Print Thread
Hop To
J
jndd Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
What bases can be used for scope mounting on a pre 64 220 swift model 70? Are the bases the same as the post 64 rifles. I have seen online some vintage bases does anyone have any information on them? I would prefer to have bases available today if possible.

GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Jndd: I have a whole bunch of Redfield, new, in the red and white box, one piece, bases for pre-64 Winchester Model 70's - both standard and magnum styles.
I am NOT sure if these older (vintage) Redfield one piece bases fit all of the newer styles of Model 70 Winchesters.
Good luck in your search for the answer to your query.
BTT
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a personal affinity for steel Talley bases and rings. I'm not into lightweight rifles so no aluminum for me. Talk Varmintguy into selling you some of his and they will be right for sure
Phil

Last edited by TenX; 11/16/22.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jndd
What bases can be used for scope mounting on a pre 64 220 swift model 70? Are the bases the same as the post 64 rifles. I have seen online some vintage bases does anyone have any information on them? I would prefer to have bases available today if possible.

First off, when was your rifle made?

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...ester-model-70-scope-mounts#Post17196652

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
jndd Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
My serial # starts with #4 I looked it up and I think it is built around 1936.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
My serial # starts with #4 I looked it up and I think it is built around 1936.

Give us the first 3 followed by xxx and we will let you know. If it is a pre war, and first year production, it is not going to be drilled and tapped on the rear bridge. That is an issue. It is likely not made in 1936, since you say it "starts with #4", but we can confirm. Does it have a 4 digit serial #? Rather than blindly guess, like some of these other guys have done, I'd suggest we start with when it was made.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
J
jndd Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
The serial # is 464xx it has a 5 digit serial #

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The serial # is 464xx it has a 5 digit serial #

Your rifle was made in 1942. That is a pre war and should not be factory drilled and tapped on the rear bridge. If it is, how many holes does it have? If it is drilled and tapped, you could measure the distance between holes to see what may work. I'd start there and then we can help you further. Congrats on finding a pre war 220 Swift.

BSA MAGA
J
jndd Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Thanks BSA I will check tomorrow and let you know.

J
jndd Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I measured the spacing holes and the front is .852 and the rear is .572, I measured center to center the best I could. the action opening from the top measures approx. 3 1/8 inches also measuring from front edge of front screw hole to the front of the back screw hole is about 5 1/8 inches. there is also a stripper clip slot cut on the action that looks like a factory job. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Joe

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yes, the rifles made in that year had stripper clip cut outs. So, I was going to say that the rear holes should be closer together than the front set, your rifle was not d/t at the factory, so someone could have used any hole spacing. The front holes are known to be .860" center to center, as the link I posted specifies. Over the summer I sold all of my one piece mounts, so I do not have any to measure. Now is the time that varmintguy can measure some he has and maybe one of the one piece mounts will work. As it sounds like you may be SOL for using a 2 piece mount. Unless you can take it to a gunsmith and round up some weaver style mounts that may possibly work. That gets tricky because height of the bases and also hole spacing is critical. That's where a 1 piece base like the ones varmintguy has is sometimes the easier option. Hopefully one he has will work, but he's going to have to measure hole spacing to be sure.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I measured the spacing holes and the front is .852 and the rear is .572, I measured center to center the best I could. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Joe

'Morning, Joe. Could you double check the center to center on the rear base holes again, just to verify the dimension? Also, a picture of the rear bridge and the hole position on the rear of the receiver will be helpful for a solution.

Having done several of these, there are good and not so good possibilities available for you to use two piece bases.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
J
jndd Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
I measured the spacing holes and the front is .852 and the rear is .572, I measured center to center the best I could. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Joe

'Morning, Joe. Could you double check the center to center on the rear base holes again, just to verify the dimension? Also, a picture of the rear bridge and the hole position on the rear of the receiver will be helpful for a solution.

Having done several of these, there are good and not so good possibilities available for you to use two piece bases.

Good shootin' -Al
Hello Al the rear holes measurer .598 with a different caliper the front measurer .867. please note that I would be satisfied with a one piece base I don't have to have 2 piece bases, actually the one piece base would be ok as I have Leupold rings that would fit the redfield jr bases. The rear hole (front one toward the muzzle looks like it was factory tapped) the other hole looks like someone drilled it. Also the rear bases look like they are fitted for the front hole. Thanks Joe

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
EGW sells a one piece picatinny rail that will fit Pre 64 Model 70's. Certainly easier to get good eye relief using that type of rail. https://www.egwguns.com/scope-mounts-rings/standard-rifle-scope-mounts/?brand=778
Pretty sure that Warne sells a two piece picatinny bases that will work too.
Murphy Precision makes a high quality base as well. https://www.murphyprecision.com/scope-bases/winchester/

Last edited by Marley7x57; 11/19/22.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

74 members (160user, 41rem, Akhutr, 10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 12 invisible), 1,042 guests, and 736 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,220
Posts18,447,490
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.