Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Sh40674 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Just got done rebarreling to a 358 from a 243. Was bored at work thinking a 458 win would be fun. I'll never hunt with one or hunt anything that I'd need one, but just something to blow extra change on if I happened to come across a cheap 300 or 7mm.

For those that have, was it worth it? More or less to say I have one lol. Just figured I'd get some input from those that have one "just because"

GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
The great, wonderful, versatile and magnificent 458WM is worth it. See the so titled thread above.
F01

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Sh40674
Just got done rebarreling to a 358 from a 243. Was bored at work thinking a 458 win would be fun. I'll never hunt with one or hunt anything that I'd need one, but just something to blow extra change on if I happened to come across a cheap 300 or 7mm.

For those that have, was it worth it? More or less to say I have one lol. Just figured I'd get some input from those that have one "just because"

As Fury01 stated they are very versatile with many bullets available today.

I would definitely consider them fun, if you have an interest in larger bores. Particularly if you like tinkering with different bullets and loads. You have a lot of flexibility as to performance level.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I dreamed of big bores since I was a teen reading Finn Aagard, Ross Seyfreid, Charlie Askins and others. Knew I wasn’t going to Africa but still wanted one to play with. Never shot anything bigger than a 300 mag. I found a 458 Lott RSM and HAD to have it. If you’re wanting to play with one, by all means do so. Makes life more interesting which is all the reason you should need.

S
Sh40674 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Didn't even see the sticky🤦‍♂️

I passed up on a 416 rem last year selling locally for only 650 bucks. Went cheap because.. this is iowa lol. Ever since then I was kicking myself.

LOVE big bores. I dont reload but I'm looking forward to my 358. I have my 50bmg, a few 10 gauges. Hunt pheasant with a 16 and 28, I just like the odd stuff I guess. Thinking a 458 will be the next project!

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Working on barreling a No. 1 action to 458 Win Mag. Looks like the free bore on this Ruger barrel is pretty long so a 458 WM+ should be doable. Don’t know that I’ll hunt anything with it but I’ve gotten interested in a long COAL 458 WM.

Only other 458 WM I currently use is a Ruger M-77 TS. It’s exactly as it left the factory, nothing fancy.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M

I passed up on a 416 rem last year selling locally for only 650 bucks. Went cheap because.. this is iowa lol. Ever since then I was kicking myself.

Why kick yourself when you can get a 458 to do that for you

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Not for fun, it's a necessity:

Global Warming, climate change are going to cause the polar caps to melt, The saber tooth tigers and the mastodons are going to wake up.
They are going to migrate to Mexico and the Gulf Coast because , according to the experts, that's where the sub freezing temeratures will be...

Those animals are going to be hungry and horny. You can be a hero or a victim...

LOL OF course build it, it'll kill a deer (If it's legal in your state...).

My largest is a 375 H&H, I've often wanted to build a 416 Taylor. Now I'd re barrel to a 458 WM.

2 things we've learned over the past 2 years: Biden is an idiot, and you cannot count on being able to get supplies, thus with the 416 Taylor I'd have to have a lot of components stored...

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Worth building alright, but not just for fun,
it has the best hope for survival of a species of firearm.
Odds are right up there with a species of insect: cockroaches.

From page 143 of "The Square Table" thread where the .458 Winchester Magnum gets a square deal:

What rifle chambering offers the best in practicality in the coming years ?
With the Democraps doing a bang-up job running the supply chain,
we may have to get back to paper-patched cast bullets and making our own black powder at home.
The .458 WinMag cannot be beat for such applications,
as well as being tops with smokeless and jacketed bullets, should any ever get to shelves at your local emporium.
There are more possibilities for making brass from stray H&H-belted cases than with any other all-arounder.
The .458 WinMag is indeed the winner on so many levels.
One thing that bothers me is the primer supply chain, let's go Brandon.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Was a Gun Dealer have had just about any and all caliber rifle in my hands.....also have pulled the trigger on them....
Have always kept a 45 something to just shoot or bust a whitetail.....one caliber that I've always kept dies for and a rifle is a 458 Winchester.....
Whats great about it you can load it up to shoot elephant or down to shoot a deer even a woodchuck in the wood lot even cast some bullets to just poke holes in some paper targets....

