Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
sns2 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Was having a nice chat with MOGC and asked him this question. He mentioned that it would make for an interesting, and informative thread. I agreed.

I’ve only had two custom knives made since I fell down this hole, so I have nothing really to add in that regard, but I am waiting on two more.

Love to hear what your answers would be.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
An old time blacksmith made some primitive knives for me back in 2016 and 2017. I gave a couple of them away, but kept a Kephart and a Canada Belt Knife style that he made for me. They aren't as pretty as a Howe, Ingram, or Winston, but they hold an edge and do the job when called upon.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Don't have a lot, only four customs, a couple antique English Bowie's, never sold any. I enjoy carrying a different belt knife every time I hunt. For me folding knives are pocket knives, and hunting knives are fixed blade. When my brother and I were old enough to go deer hunting, we went with our father and two of his friends , and the son of one of them. Both my fathers friends were vets that had walked across Europe in WW2, and both carried big knives, a big Cattaragus, and a Pal, looked like a Kabar, and that planted the seed. I inherited a Cattaragus from my FIL, and have a couple big Brownings, and a big Buck.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No knives with real continental value.

I do have a few i wouldn’t part with....

Couple of Rick’s knives marked “PROTO”

Winston’s
Ingram’s

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
any of mine are for sale at the right price. I am old, not that able to get out, and can't take 'em with me

Sam......

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Every knife I own can be bought.

What if Jessie's girl is Stacy's mom, and her phone number is 867-5309
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
i have my Grand father's Keen Kutter barlow that I treasure.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have 5 I'd not part with.

Bottom knife is my Dad's Case bought in 1966. It bounced around the ranch for 40 years. No way to know how much meat it's cut.

Top knife is a 1981 Buck 110. Last year of the "Woodpecker Lips" hard 440C. I was down in Boise visiting my girlfriend when some scum sucking POS broke into my truck and stole the Randall Model 8 I'd received as my graduation present. I needed a knife so bought this one at a local Army/Navy store. It's been with me through a lot.

[Linked Image]

Third one is the Randall Model 11-3 (in the middle) that little gal I was seeing in Boise bought me as an anniversary present a couple decades later to replace the one that was stolen at her place right before we wed.

[Linked Image]

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Last 2. I'd spoken with Geno Denning about making me a copy of a George Herron pattern I really liked right before he hit a bump in life's road that severely curtailed his knife making. Out of the blue 2 years later he called and said he'd been at the South Carolina State Museum cleaning up a display there sponsored by SCAK where he and Mr. George had contributed various knives/parts/tools illustrating the steps of the knife building process. He told me one of the things in the display was a roughed and heat treated blade of the pattern I wanted and asked if I'd like him to finish up the knife for me...well DUH. The late WC Davis made the folder for me as a matching compliment shortly before he passed. 3 great makers dearly missed.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My all time favorite, it ain't going anywhere but hunting with me. Ingram Slim Hunter...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Ingram B&T matches the Slim and does good work.

The wife and kids gave me this one as a retirement gift. It's a keeper.

Menefee Trapper is a keeper...

Brett Dowell B&T has a home here...

I need a skinner. Ingram Lite Semi...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B3

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I would never sell any knife gifted to me by relatives or my Personel used money-makers.NEVER my hunting knives....

R
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
R
Not a never sell or one that got away but my grandpa’s Old Timer Barlow that he got from a Prince Albert promotion, still have it but broke both blades digging spent bullets out of a old highway post that was used as a backstop when I was a kid.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Geez, got a pile of em. Hoping to make the kids/grandkids happy one day.👊🏻

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Lotta nice blades right there brother, Grats!! 👊🏻

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have my Grandfather's old Schrade. He carried it for at least 40 years. Blade has been sharpened so many times it is thin and a half inch short. It is in a box with other momentos and one day will go to one of his great grandsons.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A few that got away and I wish I had back...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have to be the Uncle Henry i got for my 12th birthday.
The one like a Buck 110. Used it for a number of years, until i started buying other knives to play with. Only one that means anything to me.

Got a Wyoming Knife from my wife for Christmas years ago.
Not sure if it's the knife or me, don't really like it.
Wouldn't be the last knife to go, but in the middle.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Back in '56 I acquired my first real hunting knife. A Kinfolks. My Mother asked "What does
a 12 year old need with a knife like that. Well I still have it, but not used in many years.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have two that I wouldn't sell (one that nobody would want anyway):

Number one is my only custom knife, a drop point hunter my wife gave me for Christmas two years ago. Made by Seth Borries, who was a "Forged in Fire" champion.

Second one is my dad's Western fixed blade hunter. He gave it to me in 1970. Had a broken retainer strap on the sheath, but I carried it, and soon lost the knife.

I never told Dad (his temper was legendary), but I looked for it for years, every time I went for a walk in the woods behind our house, where I assumed I'd lost it.

Fast forward to 2003. We were having a new septic system put in, and my young son told me he'd found a rusty old knife in the dirt pile. That was it!

After 33 years it was recognizable, but rusted beyond repair, and I'll never part with it.

I rewarded my boy with a new Buck Woodsman.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I sold my dad's USA made sharp finger because I never warmed up to it and I had a large box of knives I inherited and didnt use.

Thats the only one because I never really used it growing up and you won't find the USA made versions now.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Long before I'd ever owned any customs, I had a Buck limited edition 1 of xxx I was pretty excited about. I used it on an elk one afternoon and had a bit of a rodeo in the dark packing out when my headlamp chit the bed. Digging out fresh batteries, that knife managed to fall out of my pack and is still on a hillside somewhere. I went back with a metal detector and tried to find it and was pretty bummed not being able to replace it with same.

I now have a drawer full of mostly production and a few customs, but these below are the last I'd part with:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

624 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 1beaver_shooter, 79 invisible), 2,423 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,310
Posts18,449,168
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.