Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm thinking, if all goes well with my back surgery, I'll be ready to do some big game hunting next season, and thought I'd put in for archery elk.
Besides replaceable bladed heads like Thunderheads, I'm looking at these 3 types.
60 pounds should put any one of these, deep inside an elks chest.
Now, to choose which type ?
All are 100 grain.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by splattermatic; 11/18/22.
BP-B2

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Check out "Slick Trick" broadheads. Scary sharp and tough.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Which one ?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I used Thrunderheads for many years, I believe 125 gr.

Like Lonebull2, I use Slick Tricks now as well wicked sharp, extremely accurate with deep penetration. The GrizzTrick2 or The ViperTrick are great choices!

Check This Video out:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by KillerBee; 11/18/22.

KB

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
What makes them different from any other replacement blade broadhead ?
Muzzy's are good, Thunderheads have killed lots of critter for me.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Due to a shoulder issue I was using a 50# bow this fall w/ 355gr total arrows. Shot the same 100gr 3 blade Wack'ems that I have used for the last 2 years bull elk. Shot a cow broadside at 35 yards, arrow was a pass through and landed about 15 yards beyond. I have no reason to change.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Still hard to beat the old 3 blade Muzzy’s in my opinion. No telling how many hogs I’ve killed using one broad head over and over again. Even when they’re a little dull, they still work just fine. I’ve had lots of complete pass thru’s at 60 lbs with my old Matthews compound.
Once had 3 young hogs lined up perfectly under my bow feeder. Arrow zipped right through the 1st 2 pigs, and stopped in the 3rd pig. The broadhead and arrow was protruding through the offside of the 3rd pig by about 6 inches. Killed all 3 of them.
Most wouldn’t believe me if I hadn’t had a witness with me that day. My nephew was setting right beside me with a video cam. Unfortunately, the little dummy forgot to hit record. 🤪

Last edited by chlinstructor; 11/18/22.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Trochar tip.

All steel.

Or the solid three blade you have pictured on top.

Heavier arrows if possible.

U lose flatness of flight but penetration improves.

A good rangefinder , and using it , will alleviate most of the loss of flatter trajectory.

I don’t care 4 mechanical/ expandable heads.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Still hard to beat the old 3 blade Muzzy’s in my opinion. No telling how many hogs I’ve killed using one broad head over and over again. Even when they’re a little dull, they still work just fine. I’ve had lots of complete pass thru’s at 60 lbs with my old Matthews compound.
Once had 3 young hogs lined up perfectly under my bow feeder. Arrow zipped right through the 1st 2 pigs, and stopped in the 3rd pig. The broadhead and arrow was protruding through the offside of the 3rd pig by about 6 inches. Killed all 3 of them.
Most wouldn’t believe me if I hadn’t had a witness with me that day. My nephew was setting right beside me with a video cam. Unfortunately, the little dummy forgot to hit record. 🤪

I used the Muzzy 4 blade 90gr version for years on deer, elk and antelope here in Idaho. They worked just fine. My only complaint was getting them to spin straight. Sometimes it would take one broadhead on 3 or 4 different arrows before they would line up right. With the Wack'ems they seem to spin straight on my arrows on the first time. Both killed stuff just fine.

Last edited by centershot; 11/18/22.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have never had an issue with 100 grain Thunderheads, though I have only killed 3 elk and a moose with them. Not big mature bulls at that.

I am however a KISS person and went to fixed blade heads as any moving parts other than the head itself just doesn’t give the warm/fuzzy and doubly so on elk sized critters with heavy bones. Mechanicals supposedly have come a long ways but I still don’t have any confidence in them. Of those you show, I’d choose the first one assuming it shot well.

I went to NAP HellRazors but haven’t shot a darn thing with them yet. Iron Will, while not totally fixed and tooth if the arrow may make an appearance on my arrows here soon.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I just bought 6 of the first ones...

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Splatter - If you have the time, check out the Ranch Fairy on YouTube. He's done a ton of research on arrow and broadhead effectiveness. He can sometimes rub people the wrong way (I find him hysterical personally) but it's worth your time to watch some of his stuff on shooting "adult" arrows IMHO.

The chances they come, and the chances they go.
But the time. You don't get that back.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Looking at the fixed blades I just bought brought back memories of a broadhead called a bodkin or something like that from my young days starting out.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by splattermatic
I just bought 6 of the first ones...

Good move. They are the most accurate broad heads I’ve shot. Same POI as my field points. Killed a Black Bear this year with one. Completely broke the frond leg and shoulder and exited the carcass behind the other. Blade was not salvageable though as the tough bone bent one badly

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I’ve used all that have been mentioned with good success. I’d call it a toss up between the Slick Tricks or Rage. My last hunt, I had both in the quiver (the Rage was for long shots in the wind as they drift less). If you have adequate arrow weight and a modern bow, either will provide more than enough penetration (assuming your using standard Rage). Just my .02.

Last edited by elkaddict; 11/19/22.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Of the three you pictured, I’d take the Magnus Stinger for any big game in North America.

NRA Patron
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
They remind me of the Bear Razorbacks if I remember what they were called. Killed a doe with one many moons ago.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
FWIW I run 125gr heads, at the lightest.
Bit more FOC and that helps w tune IMHO.

Ive killed deer w the Montec and Stinger.
Bud needed some trad heads so gave him my Stingers, haven't seen any in shops since (figures).
Think the bleeder blade versions put more barn paint on the ground.

Am just a deer hunter though.

Last edited by hookeye; 11/20/22.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Match your BH to your setup.

A low energy setup benefits from an efficient BH.

I use that Stinger design- middle pic. …very effective, easy to BH tune then touch up, easy to reuse, lower effective cost per shot, but the #1 reason; animals dont react to being hit if you do your part…and most die in sight.

Those 2 blade heads slide in effortlessly Unlike some of the mechanicals or the short wide heads that get those animals moving like their tail is on fire- longer tracking jobs.

I Family had one animal in the last two years run out of sight while I was shooting the two blade heads….. And that was one of those jumpy Coues deer bucks. That arrow hit him quartering away and Broke the offside shoulder with the Broadhead sticking 6 inches out in front. He didnt go far.

"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."

Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter
H
H
Of the 3 you posted, I would choose #2 which looks like a Magnus Stinger. I have seen 3 elk fall to those heads and they do a lot of damage. I personally use the QAD Exodus for a few reasons. Shot a very small bull with a trypan a few years ago. Awful results and never again will I use mechanical heads on an elk.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
731 members (02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 88 invisible), 2,729 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,928
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.