Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Don't blame you. The older I get the less I like snow. It could never snow again and it'll be too soon for me! Hooray for global warming!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
BP-B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I love winter and snow, provided I'm sitting in my Big and Tall Lazy Boy recliner with a jigger of CC and don't have to drive 275 miles in it. laugh

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
We have over a foot here and still snowing, sposed to snow all weekend and high winds tommorow! Hoping to get out Sunday evening and Monday. I have trouble getting around in the snowy woods, if we get much. Little feeling in my left foot, tend to fall alot. Don't care much for Snow anymore myself. Having a small surgery on Tuesday doc says no deer hunting for at least a week don't want me to year the stitches out, inner and outer. Jerry Happy Hunting go em!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
saddlering, can you believe it, i got it! Here's your deer photo.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

LOL
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yahooey! That Beowulf knocked him ass-over-tincups, huh?!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Roy, I can't believe you shot that poor little deer with a machine gun. The Democrats say those monsters are only for killing people.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wyo1895
Roy, I can't believe you shot that poor little deer with a machine gun. The Democrats say those monsters are only for killing people.

Not me, I don't even own a machine gun. That's our friend John/saddlerings deer! He's a stone cold killer.

LOL
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Thanks Roy! The 50 Beowulf, is a modern 50-70, kick is more of a shove! Have had alot of fun with this one this summer.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Is that a savage?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Been extremely slow up here in Michigans U.P. I live in the country in Western Delta County. Half a dozen deer camps on my dead end road. ZERO bucks on buck poles after first 3 days of hunt. Michigan DNR with their liberal regulations (2 buck lics. for years) and wolves have about knocked the herd way down. Low buck to doe ratio and just about zero older age class bucks. They say we need to kill more does to up the buck to doe ratio. I don't think so!! We need to raise the buck numbers to improve the ratio by get rid of the 2 buck lic. and have a 1 buck per year lic, instead.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by stevevan1
Been extremely slow up here in Michigans U.P. I live in the country in Western Delta County. Half a dozen deer camps on my dead end road. ZERO bucks on buck poles after first 3 days of hunt. Michigan DNR with their liberal regulations (2 buck lics. for years) and wolves have about knocked the herd way down. Low buck to doe ratio and just about zero older age class bucks. They say we need to kill more does to up the buck to doe ratio. I don't think so!! We need to raise the buck numbers to improve the ratio by get rid of the 2 buck lic. and have a 1 buck per year lic, instead.
Originally Posted by stevevan1

If no one has killed a buck On your road this gun season than going form one to two bucks probably won’t make a difference. I do agree one buck is enough.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The dear little wolves are the problem. The elk here are really skittish. We can't get near them. I've seen wolf tracks mixed in with the elk tracks. It used to be that the elk would break up into small groups making it easier to get one. Fewer eyes in the herd plus wider distribution. They stay bunched up now in large herds for protection against the wolves.
Game and Fish want some of the cows thinned out in the feed ground areas so they don't have so many to feed. I'll keep after it until season ends Nov 30 but I'm not feeling too optimistic.

wyo1895
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'm not sure wolves are the problem for deer ( no idea about elk ). I believe Northern Minnesota has the highest wolf population in the continental US and there are plenty of deer up here.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
No wolves where I hunt, but coyotes are definitely making their presence felt, especially in the springtime when they'll pull down baby deer. A cousin of mine arrow shot a once in a lifetime trophy in northern PA a couple years ago, and by the time he trailed it to its final resting spot a pack of coyotes had ripped all the goodies off of it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We still have plenty of elk. It's just harder to get to them due to harassment from the wolves. Saw some this morning but it was too early to tell whether they had antlers. It's cow only now. I've heard that the elk population in Yellow stone is greatly reduced due to wolves. But that is probably mostly due to Spring harassment against the calves.

wyo1895
[email protected]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Yellowstone elk herd is at about 30% of it's peak.

Yellowstone wolf population broke 100 in 1998, climbed to 175 by 2003, dropped below 100 again by 2009 when food got scarce.

[Linked Image from nps.gov]

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have I mentioned that the wolves introduced here are non-native gray wolves. The native wolves here were timber wolves, smaller and less aggressive than gray wolves. Funny how some people want to do away with non native species but will introduce non natives if it fits their agenda.

wyo1895
[email protected]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Years ago I did a lot of population biology work concentrating on wolves in Yellowstone. They were mainly listed as gray wolves. Then some data had them listed as northern rocky mountain wolves or some sort of timber wolves, which if I recall correctly both are considered subspecies of gray wolves but different than the eastern timber wolf we have in MN. The timber wolves we have here I think are subspecies of gray wolves arising from hybridization with coyotes. Seems to be a giant cluster [bleep] and clear as thick mud. No idea what is going on so I gave up paying much attention. We apparently have gray wolves in MN as well as timber wolves ( apparently debatable). I know a wolf when I rarely see one but I couldn't tell the difference to save my life.

Last edited by damnesia; 11/22/22.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I guess we have wolves working their way in around here now. Can't wait to smoke all of them I see.

LOL
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by damnesia
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Is that a savage?

I was being serious. I'm not familiar with guns currently offered by Savage.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
663 members (1lessdog, 2500HD, 257 mag, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 10gaugemag, 73 invisible), 2,733 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,108
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.