Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
A bit confused about this case size between 9.3x62 and basic 30-06 case diameters. I've read about differences and variances and then about using 30-06 brass to form.

Are there significant differences? Is it best just to find original factory brass. There's an ton of noise about 9.3 being hot schnitzel but I've already got various 338's, 375 ruger, 375h&h. Worth it?

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
It’s worth it if that’s what you want. I went with the .35 Whelen because of my sentimentality for that chambering but I wouldn’t have made a mistake if I chose the 9.3. I too have assorted .338’s, etc but I WANTED a Whelen so that’s what I did.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
06 case is smaller at the base than factory 9.3x62 brass some have experienced case head issues . Not worth the risk with good 9.3 x 62 brass available.
https://www.go2gbo.com/threads/forming-9-3x62mm-from-30-06-is-it-safe.184322/

Last edited by kk alaska; 05/25/22.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yeah, it's a concern!! Here's two failed 9.3x62 cases I had from one magazine-full while practicing rapid fire one day with my Model 70 Classic Stainless. I didn't notice the first failure. The second, more extreme one blew junk back into my face and popped the floorplate open. I sent Hornady pics and they tested samples from the same lot as my brass and concluded there was nothing wrong with the production run. Both cases were on their third firing when this happened. The bullet was a 286gr Partition loaded to modern pressures with 64gr of Big Game. Rob at Western Powders told me that not only were my loads safe, but that he'd never seen a case fail through the head the way these two did. I checked the chamber with my bore scope, thankfully no damage, and the bolt face was fine as well.

After a bunch of phone calls and research I discovered there were two problems. First of all, Hornady saves a buck by making 9.3x62 brass from '06 blanks. As kk alaska points out, '06 brass is undersized at the base compared to the 9.3, by how much I can't remember as my notes aren't handy at the moment. Secondly, the RCBS dies I was using at the time size 9.3 brass down to the dimensions of the '06 case. Come to find out this is because RCBS used to make forming dies to create 9.3x62 brass from .30-06 cases. Fifty or sixty years ago this worked great because it allowed a guy to make cases for the old Mauser Uncle Bill brought home from the war. Today however, it's a liability because the growing popularity of the old 9.3 (as discovered by that wonderful Barsness fellow) is predicated on loading the round up to modern pressures.

So I've concluded that if you're content with using the 9.3x62 at its old school pressures, Hornady brass or RCBS dies are probably okay. However, if you are looking for the performance we've all come to expect avoid Hornady brass and RCBS sizing dies. The Hornady brass is no good from the outset, and the RCBS dies will ruin brass is that is properly spec'd to begin with. You need to use dies which are sized to the CIP spec. I know that Lee and Redding dies are. Supposedly the Lymans are as well, but I don't know for sure. Proper brass is anything but Hornady.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
A bit confused about this case size between 9.3x62 and basic 30-06 case diameters. I've read about differences and variances and then about using 30-06 brass to form.

Are there significant differences? Is it best just to find original factory brass. There's an ton of noise about 9.3 being hot schnitzel but I've already got various 338's, 375 ruger, 375h&h. Worth it?

The 9.3x62 is a superb performer. The difference in head diameter between it and the 30-06 is just a few thousandths of an inch but that's more significant in a rifle chamber than it seems on paper.

I owned a 9.3x62 before you could get proper brass as easily as you can today. I followed conventional wisdom at the time and fire-formed military 30-06 cases. My loads topped out around 2,350 fps with a 286-grain Partition, so I got away with it. For reference, "modern" loads get about that speed with a 320-grain bullet, or push a 286 close to 150 fps faster.

