24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’d go with a .308 Winchester. I’d want a FC with a short action and shorter barrel. A .308 Win would about the most versatile and efficient combination in a shorter barreled rifle and still have a good trajectory at any range that a FC was intended for hunting at.

BP-B6

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Why do I need a Barrett Fieldcraft?

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
You probably don't if you just hunt in your local area but if you hunt mountains then they are what you want. They do have some flies. The bolts don't lock closed and you have to make sure that your firing pin has a solid connection but they were fully bedded with a decent barrel, a very good stock and a great trigger. They tend to stay with a small group and will not walk on subsequent shots.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Model70Fan
Originally Posted by Tarquin
6.5 x .284 would be my choice. I have a Barrett that I am modifying to feed and chamber the 6.5 x .284 as we speak. I had Kevin Weaver open up the mag well to accept a COAL of 3.2". I've got to lengthen the mag box. I modified a Manners Ultra-Light Classic (much lighter and trimmer than the Fieldcraft stock) and I have a chambered and fitted Lothar Walther fluted barrel installed with a muzzle diameter of .640. If everything goes according to plan, the finished weight will come in right at 5 lbs.
I’m sure folks would like to see pics when you’re finished!

I'll try and post a photo or two of my butchery (i.e., the project) this evening.

Tarquin
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If I had to have one....

300 Winchester Mag......26 inch barrel

If I had to have two...

#2 would be in .270 WSM.....26 inch barrel

I would be set for heavy with some azz on it and then light and fast for ultra flat.

I already have rifles in these cartridges and reload for both....love them both for what they offer up and down the scale.

Very hard to beat both.

Best
HeavyDove.

Last edited by HeavyDove; 11/21/22.
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by kaboku68
You probably don't if you just hunt in your local area but if you hunt mountains then they are what you want. They do have some flies. The bolts don't lock closed and you have to make sure that your firing pin has a solid connection but they were fully bedded with a decent barrel, a very good stock and a great trigger. They tend to stay with a small group and will not walk on subsequent shots.

Appreciate the objective input. I’m happy with my Borden’s.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
That’s exactly what I was thinking. I had stew for supper too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 6.5 CM in a Fieldcraft is a sweet rifle. I picked one up for my wife.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If I was trekking around the side of a mountain looking for Billy Goat Gruff, then a 270. If you think you might accidentally encounter something more dangerous, like a moose that might stomp you or a bear that might chew on you, then 30-06.

As it is, for a low lander, in the lower half of North America, considering ease of ammo acquisition, a 223 on the the low end and a 6.5 CM on the high end.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
7-08 in 21in spout.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Never heard about any firing pin issues, but agree with the rest. For what I paid, my FC is altogether satisfactory, very nicely put together as well. My Howa Alpine, which has been passed to my grandchildren, comes very close functionally at a third of the cost, admittedly a significantly discounted price. That Alpine is also fully bedded, BTW, which makes me think it’s not a bad idea with light barrels.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Never heard about any firing pin issues, but agree with the rest. For what I paid, my FC is altogether satisfactory, very nicely put together as well. My Howa Alpine, which has been passed to my grandchildren, comes very close functionally at a third of the cost, admittedly a significantly discounted price. That Alpine is also fully bedded, BTW, which makes me think it’s not a bad idea with light barrels.

I've not heard of the firing pin issue with Fieldcrafts either. I'd be interested in hearing a bit more about it. I can say I've got to check one of my Montana's. Was planning to use it this earlier this season and the day before was going to take a quick shot to verify zero....trigger pull resulted in a "dink" and a lightly indented primer. I've got to search through the info on the Montana light firing pin strikes...I know I've read about it here. Any how, Fieldcraft went instead of the Montana and all ended well with the chunky fellow below.

Every rifle I've full length bedded in a quality synthetic stock has shot well. All of them have been sporter/#2 or less contours. I kinda like having no gap around the barrel for water/twigs. The first one I full length bedded was after seeing freezing rain ice up in the free float while hunting.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I can say I've got to check one of my Montana's. Was planning to use it this earlier this season and the day before was going to take a quick shot to verify zero....trigger pull resulted in a "dink" and a lightly indented primer. I've got to search through the info on the Montana light firing pin strikes...I know I've read about it here.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...84m-light-primer-strike-ftf#Post14532586

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I can say I've got to check one of my Montana's. Was planning to use it this earlier this season and the day before was going to take a quick shot to verify zero....trigger pull resulted in a "dink" and a lightly indented primer. I've got to search through the info on the Montana light firing pin strikes...I know I've read about it here.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...84m-light-primer-strike-ftf#Post14532586

Thanks!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
One in 6 cm or .243 win and one in .338 Fed should cover things

Hardin284
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’ve both threaded and unthreaded versions . Life sucks

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Dre Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Wouldn’t care if it was 270 or 06 or 6.5 PRC
They all sounds good

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
A 1:7 22-250 in a walking rifle sounds interesting.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I’ve got mine in a 6.5 creed. 7-08 would be nice too!

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
6 or 6.5 MM

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
707 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 75 invisible), 2,695 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,682
Posts18,399,706
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.