Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Gents, I wasn't expecting all the accolades. Gee Whiz, shucks, blush...

SCRooster, I spent most of my 2.5 years in I Corps. Funny thing is that while in the 229th (1st Cav) based at Bien Hoa, one of our assignments was to wander back up to Danang and assist with the battle of Quang Tri. I couldn't figure out how to stay away from that place apparently. At that time I was the only wanker in the company that had been there, so I spent a lot of time as tour guide. Funny perspective? My peers had little experience in high mountain country but I was at home in the hills. I always got lost in the flatlands. grin

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

GB1

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Good stuff as usual BD.

Someday I’m buying you a whiskey.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JTrapper73
Always enjoy your stories Dan. Thanks for your service!

And yes, Greg Stube is a great guy. I got to meet him at a function for kids put on by the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation.
The funny thing is I had read his story in a gun rag a couple years before that and then as he told his story I thought that sounds awful familiar.
He only lived a few miles from me for a while but I believe he has since moved.
His military career began in the infantry as an 11 Charlie as I recall. Heck of a guy. Very humble.
I had a battery commander who did 2 tours in VN. The first as an 11 bullet stopper and the second as a Huey/Loach pilot. He was a great commander. Unfortunately, he passed young after a snow mobile accident left him partially paralyzed. We had many heroes come from the VN generation some of whom are now gone and their accomplishments will never be known. I'm glad your still around Dan to pass on your stories.

This building was commissioned by Cpt B.C. Jolly for we MP's at B Btry in 1975. It's not much but it's still standing at 3200 feet ASL.

kwg
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for the story Dan. Lucky tooth for sure. Really enjoy your posts. 👍👍

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I love it when a plan works! Welcome home and thanks.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Welcome home and thanks for the great stories you tell.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As usual, told well!

My gratitude for your time in saddle.

As a side note, I rebuilt the dam at Lake Mineral Wells. They dropped the steel off and I hooked up around 800 the next morning to shake it out. In 30 seconds every guy on the crew was on top of the backhoe with me, normal English speakers reverted to Mexican quick, but I got the gist of "snake"!!! I'll say. About 30 coontail rattlers and and lessor assortment of copperheads were crawling everywhere. Inside the park I felt it unwise to start popping them with the only thing I had (1911 in .45). Guess they crawled up to catch the heat of the rebar overnight?

Resident game warden came down in a little bit and said that ain't no snakes, you want to see snakes, I will be back at 1800 and show you some snakes.

He took me in his possum cop truck through the back gate at Ft. Wolters, and the abandoned tarmac was dotted like cow pies every 3 feet or so as far as you could see with rattlers, still gives me the creepy crawlies...

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Dan,

I love you.

-Flave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Worriedman, most folks have no idea about how good skids on a chopper are at turning snakes into skid marks. grin

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by deflave
Dan,

I love you.

-Flave

Sorry, I just burped. 🤭

I am..........disturbed.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dan , i want to thank you for your service, and say that I’m glad you’re still here to add to the Campfire.
You’re one of the good ones.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Thanks for your service Dan.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Originally Posted by deflave
Dan,

I love you.

-Flave

Sorry, I just burped. 🤭

Dodged Another One ..

Hahaha Hahaha

Another 50 Dan

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Simply amazing how some little decisions we make are little forks in the road that can affect the rest of our lives. On that day you got an “above average in headwork” as we used to call it in the Naval Aviation grading system.😁

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A Warrior returns, Welcome home Brother.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Good thing you didn't ass up in that chopper.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
50 years ago I was unconscious and operated on for a kidney machine, due to a tree topping accident.
Then I woke up and told them the catheter was incorrectly inserted... and get that kidney machine stuff out of my wrist.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

619 members (1234, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 65 invisible), 2,757 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,052
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.