I loved the cartridge but sold the rifle. If I had another one, then I'd buy the right brass for it but I'm not sure that I'd load to "modern" pressures. My loads were right out of the 1920s and their effect on game was devastating.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
PA thanks for posting that I use RCBS dies and Lapua 9.3 X 62 brass with no issues and great accuracy with modern loads.
Brass. dies and chamber must all match to have a rifle perform as it should.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

No, it is not worth it if you already have the above mentioned cartridges. Even the venerable 30-06 loaded with 200gr Nosler partitions will work every bit as well as a 9.3x62m. However, if you want to try one out by all means do it. After a while you'll understand what I am talking about. Don't be a cheap fu ck and use Hornady brass or 30-06 brass. Look for some good Norma or Lapua brass and I call BS on using RCBS dies. Some guys don't know what they are talking about. I used RCBS dies with no issues at all and I know others that have done the same thing, but also used Norma cases and got multiple loadings on those cases. At one time I was shooting my 9.3 a lot because it was so accurate and fun to shoot. If you guys think you are going to get better more accurate loads than what these RCBS dies produced, you are living in a fantasy world:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
BSA, I never said anything about accuracy issues. It's a matter of brass sizing and safety. I'm glad things worked out for you, but they certainly didn't for me and I found out the reason why. In this instance I know exactly what I'm talking about.

KK, I'd be leery of continuing to use the RCBS dies for too many firings. I think the Lapua brass is wonderful stuff but the undersizing of the case by the RCBS dies is no good.

In regards to the '06 and 200s vs the 9.3, for big game (deer) hunting most guys do they'll never see a difference. However, I've personally used and seen others use the '06 and the 9.3 (as well as similar rounds) on enough big animals to know there's a definite improvement with the 9.3 over the .30 cal. This is just what I've noticed after watching various brown bears, mountain goats, deer, and muskox shot with both. The 9.3 is so close to a .375 that to say the '06 with 200s is just as effective as the 9.3 is to say the same thing about the '06 vs .375 which no one with any actual experience or reading ability could say with a straight face.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks for the input. I probably wouldn't use anything larger than a 30 cal for deer, at least on purpose as I don't go after deer much. For me it's mostly elk in my backyard, or an occasional moose adventure, plenty of bears, and then larger things.

The case size disparity makes a good case for going 35 whelan or 375-06 375 whelan if one wants to work 30-06 cases unless one goes Lapua brass. Good to know and gives be food for thought

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
As for Hornady brass being no good, that's all I've used in my Tikka in 9.3 x 62 for the past decade, and I "load 'em up"! I'm talking .338 WM pressures, and that's been verified by QL. I do that because the exact same rifle as mine has been made by Tikka in .338 Win Mag, with a slightly longer barrel. So, the brass has to be the "weak link". If Hornady's 9.3 x 62 cases are "weak", then the batch I have must have come from another origin through Hornady, as I've been told by the manager of a large Canadian shop that all imports must have a declaration of origin (not just who had them made or shipped) - but the country of origin - where they were made. That declaration said S&B made them. Mine have worked as well as any brass I've ever used in any rifle, except for Rem .375 brass fireformed to .340 Wea. They lasted "forever" at max psi. However, it is possible that since I purchased mine, about eleven years ago, (still using them) that Hornady makes their own of has some other company make them. I also found out from that same manager that the 286 bullet Remington loads for the 9.3 x 62 for foreign markets is the Hornady 286 RP-SP. So, it's not strange to read on a box of bullets or cases "Made in America" when it has been outsourced - much like parts for the auto industry or your expensive optics.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If my facts are right, the 9.3x62 is a .470 diameter rim while the 06 is 473. The x62 is 1mm shorter than the 06 but holds 10% more powder. I only use PRVI brass and have gotten 6 reloads before I get rid of it. My load is a 286 NP over 58.5 gr RL 15. Never chrono'd it but with a 24" barrel assume something between 24-2500 fps. It's a 375 lite. Most game is shot under 200 yards. This round is a true game hammer.

The way life should be.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Haven't shot any game yet with my 9.3 x 62 cz 550. I have measured my various brands of brass for rim and head dimensions. Ppu & SB rim dia .468" and head at .474". Nosler says theirs at rim .470" and head at .475". Hornady says theirs is .468" rim and .467" head. Don't have any RWS or Lapua to measure. Doesn't take a genius to see why there are problems. At the least hornady head dimensions seem way under every one else's. My 2 cts wort...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I just measured some 9.3x62 brass just ahead of the rim.
The Speer #11 manual says .4764 is the nominal diameter.
Geco measured 4.725 to .4730
RWS measured .4705 to .4710
Seems those wily Europeans are not overly concerned about base diameter.

