Print Thread
Hop To
D
dassa Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Today out hunting, there was a [bleep]-ton of snow geese sitting on a field across the road from the wildlife area. They eventually took off and flew to who knows where. I've never seen them this close to anywhere I hunt, so I've never gone after them.

Anyway, a few questions:

Is it likely to decoy them away from a field they're heading to?

How many decoys would that take?

Any other tips to increase the chances of success?

Thanks in advance.

BP-B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
It's tough to decoy any species of waterfowl to someplace they don't want to go. At best, you can get them to swing by offering a pass shot if lucky. The larger the flock, the harder it is to change their mind. If you want to decoy them be in the field they want to be in, particularly the exact part of the field they want.

When I target snows, the least number of field decoys I'll put out is about 300 if I'm alone and several hundred if I have others with. If I'm in the hot spot I like to put out as many decoys as I have and that is about 3000. I use a mix of silhouettes, shells, full bodies, magnets, windsocks, and rags made into windsocks. I'll even put up a few kites if the wind is steady.

If hunting water I'll get by with 2-3 dozen decoys which is plenty if you are where the birds want to be. I don't like hunting over water as these are often roosting areas and doing so will cause the birds to leave, sometimes for years in extreme cases. Snows seem to be less wary coming to water though they prefer shallower water than Canadas. The joke is, snows like to get their feet wet but keep their bellies dry. It isn't quite that bad but it gives one the idea. Snows also want to be further from shore if possible. If warm enough, I've knelt down among the decoys wearing waders and a white poncho and shot plenty of snows

Single snows are the easiest geese to decoy in but they don't run alone much. The larger the flock the harder they are to decoy which is why being in THE SPOT is so critical. Those large flocks will have some old birds in them and those have survived many decoy spreads. Being in the right spot will lessen the wariness a little but mostly the less educated birds will be in a hurry to get on the ground and get to eating rather than look or hear warnings of danger.

Snows have gotten more educated over the years. Being shot at for several months a year will do that. I used to spend several weeks a year chasing them from Manitoba to North Dakota to Nebraska, to Texas then back but not so much any more. Old age and cost are serious factors now so I'm glad I did what I did when I did.

D
dassa Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
That's kind of what I figured. Part of why I've never hunted them is because I've never seen them in fields I had access to. I'm sure not gonna spring for hundreds of decoys in the off chance I might one day get a chance to hunt them.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
The number of snow geese in eastern SD at present is unbelievable. I haven't decoyed them in years. A guy might sneak on them, get close and pass shoot singles as they trade around. Incredibly wary birds.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We always add a few snows to the edge of our goose spreads. The white stands out for a LOOOONG way and gets the attention of a lot of other birds too. If you are dealing with around 6 or less they are pretty easy to decoy around here (middle of Mississippi Flyway). Calling helps and I have seen mouth calling work also.

If you are seeing a group of 100, well just sit back, drink your coffee, and wait for them to return during the conservation season. That is when we put out big spreads, e-callers, etc.

The lion and tiger might be stronger, but the wolf does not perform in the circus.

NRA Life Member
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dassa
Today out hunting, there was a [bleep]-ton of snow geese sitting on a field across the road from the wildlife area. They eventually took off and flew to who knows where. I've never seen them this close to anywhere I hunt, so I've never gone after them.

Anyway, a few questions:

Is it likely to decoy them away from a field they're heading to?

How many decoys would that take?

Any other tips to increase the chances of success?

Thanks in advance.

Snow geese are very smart especially the ones that have made it through a couple of seasons.

With snow geese the more decoys the better, as in 100 + if you want to have an excellent shoot. If you only have a few decoys out, you may get a few Juveniles. Learn how to call, that will also improve you hunting success big time.

Below 1 morning hunt, 1 shooter, 75 snows and many ducks. Sorry for the poor-quality picture, I took the picture from the framed one hanging in my office. KB

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by KillerBee; 11/30/22.

KB

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I hunted them about 16 years ago. Then we had 1800 rags out. When you get into a good pile of them - the most fun you can have with a shotgun.

Me

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Find a feed. Put out a lot of rags or fewer full bodies.

Sitting under a big spin of snow geese is something every bird hunter should do at least once.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Sitting under a big spin of snow geese is something every bird hunter should do at least once.

Yep - being under this with no limit, extended magazines and a case of ammo...

Me

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Outstanding Teal! Was that in LA?

By the way my favorite duck to hunt is, yep the Teal lol

Love the way they come ZIPPING in :o)

KB

KB

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by KillerBee
Outstanding Teal! Was that in LA?

By the way my favorite duck to hunt is, yep the Teal lol

Love the way they come ZIPPING in :o)

KB

I don't know, random vid from the tubes. Not mine. Prob shoulda said. But I've hunted them in MO like this.

Laying in your blind giggling like tween girls cuz you know what's coming.

I also learned quickly that a SX3, extended mag shooting as many 3.5 inch 12 as fast as possible sucks! Went down to 3 inch after first Salvo.

Me

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
lol!

I will have to look into outfitters down there and give it a go, giggling like tween girls sounds like FUN!

KB

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

Yep - being under this with no limit, extended magazines and a case of ammo...

Lots of geese there, but believe it or not you can get under spins so big, you can empty your ext. mag tube and have time to reload and shoot into the same spin again, because it's so loud, the geese on top have no idea your are killing those on the bottom.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
That vid is Tony vandemore, who runs habitat flats in MO and CA. World class place, but about as expensive as you can get.

Lot of good guides in East Central Arkansas, Missouri and South Dakota.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
640 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,651 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,603
Posts18,398,309
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.