Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by KillerBee
Originally Posted by SupFoo
Should have known the Linux Forehead Thumpers would hijack this thread.
It's not their fault SupFoo, tech heads have no clue about anything really.

They fail to realize that 99% of people that own a home computer, just want to turn it on and have it work like turning on a TV, without getting into Minutia.
Shockingly, some will also handload ammunition.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ironbender

They fail to realize that 99% of people that own a home computer, just want to turn it on and have it work like turning on a TV, without getting into Minutia.
Shockingly, some will also handload ammunition.

Who cares? lol

Last edited by KillerBee; 11/18/22.

KB

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If someone wants to keep feeding Bill Gates by running Windows, have at it, along with all the forced updates.

Run a Linux OS and you are the one in control, they work every day. And I handload for everything I shoot, I'm in control of what I shoot.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
WayneShaw, you missed my point,

99% of people using computers out there do no know what Linux is or for that matter what CakePhp, PHP, MySQL, Centos etc, etc, etc...........

As I mentioned earlier, they just want to turn on their computer and have it working for them. Anyway that's just my take.

Cheers ~

KB

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have sent several laptops to people with Linux installed. I made a poor choice of Linux OS in the one I sent to Wabi. I can understand why he didn't like it. That was my fault, not Linux's. If I had it back, I'd rectify that.

Dan has one, also. Made a much better choice of OS for his - but the laptop is old and has several problems.

But both of them were ready to turn on and use.Dan can give you his own take on Linux Mint.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Window 11 checked my computer and the CPU, memory, and video card were not upgradeable to Windows 11. Some day maybe I will buy a new computer.
Ditto here... frown

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Some guys want to be in control of their own lives, and some want to be told what to do, where to go, and why. I get it. Let's both not pretend though that your chosen lack of control is a "feature," when we both know it's a "bug."

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Do you think Fred Bear worried about this type of stuff??

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by slumlord
Fred Bear just bought whatever bow he was sold, and was happy not to have to bother with learning anything beyond what was absolutely necessary to be an archer, yeah?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
WayneShaw, you missed my point,

99% of people using computers out there do no know what Linux is or for that matter what CakePhp, PHP, MySQL, Centos etc, etc, etc...........

As I mentioned earlier, they just want to turn on their computer and have it working for them. Anyway that's just my take.

Cheers ~

You left out UNIX which Mac OSX and iOS is based on and certified as such. Linux is too.

Swifty
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Fred Bear just bought whatever bow he was sold, and was happy not to have to bother with learning anything beyond what was absolutely necessary to be an archer, yeah?
🙄😁😁🤣🤣🤣
Fred designed and built or had his company build whatever bow he wanted...

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Some guys want to be in control of their own lives, and some want to be told what to do, where to go, and why. I get it. Let's both not pretend though that your chosen lack of control is a "feature," when we both know it's a "bug."

Bugs, malware, ransomware happen to the best of systems HuntnShoot.

I dare say that I know more about computing then most, since I have been involved in the industry since 1984.

Again, most people do not have the knowledge, time or interest to build their own Linux system. That is and was my only point.

Cheers ~

Last edited by KillerBee; 11/19/22.

KB

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
🙄😁😁🤣🤣🤣
Fred designed and built or had his company build whatever bow he wanted...
You aren't too bright, are you....

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Bugs, malware, ransomware happen to the best of systems HuntnShoot.

I dare say that I know more about computing then most, since I have been involved in the industry since 1984.

Again, most people do not have the knowledge, time or interest to build their own Linux system. That is and was my only point.

Cheers ~
And for people like you, there is an awesome pasture where you get all the grass you want.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Nothing could be farther from the truth IMO. I'm no expert in operating systems, like most I learned on a Windows system, and they kept changing and changing and are still changing it. I installed Ubuntu on an old laptop, to me Ubuntu is not the most user friendly, but I got by. A few glitches we worked out by advice from forums, and it was stable from there. I then got a used Macbook, another learning curve, but doable. I would rate a Mac better than Windows, but still they have their own quirks. Loaded Mint 19.3 on a new/refurbished laptop and it has been great. Very few issues, very fast, programs are readily available, and it does everything I need, every day. Updates are left up to me. The term "open source" means a lot with Linux. People all over the world use these systems and help is readily available, without having to call GEEK SQUAD.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Cheers ~

Interestingly I started my career when Vacuum tubes and relay to relay logic were common and TTL was an infant.

Swifty
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
lol you ladies crack me up!

Carry on.

Cheers ~

Last edited by KillerBee; 11/19/22.

KB

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I have sent several laptops to people with Linux installed. I made a poor choice of Linux OS in the one I sent to Wabi. I can understand why he didn't like it. That was my fault, not Linux's. If I had it back, I'd rectify that.
This might be ol’ Wabi’s best solution.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ten hours to install is ridiculous.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I thought so too, but I am very happy with the end results.

KB

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
725 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 3,170 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,749
Posts18,401,306
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.