Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I have one in 30-06 that's maybe 10 years old. The original magazine wouldn't feed the cartridges without hanging up. They send me a new one, and another new one. Finally the 3d one works ok. I tried winding the spring in one a turn tighter. That only made the cases stick tighter.

I'd like to get another one. Have they improved them any in the last few years? I don't want to pay for another crap one.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No they are crap. I got a new Predator in 22-250 recently and the mag didn't even function as it was assembled wrong. I got it working but it is cheap junk. Bill Ruger would never have allowed mags like these.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Make sure to get the newer "stack" mags rather than the rotary mags. In fact, Ruger will probably send you a stack mag replacement for your original RAR, if you ask them again.

Last edited by Jordan Smith; 11/21/22. Reason: Not sure whether they are single or double stack
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
There would be more RAR rifles around here if their magazines weren't such garbage.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Make sure to get the newer "stack" mags rather than the rotary mags. In fact, Ruger will probably send you a stack mag replacement for your original RAR, if you ask them again.
Are they available in LA?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not sure, but I would expect so. Worth a call, for sure.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The original magazine wouldn't feed the cartridges without hanging up.

I bought a new one, a Predator in .308, earlier this month. Wouldn't feed the second or third round reliably.

Took it back, because they offered to send it to Ruger for warranty repair free of charge. Instead of doing that, they swapped the magazine out of a rifle they had on the rack.

That one seems to work, feeding dummies in the shop, and live rounds in the bedroom (safety on). I'll take it to the range in a few days to give it a work out.

One thing I noticed with the original magazine, the edge of the case mouth would sometimes catch on the edge at the very front of the magazine. That might have been the cause of the hangups.

I thought of taking a round file to it to smooth out the inner edge, but we'll see if the new magazine works without messing with it.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
One thing I noticed with the original magazine, the edge of the case mouth would sometimes catch on the edge at the very front of the magazine. That might have been the cause of the hangups.
My problem has been that the rounds don't come to the top. They hang up down inside the mag.

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Who makes a stack mag for 30-06?

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My understanding is that Ruger gave up on their rotary mag in the RAR and went to a stack mag (not the AI version). They have recently replaced the rotary mag with a stack version for some folks.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My understanding is that Ruger gave up on their rotary mag in the RAR and went to a stack mag (not the AI version). They have recently replaced the rotary mag with a stack version for some folks.
https://shopruger.com/Ruger-American-Rifle-4-Round-308-Multi-Caliber-Magazine/productinfo/90689/

Ruger doesn't show a comparable LA but a call may turn up something they don't list in their store.

Last edited by Whttail_in_MT; 11/21/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The 22-250 is an odd mag from the rest. See how the "flap" inside is vertical, mine NIB was horizontal, and rounds just fell in there. I repaired it it be like the picture plus added an extra turn, so far so good.

Attached Images
90573.jpg (10.41 KB, 307 downloads)
Last edited by 4570fan; 11/23/22.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have three original mags for my .308. They all worked, as long as you just put two rounds in them-which is OK. I called Ruger and they sent me three more. They were a bit better, but for the most part, the same issue. They do OK for my purposes, though. A stacked mag would be great for that rifle, though, as I really like mine.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
What happened when you put in three?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by tjm10025

Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not feed right. Two is enough, anyway, with one in the chamber.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by tjm10025

Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not feed right. Two is enough, anyway, with one in the chamber.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good advice.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Too bad the mags are so sketchy. This rifle is arguably the most accurate value rifle ever made by an American firm. Kudos to Ruger.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I tried all the tricks on the original rotary magazines. the best fix is to buy the models that use a AI type or ar type mags. I've even done a 22 250 conversion into a Magpul stock using an AICS type mag .. those all run great .. not sure that that does any good in a 06 chambering ..

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Ive had a RAR in 7-08 for several years now and have had no issues with my magazine feeding rounds.

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
94 members (99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 257_X_50, 14 invisible), 1,674 guests, and 668 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,724
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.