Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by dassa
Hey, kids, let's go traipse around in this field all day toting shotguns. And all that money you raised at your summer job, go buy a box of shotgun shells. Now, I'm gonna tell you right up front, that you're not gonna see any birds, cause there ain't no birds around here. But you're gonna work your ass off for nothing, cause that's a reward in and of itself.

Or,

Hey, the state released a couple thousand pheasants down at the wildlife area. What say we go see if we can flush a bird or two?

Which is more likely to get a kid to want to go hunting? Do you think the kid cares that the birds are inferior?

In this post you sure did make it sound like it was pheasants or nothing dipshyt. You should have just admitted you're a lazy dumb fugg and if it weren't for pen raised birds you wouldn't be able to find anything at all for you or your kids to shoot.
If you're not the stupidest person on here, you're in the top two.

It sounds like I'm talking about pheasants, because this thread is about stocking pheasants.

Two posts before your inanity, I explained I don't have to hunt pen raised birds. The fact you can't comprehend that makes me wonder how you survived long enough to afford a double wide.

And if you can muster up some vocabulary, explain to me how your inability to understand English equates to me being a lazy dumb fugg.

BP-B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Whiptail
I didn't think many states released pen raised birds for hunting anymore so I was surprised that Wyoming does.

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/News/Bird-farms-provide-hunters-with-ample-opportunitie

I remember Illinois did some put/take hunts outside of Chicago but I'm not aware of too many states that do this anymore. Do any other states do this? If so, what's your opinion of it?

Texas releases rainbow trout in a bunch of local water ways starting next month but that's about the only put/take stuff I'm aware of around here. A lot of local public lands don't have many upland birds anymore and could probably get a lot of interest and participation if they did some release hunts. There are a few private clubs around here but they are fairly pricey.
Hey, I apologize for getting your post sidetracked by engaging in a pissing contest against a short barrel.

To answer your question, the state I grew up in had good pheasants hunting when I lived there. But since then a lot of agricultural land got converted into half-million dollar homes. The dow couldn't compete with the developers to acquire that habitat, so they now stock pheasants on wildlife areas that can support them to provide hunting opportunities for lazy dumb fuggs.

The state I live in now doesn't stock pheasants, so lazy dumb fuggs have to hunt wild birds. Or pay to hunt at game preserves.

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
No worries guys. I asked for opinions and we definitely got them. I appreciate all the feedback and was surprised how many states release birds. Put/take hunting is another form of hunting that can get people overheated. I'm all for habitat acquisition and improvement but for a lot of folks that live in populated areas and don't have access to productive hunting areas it may make sense to do stocking on the limited lands available...or maybe not.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
No worries guys. I asked for opinions and we definitely got them. I appreciate all the feedback and was surprised how many states release birds. Put/take hunting is another form of hunting that can get people overheated. I'm all for habitat acquisition and improvement but for a lot of folks that live in populated areas and don't have access to productive hunting areas it may make sense to do stocking on the limited lands available...or maybe not.
Yeah, I just get bothered when people take the attitude that if you don't do it just like them (even though your situation is completely different), you're some kind of weak, slack jawed, lazy, ne'er do well.

Anyway, I've been lucky to have pretty good access to wild populations my whole life. But I appreciate that the game depts try to give people opportunities where that isn't the case.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Yeah, I just get bothered when people take the attitude that if you don't do it just like them (even though your situation is completely different), you're some kind of weak, slack jawed, lazy, ne'er do well.

Anyway, I've been lucky to have pretty good access to wild populations my whole life. But I appreciate that the game depts try to give people opportunities where that isn't the case.

100% agree with you here.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Wideopen
Originally Posted by BKinSD
Originally Posted by Wideopen
Originally Posted by BKinSD
I tend to enjoy a bit of rough shooting myself. It can get old shooting my limit of wild pheasants in 30 minutes.

...I hope that you find someone who can live up to your high standards to enjoy your day with. Lots of bird season left, can't wait to get back out there. Good luck!
Every time I read about your pheasant hunts, I'm left wondering why you even bother doing it. You talk about how little effort you'd like to expend, how it's boring to get quick limits, and that you can't imagine spending hours chasing them. You rarely sound like you enjoy the task. Your videos of gunning birds as you stand next to a round bale look pretty boring to me. It reminds me of my years growing up on the farm, and shooting pigeons as they fly back to the barn. Have you ever followed a bird dog that you trained through cover? If not, you're missing out, because it's wonderful watching them put the puzzle together. And if you have trained one, you're the first person I've ever encountered that speaks of upland hunting the way you do.

As a retired Wildlife Biologist, I'd say GrouseChaser made some excellent points. I'd join him for a hunt any day. And if it's a full day afield, all the better.

Oh, you can just go and pound sand. The 'holier than thou' attitude doesn't sit well with me. My dogs are trained, by me, and have been led, and followed, through plenty of cover, over hill and dale in search of grouse, partridge, and indeed, hundreds and hundreds of pheasants. Some for kids, some for adults, and plenty of them were a ton of fun. If you want to spend a whole day at it, be my guest.
I'm just responding to your typically arrogant posts. They're your words, not mine. You can't imagine hunting all day. You find it boring to get your limit in 30 minutes. You talk about wanting to expend little effort for pheasants. I can't imagine a kid or anyone else benefiting from the form of mentorship you describe here. If you don't want to be mocked, try changing how you describe your hunts. Otherwise, I'll feel free to repeat your words. And, holier than thou? Aren't you the one that said you hoped GrouseChaser finds someone that can live up to his high standards? Keep typing and I'll keep trashing your short attention span.

LOL, back to this again? You don't like how others hunt and can't stand it. Pretty typical from the "wildlife biologist" mindset. And you call me arrogant? LMAO.

