Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by MOGC
I like Semi Skinner designs with the blade/handle angle a bit straighter than the Dozier. Here's a Menefee...
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Charles May...

Gene Ingram...

that Charles May is the stuff.

The expert at anything was once a beginner.

JC
BP-B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The more i use them, the more I like a nessmuk style knife.

Originally Posted by geedubya
Let me first issue a disclaimer. I am in Texas and I hunt out of a camp. Typically, I do not field dress, rather bring back the animal, whole, hang and go to work. I do not have the occasion to skin elk, bear, moose, etc. I skin more hogs than anything else. So, the following thoughts may not be relevant to your situation. Next, my taste in knifes has evolved over the last ten years or so. I have been fortunate to be able to try quite a few different types and styles of knives, both production and custom.

2nd Disclaimer. I sold a bunch of my knives back in February of this year. IIRC, all of the knives pictured in this reply I still own. I have not asked permission of the new owners to show pix of their knives.

Finally, asking a knife-slut which style he prefers' is kinda like opening a Pandora's box, but.......

So many options from which to choose.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Production or custom?
Large or small?
Edge retention or ease of re-sharpening
Are you hunting out of a camp where weight and space are not a concern.
Simple hide removal or caping (no holes in skin).
Boner or Nessmuck or Hunter or Semi-Skinner blade.
One do it all or a combo pack?

A Nessmuk style knife works great in a skinning knife, but IMHO it does have minor limitations.
I like a knife with what I call “belly”. I do not push with a knife when skinning. Rather I pull or flex my wrist in a downward motion. If you think about it, there can be incremental differences between a semi-skinner and a Nessmuk style blade.

Here are four that I collaborated with the maker during what I call my “nessmuk” period. The knife on the left is L6 steel, the other three are “Etched” A2 steel and do not show discoloration and staining like a polished blade of A2.

This may be drawing to fine a distinction, but to me the limitations of a Nessmuck style blade come when caping, taking out the backstraps and separating the ball joint socket on the hinds. I prefer the Semi-Skinner blade profile.........

My idea of perfection in a Semi-Skinner", Etched A2 Steel

or a Loveless drop point hunter style when including those two tasks, over the Semi-Skinner or Nessmuk.

Anywho, play with enough, and I'm willing to bet you'll find what you like!

ya!

GWB

The expert at anything was once a beginner.

JC
S
sns2 Online Content OP
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by longarm
…. Whoopi Goldberg is arguably female .. G*d forbid, it would 'work' if that's all you want it to do. I'm real happy to have options.

If you could get your plumbing to work for Whoopi Goldberg, you’re a better man than I!

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by sns2
…. Whoopi Goldberg is arguably female .. G*d forbid, it would 'work' if that's all you want it to do. I'm real happy to have options.

If you could get your plumbing to work for Whoopi Goldberg, you’re a better man than I!

Hey buddy,
That's funny - I don't remember typing that in. Must have been a coupla beers in. Anyway, no sir.. no Whoopi 4 me!

S
sns2 Online Content OP
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by sns2

Hey buddy,
That's funny - I don't remember typing that in. Must have been a coupla beers in. Anyway, no sir.. no Whoopi 4 me!

I couldn’t help but take advantage of taking that completely out of context:) Those three little dots … can make a big difference.

Your post was on p.2 of this thread.

Here it is in its entirety:

Boise,
Ok. If anything will work and that's all that's required, then why not just go hunting with a rock? I know from your previous posts you have a nice collection of knives.
Yes, almost any knife will 'work', even a piece of glass. Ok. I've done a couple of antelope with a Swiss Army knife.. It was okay.
I find a lot of pleasure in researching the different blade shapes, steel types, geometry and trying them out, seeing what works best for me and the critters I hunt. Sure a box cutter or a safety razor 'will work', but that's not going to give me any pleasure.
Whoopi Goldberg is arguably female .. G*d forbid, it would 'work' if that's all you want it to do. I'm real happy to have options.

__————————-

I think I’d go asexual if Whoopi were the last female on earth! Could you imagine?

Last edited by sns2; 11/18/22.
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
"I think I’d go asexual if Whoopi were the last female on earth! Could you imagine? "

Shane,
I cannot. Thankfully, my options are not limited, either in knives or female companions
Dan

J
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
J
5 inch Buffalo skinner, not a puma.

Not mine, but nearly identical as this one is solingen steel. Mines a Speco maybe? Not all created equal, edgemarks were thinner and cheaper, IMO

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/4472/E7hucW.jpg

Blade is hefty enough to pop joints, the serrated area on the back of the blade is handy when you need to apply some pressure. The shape is good for head to tail gutting and deboning and skinning. High carbon steel holds the edge.

Or get a orange cutco

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
S
sns2 Online Content OP
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
S
"I think I’d go asexual if Whoopi were the last female on earth! Could you imagine? "

Shane,
I cannot. Thankfully, my options are not limited, either in knives or female companions
Dan

Atta boy!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by czech1022
Dwayne:

Your beautiful sheep horn handled knives remind me of traditional Canadian Belt Knives. Were those your inspiration?

I've never used one of them, but a couple of people on this forum think the world of them. For my part, the blade shape is my idea of skinning / meat slicing perfection, with just enough of a sharp pointed tip that getting into tight places while gutting would be very easy.

It seems that you've deepened the part where the handle meets the blade - I've always thought that with its narrow neck the CBK might easily twist in your hand when blood and fat ends up covering everything.

czech1022;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the day is bright and fair in your section of the planet and you're well.

Sorry that I missed this earlier and just stumbled on it when reading some old threads.

For sure that's my interpretation of a Grohmann shape, sort of the Belt Knife crossed with a Bird & Trout. The 52100 blade I have is a close copy of their Bird & Trout for sure.

One of the things we often neglect to include in some of these discussions - I think - is the size of the user and specifically the user's hands.

I'm 5'5" nowadays and usually buy medium gloves if I don't want the fingers way too long.

A handle that works for me and my hands won't work for someone with larger hands or surely might not.

On the two sheep horn blades I did, if I could figure out a way to cut jimping into the back of the blades better - I'm working on that, truly I am - but currently cutting them in with a cut off wheel and Dremel results in good function which isn't always pretty. Again I'm working with already tempered planer blades to start with.

The shape of the Crotts Semi Skinner, as well as the grind and where he's put the jimping looks awfully close to "just right" to me for the type of work I'll put to a blade.

Again sorry for the delay, all the best and good hunting.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Marcin Bona,

a Polish maker.........

Field Knife, Nc6 Steel.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
IC B3

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
739 members (10gaugemag, 222ND, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,715 guests, and 1,375 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,690
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.