Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
elkrazy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
I live in Illinois (I know, I hate the state and politics, but I love my job) and Illinois is finally allowing centerfire rifles for deer hunting next year. The rules and specifications are listed on their website. I would like to use the 350 Legend in the Ruger American Ranch but there will need to be a fix to use it.

In short, there are limited possibilities for cartridges (350 Legend works) BUT it must be a single shot, including "modified" guns. So you could have a bolt action if you could modify it to be a single shot. Regulations say:

"Modification of a rifle originally manufactured as a repeater (a lever action/bolt action/pump action/semi-automatic, etc.) to a single shot can take many forms, including but not limited to:
- not having the detachable magazine in possession or close proximity,
- removing internal magazine springs and followers,
- using a plug to block the magazine tube,
- purchasing “0 round” magazines,
- or modifying the receiver or internal magazine of the rifle.
Hunters may not be in possession of or in close proximity to a magazine that is capable of making a rifle not a single-shot firearm."

Does anyone know if there are "0 round magazines" for the Ruger? Could you make one? Any other ideas?

I would prefer this route because I could also use the original magazine for other uses. I could buy a CVA single shot but am wanting to find another way.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just don't have the magazine with you as the reg states.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
B
Bry Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Epoxy or JB Weld a magazine so it can’t be loaded.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Trying to figure out the downside of not having a magazone in the rifle. Keep It Simple Stupid seems to apply

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
E
elkrazy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
I’m trying to figure out quick follow up shots without a magazine.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
3D printer

TB, CWD and Covid-19 , free so far.....
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Use a metal mag, disassemble and put a block in it so it will only take one round, reassemble, carry several.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by johnn
Use a metal mag, disassemble and put a block in it so it will only take one round, reassemble, carry several.
Then you have a 2 shooter. 1 in the pipe and one in the mag.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by elkrazy
I’m trying to figure out quick follow up shots without a magazine.
Same as with a 0 round mag. Drop one in the chamber and close the bolt.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If it was mine I'd take a mag, remove follower and spring, and then find a way to fix the follower in place at the top of the mag. Options would include pinning it, or fixing a block inside the mag to hold the follower in place at the top of the mag. That way, when you want to load a round, you simply drop it onto the follower and close the bolt. It will beat having to feed the round into the chamber with no mag in place and nothing to support it, especially when you might be in a hurry, and perhaps wearing gloves.

IC B3

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Waters rifleman offers single shot blocks for various rifle, I believe for Ruger American.
https://www.watersrifleman.com/srlb/

1st John 4:7-8
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ruger shows it uses AR magazines. Is that correct? If so, here's a single shot sled and I'm sure there are others. https://www.mkmachining.com/product/ar-15-single-shot-sled/

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'd buy a CVA. I have the Ruger Ranch in .300 BLK, and it's beeatch to load throught the ejection port. It is much easier to feed from the magazine. So easy to load makes the CVA the clear winner in a ZERO round magazine.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by taylorce1
I'd buy a CVA. I have the Ruger Ranch in .300 BLK, and it's beeatch to load throught the ejection port. It is much easier to feed from the magazine. So easy to load makes the CVA the clear winner in a ZERO round magazine.
Finally someone talking some sense! Y'all are being poor enablers. This is an opportunity to buy a NEW rifle, not modify an old one!

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

This. It’s hard to imagine how clumsy it is to load a Ruger American through the ejection port until you actually try it.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Where's a Ruger No. 1 when you need it?

E
elkrazy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by okie john

This. It’s hard to imagine how clumsy it is to load a Ruger American through the ejection port until you actually try it.

Okie John

Well this is the kind of information I needed. Thank you. I hadn’t thought to consider that. I like look other places. I just don’t like break action rifles a lot.

How hard is the 77/44 to load from the ejection port? Any other non-break action rifles to consider?

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
It can’t be that hard to modify a mag

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Read the review from the person in IL at this link if you care to. https://www.eabco.net/Original-Bob-Sled-AR-15-Match-Single-Shot-Conversion-Magazine_p_15811.html

Has anyone posting here tried one of the single shot blocks to see how the American feeds with one?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by elkrazy
Any other non-break action rifles to consider?

Savage 110 Apex

CVA Cascade

Winchester XPR

Howa Mini

All of these will give you more access to the rifle chamber. Just don't use a one piece rail to mount your optic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

411 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 38 invisible), 1,928 guests, and 1,061 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,726
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.