When the snow's up to your butt.
You take a breath of winter air
And your nose gets frozen shut.

Yes, the weather here is wonderful
So I guess I'll hang around.
I could never leave Dakotas
'Cause I'm frozen to the ground!"

Last edited by 5sdad; 11/20/22.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Story is, when the wind blows your hat away in the Decotas, you don't chaise it, you just grab the next one coming along.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Impressive use of poetic license.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was pheasant hunting with my brother near Chamberlain, SD and the wind was flat out howling. At the crest of a hill the wind somehow angled upward and felt like it was lifting us off the ground. We were laughing and screwing around with the effect when a low passing jet fighter, probably out of Ellsworth AFB, blasted out of nowhere and absolutely shattered the world. I think I saw Jesus. The next thing I knew we were all laid out - a tangle of brothers, shotguns, and a German shorthaired pointer with a WTF-was-that-look on his face.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

IC B2

5sdad Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Always enjoy that - fantastic.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It keeps the riff raff out

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
You guys got that about right lol. We used to say it keeps the rifraf out, but that doesn't seem to work anymore. It's not uncommon to see the interstate overheads full of snow to the top of the bridge from the road. I'm glad I'm retired I had a crew with the DOT WINTERS GOT OLD and if your running a snowplow your going to get hit usually by a semi. My great grandparents came in an ox driven wagon and lived in a sod house. I believe there is a shrinkage warning as of now. Good stuff!!!

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by 5sdad
(Disclaimer: I love Dakota.)

"It's winter in Dakotas
and the gentle breezes blow.
Seventy miles an hour,
At thirty-five below.

Oh how I love Dakotas,
When the snow's up to your butt.
You take a breath of winter air
And your nose gets frozen shut.

Yes, the weather here is wonderful
So I guess I'll hang around.
I could never leave Dakotas
'Cause I'm frozen to the ground!"

When I first went into the Arctic, I didn't think the winters were that much different from where I grew up in central ND.. I got back last night from several days in Eastern Montana, after a week in Ixtapa.

I haven't changed my mind. smile

Last edited by las; 11/21/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
An out-of-stater was talking to a ND farmer, and asked, "Does the wind always blow like this?"

The farmer thought a few seconds and replied, "No. Sometimes it changes direction". True also in the Arctic.

The Arctic (like ND and eastern MT) is technically a desert, so it doesn't get all that much snow, but we used the hell out of what we did get, back and forth.... smile

Being from ND may be the reason I liked living in the Arctic. Besides, the summers are cooler - I don't do hot for very long, very well anymore. My wife and I agreed we may have stayed one day too long in that 90 degree weather in Ixtapa, but it's nice to warm up for 4-5 days in mid winter.

Last edited by las; 11/21/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Before I moved to WY a longtime friend of mine that lived here told me the snow doesn't melt in Wyoming. When I expressed skeptism he responded "it just blows over to Nebraska".

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I live about 12 miles from Canada in north central N.D. The best thing about the cold is that it keeps our population between 600,000 and 700,000 thousand people total. A few to many but bearable. Edk

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well damn guys, after reading these comments I believe I will mark "visit North Dakota" of my bucket list. I don't mind a little cold down to single digits but the f-ing wind can kiss my arse!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
A friend of mine, who is a very successful predator hunter, invited me up to north central Nord Dakota to hunt coyotes one winter. Told me to bring three (3!!) snowmobile suits that could fit over top of one another. Only way to survive sitting still in the snow. Told him thanks, but no…

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

130 members (358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 22 invisible), 2,308 guests, and 913 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,648
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.