, the 257R.

But I just got a M70 6.5CM, and I must admit was impressed when the 1st 2 three shot groups, with factory ammo, were less than .7” (Hornady and Winchester) Talk about the easy button!

And I don’t give a hoot about the BCs. I never shoot at anything beyond 300, maybe 350 at a pig!
I have a number of similar performing rifles, overlapping the CM. But I also have a CM. I’d do it again.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cra1948
I love Creedmore articles…. It’s fun watching the new kid on the block struggling to keep up with my 6.5x55.

LOL, The Queen of DaNile!

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
The Creed is a very nice round, & if one doesn't already have a 7-08, 270 Win, or a 280 Rem, all of which are ballistically essentially the same, given the right bullets, then the Creed is a no brainer.

What it has going for it is a short action, mild recoil & a nice size package, properly twisted barrel & excellent factory ammo loadings availability.

But if you have one of the other 3 above, there's no real significant performance gain.

The 270 with a Nosler LRAB, for example, is a virtual dupe, ballistically, (ditto for the
7-08 & 280)............albiet in a heavier package with more recoil & it's a handloading only proposition.

I'm sure I'll end up with one, just because, but not because I need it nor because it will measurably outperform what I already have.

JMHO, YMMV

MM
Originally Posted by southtexas

Originally Posted by NVhntr
I love Creedmore articles…. It’s fun watching the new kid on the block struggling to keep up with my 6.5x55.

LOL, The Queen of DaNile!

You guys are gonna talk me into building more 6.5 mm CMs.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, you could make a worst choice, like a 308, or a 30-40 Krag............................jusy sayin.

MM

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
As I've mentioned before, I gave my Swede, which I handloaded and hunted with since forever, to my nephew as a reward for completing putting himself through college. He always liked that rifle.
It also came with 100 rounds of handloaded 140 gr. Partitions. As an aside, a couple of COVID hunting seasons past, I sure was missing those Partitions.

Imagine the shock and possibly horror about 3 seasons ago when I showed up in Elk camp with a one of those dang CMs and - OMG - FACTORY AMMO eek
Some of the regulars were sure I wuz gonna dye my hair and grow out a manbun. Now that would NOT be a pretty sight.

Now 3 seasons later, the sun still rises and sets on schedule, the haircut is still high-n-tight, and that little whipper snapper of a cartridge has put 6 Elk in the freezer. Just like the Swede would regularly do.

Huh, imagine that.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Puddle,

Ya reckon them elk can tell the difference between a Swede and a Creed? Well, dead elk can’t talk.

Doubt hunters can tell any difference, either.

DF

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
One way to describe it is a Swede with better logistics.

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Puddle,

Ya reckon them elk can tell the difference between a Swede and a Creed? Well, dead elk can’t talk.

Doubt hunters can tell any difference, either.

DF

Can't say for sure, but I think one Elk gave me a sideways glance thinking "at least he 'aint using that damn .257 Roberts..." cry

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
if i was a young growing family and i had to pick a cartridge today it would be the 6.5 Creedmoor reason ammo is easy to find,less recoil and this is the big reason : everyone would have the same dam cartridge. but myself now at 69 years of age my family the ladies and kids all have a 257 Roberts now ,son and i a 257 Weatherby mags. , but like i said if it was now today all of us would be using a 6.5 Creedmoor. simple makes the hunt go so much easier when everyone one has the same dang cartridge , i also kinda feel these Ruger #1`s work easier too and are safer too for ladies and youth.

Last edited by pete53; 11/23/22.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

We thought this old bull died, no one had seen him in a long time, caught him at a water hole last week, 6.5 CM worked fine with a 139 Scenar, DRT. Rio7

S
SWJ Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Was reading my Oct. '22 Handloader mag and really liked JB's article, "The 6.5 Creedmoor Again". I know that subject has been beat to death, but JB does a great job, as usual.

A couple of his loads caught my eye. The 140 VLD Hunting over 46 gr. RL-26 at 2,835 fps, posting .54" at a hundred. Now, that one has promise, gonna load some of those. Another was the 127 LRX over 44 gr. StaBALL, shot a .99" group. He was shooting a Vanguard First Lite, which seemed to perform very well. There were a number of great loads, those two tweaked my interest.

Thanks John, for your attention to detail and excellent articles.