I bet it just kills you the number of kids who benefit from my guidance and mentorship. Just for you, I'll double down on those efforts for the rest of the season. I think I'll introduce them to the ol' BK-five shell personally imposed limits game and see what they think of it. I'll even let you know and post pictures for you.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
This may come as a surprise, however those who live around great Pheasant country, know the game, the daily routine of Pheasants and how they react to the weather and can shoot, will be into their limit opportunities very quickly. Their Dogs will also catch on quickly because they put them into many Birds….most every time they go out. And heavy Bird encounters train the Dog better than backyard drills.

Different subject then released Birds….which do have a place for the young or old. However, the reality of those who live around many Wild Birds and have the brains to become super efficient at killing them.

Just back from SD….I tramped around half a day to kill two most times….in 10-15F with 20-30MPH wind….while a guy who knows the game, most times had his 3 in an hour.

Tell me which one is the real deal?

laissez les bons temps rouler
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Ok, fess up. If shell #5 sees feathers fly, you hammer him with shell #6, right? Having hunted your great state a few times, I'm green with envy of you locals. Best wishes.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Dang I bet you were cold Harry. It was a miserable week here.

Funny WMR, I usually only do that when I'm hunting solo, which isn't real often. Hunting is a social activity above all else. Often but not always, when its just me and the dogs, I put five shells in one of my old school A-5's and leave the truck. If a bird goes down and I'm out of shells, we just follow him up. Dogs will get him generally. If a guy doesn't make it interesting, well, getting a limit is usually just a matter of time.

PS I just invited four boys from my daughter's "squad" to go pheasant hunting next Sunday...real mentorship for those who would question it. Ill post pics. Great kids. All of them with ACT's in the 30's, one just got appt to the USMA, the others off to become engineers next fall.

D
D
I’m in Illinois near Chicago and stuck here for a while yet. But if it weren’t for controlled hunting here I would have no opportunity anywhere near here short of traveling many hours. I know it’s not the same but it’s all we got. I hope to one day make it out west to hunt with the big boys though.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I've hunted NJ and NY stocked birds for 5-6 years now. This year we spent most of October and November chasing grouse though. I don't mind the stocked birds but they definitely make for some bad habits in the dog. I find it funny most folks in the NJ pages get all pissy that the state doesn't put enough birds out. If they're not back in the truck by 7:30AM with their two birds the "hunting" is TOO hard. I'd love to get out west someday but I feel I need a little more dog power to make a trip worth it.

-Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun-
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nice pics!!!!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by GrouseAtHarte
I've hunted NJ and NY stocked birds for 5-6 years now. This year we spent most of October and November chasing grouse though. I don't mind the stocked birds but they definitely make for some bad habits in the dog. I find it funny most folks in the NJ pages get all pissy that the state doesn't put enough birds out. If they're not back in the truck by 7:30AM with their two birds the "hunting" is TOO hard. I'd love to get out west someday but I feel I need a little more dog power to make a trip worth it.

Don't wait one more year would be my advice.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
May I ask why? Seems like ALOT of folks are heading to South Dakota. I had North on my radar.

-Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun-
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is a program in MT that allowed stocking on private, if public access was allowed. I'm sure stocking public land in western MT is a waste of time. I honestly can't imagine why anyone even chooses to live on that side of the state... I'm sure the pheasants feel the same. While i agree that stocked bird survival rates aren't as good as wild birds, I've seen these stocked places absolutely blow up in population after a couple of years. When cover, food, and water are present, stocking isn't a bad idea at all.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Nothing attracts kids to a new activity like frustration and failure.
We didn't get any special treatment or youth seasons when I was a kid. You could go out and hunt like a man in the grown up season or stay the fugg home and play with the kiddie toys. For god sakes no wonder there's so many spoiled little snow flake pansies these days.
When you were a kid, farmers didn't plow all the way to the fence, millionaires didn't lease all the best hunting land, and kiddie toys were a tire and a stick.
We also had to work cutting firewood, throwing hay bales and running trap lines to earn the money for our own guns and shells. We didn't have to be coaxed and coddled into going hunting, we had to work for it. We certainly wouldn't want the little darlins to have to work for anything today.
You must be a real bad ass. Would you have done that stuff if you didn't have access to birds to hunt?

If you would have, you're an idiot. Normal people don't bust their ass for zero reward.

when my father gave us our chores for the day no matter what the weather condition we did them. maybe that`s why i was a REA lineman for 35 years in Northern Minnesota work and weather never did bother me ? if we didn`t do our work / chores we did not get to hunt , fish or get any ammo father was tuff ,there was no whining or crying that just made things tougher. i guess city kids and now city adults won`t understand this work ethics but country kids now adults know what i am talking about.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by DadOperator
I’m in Illinois near Chicago and stuck here for a while yet. But if it weren’t for controlled hunting here I would have no opportunity anywhere near here short of traveling many hours. I know it’s not the same but it’s all we got. I hope to one day make it out west to hunt with the big boys though.

Great Pics . I love Brittanys.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by GrouseAtHarte

I had a night job at the time as soon as I got off work went to the Black River WMA at least 3 times a week all thru the small game season. At that time NJ put out a ton of birds. My Brittany had no shortage of Pheasant and Quail to work over.

Good Times

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Those days are past history for the majority of Kids. So the answer is to adapt and find other ways to get them involved.

When I could first drive, I essentially had the entire of all surrounding counties to go and hunt. Now they are essentially posted solid. And it is the current generation that did it. So let’s not be too hard on the Kids.

Our old days have little semblance to how most grow up today.

Last edited by battue; 12/13/22.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Very. Well. Said.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
716 members (12308300, 160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 89 invisible), 2,692 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,696
Posts18,399,917
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.