Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Trystan
Originally Posted by 30338
I can't see a 7 PRC doing anything the 7mm Remington hasn't been doing for decades. Plenty of mag space in a 700 for the Remmy and 180/195 grain bullets. Plenty of brass, dies, factory ammo. I'll happily slum a 7 Remington if I feel the need.

For now a rather pedestrian 6.5-284 is working for my long range needs. And oh, not a lot the 6.5-284 can't do compared to a 6.5 PRC. But I digress.

I'll happily take the 7PRC strictly for reloading purposes of getting around the belt that they put on then 7 rem mag. Whoever invented that belt that serves zero purpose should be kicked in the nuts IMO
You're an idiot. It's called "headspace." It ensures that your gun will fire, and safely. It certainly had a purpose, and that belt still serves the same purpose.

You should be bitching at the guys who kept repurposing the H&H base case for every new "magnum" they wanted to peddle to the masses.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
KchuntShot,

Belts are nowhere in proximity to "control" headspace,but it's a warm bottle bedside notion,for you Fhuqktards. Hint.

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart for TRYING though.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
I can't see a 7 PRC doing anything the 7mm Remington hasn't been doing for decades. Plenty of mag space in a 700 for the Remmy and 180/195 grain bullets. Plenty of brass, dies, factory ammo. I'll happily slum a 7 Remington if I feel the need.

For now a rather pedestrian 6.5-284 is working for my long range needs. And oh, not a lot the 6.5-284 can't do compared to a 6.5 PRC. But I digress.

I'll happily take the 7PRC strictly for reloading purposes of getting around the belt that they put on then 7 rem mag. Whoever invented that belt that serves zero purpose should be kicked in the nuts IMO
You're an idiot. It's called "headspace." It ensures that your gun will fire, and safely. It certainly had a purpose, and that belt still serves the same purpose.

You should be bitching at the guys who kept repurposing the H&H base case for every new "magnum" they wanted to peddle to the masses.

Can't you headspace off the shoulder after 1 fire form and adjust your FL die accordingly??

Also, doesn't the 7 mag have a history of pressure spikes hence the SAAMI 61K PSI??

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr

Can't you headspace off the shoulder after 1 fire form and adjust your FL die accordingly??

Also, doesn't the 7 mag have a history of pressure spikes hence the SAAMI 61K PSI??
You certainly can headspace off the shoulder now. But the belted case was made during a time when machining tolerances were sloppier, where there was a lot of variation between chambers, and when handloading didn't exist in remotely the same fashion. The belt insured the gun would fire, and safely. Thus my comment about the belt's seeming necessity in the past. But in modern guns shooting sharper-shouldered cartridges, it isn't serving any purpose, except that the belted case was sold as synonymous with "magnum" to a few generations of hunters.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Thinking about a long range specific hunter. Main use would be deer in ag fields but could consider elk in the equation, ~800 yards max hunting range, fair amount of shooting to 1000. 24" barrel, non-suppressed. Would likely be using eldx bullets in either...143 and 175. Don't factor brass/bullet/component availability in right now.... Edited to add: action would be either mid for 6.5 or long for 7 so don't factor it in...mainly just thinking on the two rounds, not the build.

So thinking hard on them with the considerations of wind drift and barrel life being two of the biggest considerations.....what's your pro/con on each of the two?

For that application, I would go for the 7. Can't cheat mechanics.

I'm already invested in the 6.5, both Kreed and Prick, so I'll stay there for economics. Besides, in FL a 300 yds shot is considered "long-range".

Igitur quī dēsīderat pācem, præparet bellum
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

What bullet(s) are you using, 30338? I have a new 6.5mm PRC and am collecting components.

As much as I like the idea of a 7 RM or 7 PRC for hunting, I think the 6.5 will do all that I need with a lot less recoil than any magnum 7.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Recoil!

Whaaa! Whaaa! Whaaa!!

F A G S

😂😂😂

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Recoil!

Whaaa! Whaaa! Whaaa!!

F A G S

😂😂😂

Some of us have tender shoulders.

Why you gotta be so mean? frown

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 4th_point

What bullet(s) are you using, 30338? I have a new 6.5mm PRC and am collecting components.

As much as I like the idea of a 7 RM or 7 PRC for hunting, I think the 6.5 will do all that I need with a lot less recoil than any magnum 7.

I tend to use 140 VLD and 156 EOL. The 6.5-284 can push both to reasonable speeds for my long distance hunting needs.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Recoil!

Whaaa! Whaaa! Whaaa!!

F A G S

😂😂😂
My neck has large patches of skin from my thigh and enough nerve damage from surgeries that recoil makes a difference. Besides that ,all else being equal, everyone shoots a 243 better that a .338

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr

I believe that pressure spikes in cases like the 7mm mag came from the time when IMR4350 and powders like H205 were popular in them. With powders like H1000 and Imr 7977 a 7 mm rem acts like most other cartridges......

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by beretzs

Just a random question, but how does the belt hurt anything? I agree, it isn't needed, but if you load the case the same way you'd load a 7 PRC how would it ever hurt/hinder anything?

Beretz, the main benefit of the PRC and Creedmoor rounds is chamber and die specs. There is a noticeable advantage to minimal working of brass that shows up biggly in the long run. Why put a useless belt on a cartridge and than design it to maximum size your brass everytime?

Last edited by Trystan; 11/21/22.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thinking about a long range specific hunter. Main use would be deer in ag fields but could consider elk in the equation, ~800 yards max hunting range, fair amount of shooting to 1000. 24" barrel, non-suppressed. Would likely be using eldx bullets in either...143 and 175. Don't factor brass/bullet/component availability in right now.... Edited to add: action would be either mid for 6.5 or long for 7 so don't factor it in...mainly just thinking on the two rounds, not the build.

So thinking hard on them with the considerations of wind drift and barrel life being two of the biggest considerations.....what's your pro/con on each of the two?

For wind drift advantages and just a little more bullet on target I would go with the 7mm myself, others may prefer something different

180 Berger's at 2900 fps
Longest shot was right at 1/4 mile on the springbok.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

330-350 (I think)...I would have to go back and check

Under 200

325 yards

200-300 yards...Just don't remember smile

490 yards (Back about 11 years ago)

666 yards: 200 grain VLD at the upper 2800 fps

I have not used the 180 grain ELD-M on game, but I have used the 175 grain ELD-X, but nothing at long range. All under 400 yards.
[img]https://i.imgur.com/54yu89al.jpg[/img]

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This little muley too with the 175 ELD-X

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by xphunter
I have not used the 180 grain ELD-M on game, but I have used the 175 grain ELD-X, but nothing at long range. All under 400 yards.

Very nice. What velocity are you starting the 175 eldx at? Thanks

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by xphunter

Very nice. What velocity are you starting the 175 eldx at? Thanks

2900 fps.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Mr Camuglia,
Do you use muzzle brakes or suppressors on your rifles?

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by RinB
Mr Camuglia,

Lol

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RinB
Mr Camuglia,

Absolutely.

You need to see your impacts to be a good shooter.

👍🏼

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
It did but I think that was some of the most coherent writing I’ve ever seen from Stick.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
324 members (160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 34 invisible), 1,993 guests, and 922 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,953
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.