DF

Also enjoyed the article. Was at a local big box LGS and looked at a Weatherby Firstlite rifle. The forend seem very flexible like some of the early RAR’s. I didn’t see JB mention this in his article. Also mentioned in GG4 as a good rifle. Is this a common feature of this rifle?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
SWJ,

The forend on my First Lite is NOT "very flexible like some of the early RAR's." In fact it is very stiff--which I mentioned in the article.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
SWJ Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for the reply. Must have missed that in the article. Will have to go back and check the rifle out again. I liked it overall but was surprised by the flex.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Not so certain.
Using my inferior Swede as an example, I have found it to not reach
enough velocity for certain bullets to kill well.

Different bullets, it now does very well.
Pretty certain there are some factory Creed loads that might be the same.
Different shot placement, bigger deer, luck....YMMV.

Curious about the bullets that worked/didn’t work for you. All I’ve shot deer with in my 6.5x55 has been 130 grain NAB’s and , now, I’m using 130 SGK HPBT. I’m not pushing them hard, running just on 2700 fps, but those two are working okay for me. The Sierra I’ve just started using, but it seems to work.
Matching bullet construction with velocity for optimal performance is an art form.

For example, one would think a mono wouldn’t have a velocity ceiling. Well maybe, maybe not.

My .240 Wby shooting the 80 TTSX at 3,600 fps didn’t work so well on a WT doe. Huge blast effect on chest wall, underperformance inside the chest.

That gun shines with the 100 NPT and that’s the load I’m sticking with. Seems to be an optimal balance, speed vs bullet design, accuracy and terminal performance.

Experience trumps theory.

DF
I think monos most certainly do have a optimum velocity window. For instance my brother shots a 300wsm and I a 300 RUM. Both use 175GR LRX bullets. My load is 300 ft per second faster, yet his gun always seems to kill stuff faster given similar shots.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
BWalker,

The LRXs are designed to open easier at lower, long-range velocities. As a result sometimes the petals come off at closer ranges and higher impact velocities. This generally results in a smaller wound channel.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Buddy of mine has two 6.5 Creed's and they are accurate and capable. I even reload some of his ammo because I'm retired and he's not. It's probably a better all around cartridge than my old 6.5x55 Swede in a sporterized Mod. 96 with a B&C stock and a Dayton - Traister trigger. I describe it as a 6.5 Swedemoor and I like it enough that I'm not gonna run out and buy a 6.5 Creed. If that ain't enough there's a T/C Encore rifle in 7mm-08 here so I really don't need a Creed. JB's 6.5 Creed article was cool in that he mentioned his "normal test load" of 41.5 gr. of H-4350 with a 140 gr. bullet. JB has mentioned that load previously on this web site and I can say that it works in my buddies 2 Creed's. Another friend has a loaner Ruger American in 6.5 Creed from a friend so his niece can sit in his enclosed blind this weekend and maybe get her first whitetail. That will also be using JB's test load. Only deviation from JB's load is a 140 gr. soft point blem bullet that Midway was selling a year or two ago. He bought 500 of 'em and they shoot good.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by BWalker
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Not so certain.
Using my inferior Swede as an example, I have found it to not reach
enough velocity for certain bullets to kill well.

Different bullets, it now does very well.
Pretty certain there are some factory Creed loads that might be the same.
Different shot placement, bigger deer, luck....YMMV.

Curious about the bullets that worked/didn’t work for you. All I’ve shot deer with in my 6.5x55 has been 130 grain NAB’s and , now, I’m using 130 SGK HPBT. I’m not pushing them hard, running just on 2700 fps, but those two are working okay for me. The Sierra I’ve just started using, but it seems to work.
Matching bullet construction with velocity for optimal performance is an art form.

For example, one would think a mono wouldn’t have a velocity ceiling. Well maybe, maybe not.

My .240 Wby shooting the 80 TTSX at 3,600 fps didn’t work so well on a WT doe. Huge blast effect on chest wall, underperformance inside the chest.

That gun shines with the 100 NPT and that’s the load I’m sticking with. Seems to be an optimal balance, speed vs bullet design, accuracy and terminal performance.

Experience trumps theory.

DF
I think monos most certainly do have a optimum velocity window. For instance my brother shots a 300wsm and I a 300 RUM. Both use 175GR LRX bullets. My load is 300 ft per second faster, yet his gun always seems to kill stuff faster given similar shots.
Thanks for sharing that.

Actual experience can sometimes veer from theory and conventional wisdom.

DF

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 160user, 76 invisible), 2,443 guests, and 1,130 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,118
Posts18,464,562
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.