Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Puma Mod. 92 Lever in 45 colt. I have been working up a hotter load for hunting with the goal of around 1500 FPS with a 225 gr HDY FTX.

The rifle was super solid secure in a lead sled, and produced downward stringing and veering to the left groups consistently. First three shots were typically acceptable groups then it went downhill from there. Powder was 26+ grains of H110.

Switching loads using Unique or 231, it tightened the groups right back without letting the barrel cool down but at about 350-500 fps slower.

Could it be the powder itself is the variable to making the rifle group like this?

I would like to use this load if the groups did not string.

Attached Images
20221120_091329.jpg (28.25 KB, 273 downloads)
Last edited by FSJeeper; 11/20/22.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Junk the lead sled and try again.

Swifty
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I did shoot a group without the sled, same thing.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
I am damn sure no levergun guru...but in accuracy testing cast bullet loads, one thing I have found may help. Use sand bags, the front bag positioned clear back on the front of the receiver frame...let the forearm wood just hang out there in space with no influence. This is not fun on hard kickers...but once you develop a uniform repeatable consistent technique, you will be finally testing the load instead of bench technique or vibration dampening. Try it. Almost any rifle with a two piece stock may benefit. Then, if you find the forearm is influencing your groups unduly..you can address that by itself with the usual tweaking, floating, bedding, shimming tricks.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Flint, thanks, but this only happens with this one load. Groups fine with softer loads.

IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by FSJeeper
Flint, thanks, but this only happens with this one load. Groups fine with softer loads.
Could just be the barrel harmonics with that load. Guns are like women. No accounting for what they like. If a woman doesn't like it, she doesn't like it and there's no point trying to reason with her. Just feed her what she does like.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 11/20/22.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
[quote=FSJeeper]
Could just be the barrel harmonics with that load. Guns are like women. No accounting for what they like. I a woman doesn't like it, she doesn't like it and there's no point trying to reason with her. Just feed her what she does like.

I can't imagine a more well thought out and reasonable explanation! This is priceless.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
All the top-end loads I shoot in Marlin 44 Mag will string during longer strings of shots. I also notice that the first 3 or 4 will often group around MOA with a load it likes. So I don't worry about it. That's plenty of accuracy. I also don't load more than 5 in the magazine if I want MOA-type accuracy when hunting, as it will shoot low with 10 in the mag.

In a Marlin 1895 45-70, vertical stringing was a huge problem until I put a small rubber gasket on the magazine hanger near the muzzle. I suspected the hanger was binding and putting downward pressure on the barrel as it got warmer from each shot.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
I have read that using a "lead sled" is a good way to cause the butt stock to split on lever action rifles. I have no personal experience, only what I read...

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I assume this is a hunting rifle. If so, you shouldn’t need more than three shots in a string. Honestly, you shouldn’t need more than one.

If it shoots the first couple where you want it to, load it up and go hunt.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As a famous gun writer and "Rifle Loony" once said. "I test hunting loads in 3 shot groups, and varmint loads in 5 shot groups".

Ed
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
308ld, exactly right!

This sight won't let me post another picture, but I spent yesterday afternoon doing another round of groups, this time 3 round groups. With the hot load using 110, first two touch and the 3rd drops about 1 inch, so about a little over a 1" group at 50 yards and completely acceptable for hunting. The softer loads using Unique and 231, groups tightened up to just under 1" at 50 yards.

So the hotter load, being the powder or some other variable, causes the 3rd round to drop and start stringing.

The next round will be at 100 yards but where I use this rifle that would be an uncommon occurrence having a shot that far.

I think I have found my go to loads for this little brush gun.

The 450 Bushmaster in a Savage 99 is what I use for shots out to 250 yards.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Pretty simple, you are heating up the chamber, each shot with a hot chamber, looser tolerances, lost velocity...

with a right hand twist, you loose velocity, your shots will drop down and too the left...
faster velocity with each load they would be Up and to the right....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 308ld
As a famous gun writer and "Rifle Loony" once said. "I test hunting loads in 3 shot groups, and varmint loads in 5 shot groups".

How does that "famous" writer feel about lead sleds, or testing loads at 50 yards?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Seafire
Pretty simple, you are heating up the chamber, each shot with a hot chamber, looser tolerances, lost velocity...

with a right hand twist, you loose velocity, your shots will drop down and too the left...
faster velocity with each load they would be Up and to the right...

Hey Seafire, don’t know if it’s that simple but will state that I have a 25.06 that with a clean tube the first shot goes 1” low, 1” left on the first shot. Subsequent shots go back to point of aim and stay there unless I clean it. Just that first clean bore shot which has never bothered me as I don’t hunt with a clean bore.

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

How does that "famous" writer feel about lead sleds, or testing loads at 50 yards?

😳 ouch

Swifty
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F

I'm not sure I buy that. I shot NRA High Power and High Power Sporting rifle for 40+ seasons. M-1, M-1A, and bolt gun, filled 3 Riflemans Scorebooks at least, with weather and sight dope. If any given rifle walked poi in the rapid fire stages, the bedding was corrected until it didn't. In matches of 80 rounds plus sighters...velocity increased as round count increased, presumably because of fouling.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by flintlocke

I'm not sure I buy that. I shot NRA High Power and High Power Sporting rifle for 40+ seasons. M-1, M-1A, and bolt gun, filled 3 Riflemans Scorebooks at least, with weather and sight dope. If any given rifle walked poi in the rapid fire stages, the bedding was corrected until it didn't. In matches of 80 rounds plus sighters...velocity increased as round count increased, presumably because of fouling.
There seems to be a fundamental misunderstanding of the question the OP had. There is no bedding in a lever gun. The barrel is the opposite of free-floating. The tubular magazine creates downward pressure on the barrel. Perhaps, as the barrel heats up, and the metal expands, the unheated tubular magazine will pull more on the barrel. Sometimes, it's drastic. Lower-power loads show this less, because the barrel gets heated less, but if you fire enough of them, they also string. I've seen this several times. In both pistol-cartridge lever guns, and rifle-cartridge guns.

Last edited by HuntnShoot; 11/21/22. Reason: Typo

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I can’t say. Just quoting his test procedure for hunting and varmint loads.

What is your opinion of lead sleds, and load testing at 50 yards?

Ed
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Load testing at 50 yards is great. You get really tiny groups on anything you try. 😳
Just ask Cooper. 😀

Swifty
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (10Glocks, 257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 68 invisible), 2,637 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,672
Posts18,456,039
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.