IC B3

S
Sh40674 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Well I think you guys lit the fire lol. Now to search for a cheap rifle or action

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have two 458’s, a Mod 70 458 Win Mag and a double 500/450 3 1/4” NE.

Along with a few 375’s the are all good fun!

Enjoy yourself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well I think you guys lit the fire lol. Now to search for a cheap rifle or action

Go with the rifle. That way you can have some fun and get a better idea about whether you really want to build one of your own, without dropping a bundle.

The .458 bore is a wonderful thing, but unless you have a specific purpose in mind, one based on a smaller case will be more generally useful and portable. A .458 WM rifle has to be built strong and heavy enough to handle the recoil of full-power loads. Even if you plan using mostly or even only lighter ones, is a rifle that size something you want to carry around? If not then go with a .45/70, or if you want a bolt gun, a .450 Marlin.

Some years ago an LGS had a very nice Ruger #1 in .458 Lott in the used rack at a nice price. I always thought one of those was a good idea for shooting BP or light smokeless loads. Picked it up and then put it right back. It was a handful, much more than even my younger self would want to hunt with.

Contemplating this stuff is at least half the fun. Enjoy.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I bought an Interarms MarkX in 458 Win mag, just for fun as I have no use for it otherwise. Mine has a B&C synthetic stock and shoots very well. I mounted a S&B 1.1X4 straight tube scope on it. Very well balanced rifle that shoots very well

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
One of the benefits for a heavy caliber rifle seldom if ever mentioned, is that it provides an opportunity to self scrutinize your own ability and teach you by forcing discipline into your routine. The act of holding the rifle in a position of control, the methods of staging for the rifle support, comfort, eye alignment, concentration on the target as a more major factor and priority than worrying about recoil. Most importantly, learning to squeeze the trigger during that period of concentration on the target so that the firing is less expected and flinching is eliminated from the shot.

This is real and possible through various methods of assistance such as working up loads or using lighter bullets to begin with but it can be done and you will never realize the accuracy potential of your rifle until you begin to manage it and not fear it. You also have to learn a reasonable shooting period or number of shots as a reasonable session, as this will never be an all afternoon varminting rig though will do spectacular work on targets of opportunity.

Never forget, "Designed by mortal man for use by mortal man".

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I wrote a review on those when first released and broke 2 stocks at the wrist during the review which the importers gunsmith took very serious note of at the time. Wish I'd have bought it now, as they were great shooters albeit, very light rifles for a .458. Our importer also brought in .375's at the same time but I was the big bore guy, so the .375 went to another writer.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
One of the benefits for a heavy caliber rifle seldom if ever mentioned, is that it provides an opportunity to self scrutinize your own ability and teach you by forcing discipline into your routine. The act of holding the rifle in a position of control, the methods of staging for the rifle support, comfort, eye alignment, concentration on the target as a more major factor and priority than worrying about recoil. Most importantly, learning to squeeze the trigger during that period of concentration on the target so that the firing is less expected and flinching is eliminated from the shot.

This is real and possible through various methods of assistance such as working up loads or using lighter bullets to begin with but it can be done and you will never realize the accuracy potential of your rifle until you begin to manage it and not fear it. You also have to learn a reasonable shooting period or number of shots as a reasonable session, as this will never be an all afternoon varminting rig though will do spectacular work on targets of opportunity.

Never forget, "Designed by mortal man for use by mortal man".

As to myself, the 458 Lott was and still is a learning lesson for me. Off the bench, it definitely lets me know when short cut the set up.

My 458 Winchester & Lott interest is with the 400 grain and below bullet weights. I still find the recoil lively in the 2500-2600 + fps range. My rifles with scopes are in the 9.5 -9.75 lbs range.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I found the right deal I’d be interested. I hardly ever even use my 300 WSM, prefer smaller cartridges. My idea is a 375 on up.

At least as an avid reloader, I can keep things reasonable for casual shooting.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
OP, build it! You'll enjoy it. Load it down for fun and up if going where you might need its capabilities.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Had a 458, never really warmed up to it. I do like a Whitworth 375 a lot though. Versus building I'd just buy an existing one, scratch the itch, and if you feel like selling down the road you won't get hosed. My old Ruger seemed like a well built rig.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

451 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 55 invisible), 2,893 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,276
Posts18,467,558
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.