Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
It's comical that people shy away from Linux because they don't want to install and learn a new operating system. So they install and learn a new Windows operating system.

If you have to use Windows or if you genuinely like Windows, go ahead. But if you are sick of being manipulated, bled dry by software subscriptions, and plagued by malware, there is an alternative.

You do not have to build your own Linux system. You download the OS of your choice, make it into a bootable USB stick, and then install it. Total: about an hour.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I installed a $50 SSD and had XXXXX Linux distro running on one of my friends laptop in less than an hour.

All he needs is browser.

Screw Micro$$$oft.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Window 11 checked my computer and the CPU, memory, and video card were not upgradeable to Windows 11. Some day maybe I will buy a new computer.

My employer uses Dell Latitude laptop platform for everything. Been using Latitudes for 20 years with zero issues, replaced every 2-3 years by Company. I buy used Latitudes for personal use coming off lease every 2-4 years and sell mine (HD wiped & re-staged, of course) on Craigslist. I buy refurb desktops for my wife from NewEgg and, again, never a problem. Helluva lot cheaper than new. All future laptops & desktops will be SSD only, although I keep external HDD's for backup.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
It's comical that people shy away from Linux because they don't want to install and learn a new operating system. So they install and learn a new Windows operating system.

If you have to use Windows or if you genuinely like Windows, go ahead. But if you are sick of being manipulated, bled dry by software subscriptions, and plagued by malware, there is an alternative.

You do not have to build your own Linux system. You download the OS of your choice, make it into a bootable USB stick, and then install it. Total: about an hour.

^^^^
The most troublesome part of the process is figuring out how to change boot order on some machines.

A few extra minutes with your favorite search engine for the hard ones and you're good to go.

So far the Toshiba machines have been the worst. They make it hard to access boot order and change the process from one model to another.

I understand being forced to use Micro$$oft. I had to deal with it at work for decades. I'm retired now and don't need them for 99% of my uses. I still have to keep up with Window$ BS as my wife still has to use it for work.

A good portion of the world runs on Linux, you just don't see it. Lots of devices use some form of embedded Linux as OS. I don't know the % but a lot web servers run Linux.

Good on Mr. Rocky for helping others save some bucks. More for the rifle loony projects!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
98% of all servers run Linux
If you have a WiFi router it’s run on Linux
Every super computer in the world runs Linux
NASA, FAA traffic control, and even the Electron Collider uses Linux
Why, it’s a FREE version of UNIX which was the first portable OS developed for communications by AT&T.

Swifty
IC B2

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
464 members (1Longbow, 160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 47 invisible), 2,037 guests, and 975 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,143
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.