Cheers,
Walt

One unerring mark of the love of the truth is not entertaining any proposition with greater assurance than the proofs it is built upon will warrant. John Locke, 1690
bcp Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
9.3x62 CIP specs:

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Bruce

Last edited by bcp; 05/27/22.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I did some .30-06 COW forming to 9,3m.

It worked, but I would not do it again... just not worth the trouble IMHO. Safety stuff in the back of your mind always...

Also broke the extractor on my CZ-550.

9,3m is a brilliant round.

PPU factory ammo is cheap... brass is great for reuse.

If I was hunting anything special I would probably upgrade beyond PPU.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If Hornady brass is undersized (I found this true with 6.5-284 Hornady brass), are their dies undersized also. I have a set of Hornady 9.3x62 dies and a 9.3 rifle on the way (getting a mannlicher stock on it). Just trying to figure out if I am heading for trouble.

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
You need to ask the die maker if their reamers are CIP spec.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by pabucktail
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yeah, it's a concern!! Here's two failed 9.3x62 cases I had from one magazine-full while practicing rapid fire one day with my Model 70 Classic Stainless. I didn't notice the first failure. The second, more extreme one blew junk back into my face and popped the floorplate open. I sent Hornady pics and they tested samples from the same lot as my brass and concluded there was nothing wrong with the production run. Both cases were on their third firing when this happened. The bullet was a 286gr Partition loaded to modern pressures with 64gr of Big Game. Rob at Western Powders told me that not only were my loads safe, but that he'd never seen a case fail through the head the way these two did. I checked the chamber with my bore scope, thankfully no damage, and the bolt face was fine as well.

After a bunch of phone calls and research I discovered there were two problems. First of all, Hornady saves a buck by making 9.3x62 brass from '06 blanks. As kk alaska points out, '06 brass is undersized at the base compared to the 9.3, by how much I can't remember as my notes aren't handy at the moment. Secondly, the RCBS dies I was using at the time size 9.3 brass down to the dimensions of the '06 case. Come to find out this is because RCBS used to make forming dies to create 9.3x62 brass from .30-06 cases. Fifty or sixty years ago this worked great because it allowed a guy to make cases for the old Mauser Uncle Bill brought home from the war. Today however, it's a liability because the growing popularity of the old 9.3 (as discovered by that wonderful Barsness fellow) is predicated on loading the round up to modern pressures.

So I've concluded that if you're content with using the 9.3x62 at its old school pressures, Hornady brass or RCBS dies are probably okay. However, if you are looking for the performance we've all come to expect avoid Hornady brass and RCBS sizing dies. The Hornady brass is no good from the outset, and the RCBS dies will ruin brass is that is properly spec'd to begin with. You need to use dies which are sized to the CIP spec. I know that Lee and Redding dies are. Supposedly the Lymans are as well, but I don't know for sure. Proper brass is anything but Hornady.

Hornady brass once again
Seems like a common denominator

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Cowboybart
If Hornady brass is undersized (I found this true with 6.5-284 Hornady brass), are their dies undersized also. I have a set of Hornady 9.3x62 dies and a 9.3 rifle on the way (getting a mannlicher stock on it). Just trying to figure out if I am heading for trouble.

I have some Hornady 9.3x62 factory loads loaded with the 286 Interlock Spire Point. Haven't had any trouble shooting them in my CZ--so measured the remaining loaded cases. They measure just about the same as .30-06 cases in both the rim and body.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There's an ton of noise about 9.3 being hot schnitzel but I've already got various 338's, 375 ruger, 375h&h. Worth it?

I used to have a 350 Rem Mag. I have a 375 H&H. When I got my 9.3 I immediately saw it was far superior to the 350 and sold it and I haven't shot my 375 since I got the 9.3. Worth it? Yes!

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (16Racing, 163bc, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 55 invisible), 2,499 guests, and 1,361 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,673
Posts18,456,052
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.