H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Outsourcing to contractors.

Unions too expensive?
Contractors underlying?

Takes half a second to judge by how someone presents it.

Except rainshot.
Not often someone here presents the info straight up the middle
without shading it.

Kudos.

And FreeMe also.

BP-B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Inching up on mid-December, are you all prepared for the possible railroad strike... OH, and the possibility that it could possible even get support from long shoreman and truckers should they need to cross picket lines at certain facilities...

Phil

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
not a railroad job one that's not under worked and overpaid.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I expect that the workforce is much like any other that’s a union shop. Some people work hard and some can’t be trusted to work much if you held a gun on them. Unions traditionally dumb down the workforce to the lowest common denominator.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
J
Originally Posted by rainshot
I expect that the workforce is much like any other that’s a union shop. Some people work hard and some can’t be trusted to work much if you held a gun on them. Unions traditionally dumb down the workforce to the lowest common denominator.

Precisely stated.

NRA Patron
IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
So, yesterday's tally brings it to 4 of the 12 unions voting NO DEAL. So, 9 Dec 2022 could be bringing transportation to a crawl if new negotiations don't come up with something agreeable by the 8th.

Phil

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Working for the railroad. Decent story, still doesn't give a great picture.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I worked at the railroad for 28 years....never once did the employees get to vote to strike or not its up to the union officials.

The few times we did strike ir never lasted over a day before the US President ordered us back to work....no way they'll let the rail roads strike because it would shut the country down.

I saw trains go from trains with 4 crew members and a caboose to a 2 man crews with an engineer and a conductor with a telemetry devise on the rear and hot box detectors every so many miles. Trains could be controlled from satilites if they didn't cross public crossings.

One man trains would be too dangerous....mainly because of the hours we worked.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Half and half was today's tally. December 9th could be a strike.

https://smart-union.org/split-decis...freight-rail-contract-ratification-vote/

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The strike is like Ross Perot

“Im back in this thing, it’s on again”

I got about 35 cans of walmart chili…bring it

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LFC
I worked at the railroad for 28 years....never once did the employees get to vote to strike or not its up to the union officials.

The few times we did strike ir never lasted over a day before the US President ordered us back to work....no way they'll let the rail roads strike because it would shut the country down.

I saw trains go from trains with 4 crew members and a caboose to a 2 man crews with an engineer and a conductor with a telemetry devise on the rear and hot box detectors every so many miles. Trains could be controlled from satilites if they didn't cross public crossings.

One man trains would be too dangerous....mainly because of the hours we worked.

You must have been UTU. That wasn't the case for BLE.

But I'm going to stick my neck out and predict that you are correct and there won't be a strike lasting more than a few days.

Notice how the MSM never brings up the history. Be Askeered

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Burlington Northern Santa Fe's nickname is Best Not Start a Family. I'm a college railroader, how I payed for skool. But I never really left the game, kept my RR friendships and things now, for those still in, is ugly. No rest, no family time, no support "out there," it's just a total and utter grind and the job itself is no fun any more even on the good trips.
Oh, and you've got cameras watching every second, too. Don't tell any dirty jokes or give some kids by the tracks an extra toot on the horn, air costs money.
Wall Street latched on to this thing called "Precision Scheduled Railroading" that does just great as long as NOTHING EVER GOES WRONG. And with infrastructure better than it has ever been (truly), most of the time, you can get away with it. But the tiniest glitch? There's nobody around to fix it, no spares, no fallback.
And with working conditions so bad, railroads can't even recruit from all the experienced people they tossed out on the street when Covid cut traffic.
So I hope the unions win this time. While Wall Street lusts for an automatic train set that spins out cash like clockwork, our train set is out on the porch and runs across the neighbor's property. Someone has to keep an eye on things (awake) and fix stuff (brains and skill) or nothing runs at all.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Heaven forbids if they automate and cut the crew to just an engineer. Who'd watch the controls if he'd need to go down into the nose to check the tires?

Phil

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
UP is the most woke place to work in the nation. If anybody complains that someone hurt their feelings that person gets fired or at least reprimanded. UP and I'm sure the others made record profits last year and they want to cut forces to make more. It's a pretty sordid monopoly. UP car shop used to have a full machine shop and blacksmith shop. Instead of keeping them and turning them into a museum they loaded it all into gondolas and sold perfectly good machines and equipment for scrap. They've been slowly closing the car shops and laying people off in order to farm out the work to contractors for a long time now. The city of Palestine Texas has a contract drawn up and signed over 150 years ago that has been deemed invalid by the judicial system. They've been trying to close down that shop for many years. it's been to the supreme court at least two times and they denied but probably not this time.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
BNSF is doing that too.

My friend almost cried when they yarded all the machine tools out to the scrap pile.

Wouldn't even sell them. Too dangerous for the employees to run.

The Union and the Corporate Guys are working together to screw the employees.

Shame on you people.

I am MAGA.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
NS did the same here in Roanoke, VA
Shop/yard is a ghost town.

FJB & FJT
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
741 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 76 invisible), 2,969 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,767
Posts18,401,467
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.