Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
I'd like to hear what you FAR north Alaskans think the best cold weather clothes are.

Clothes for outside all day, all night, NOT, sit around type clothes.
Clothes that can stand up to rough use like industrial work, trapping, riding a snow-machine through brush/limbs, etc. . Wet snow, windy all day and you're still comfy ??

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
You coming up?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I’m not in the FAR north of AK, but I’ve worked on the slope, and still regularly work in the interior. -40 is common in my working conditions.

What you’re asking for doesn’t exist in a single kind of garment. Snow isn’t wet when it’s really cold. Riding a snow machine is not a static activity and it’s easy to get overheated if you’re overdressed.

Layers is the key, and varying your garments for the specific conditions at the time and place.

For footwear, it’s a no-brainer: bunny boots. For basic light labor work, I wear carhartt bibs and jacket. For extreme warmth when it’s -40 or below, I wear silk long underwear, polypro above that, then street clothes, then a down puff jacket with a set of quilted poly bibs I still have from when I was in the Army then a synthetic shell.

For snowmaching I use a basic off the shelf set of Klim jacket, bibs and gloves. I’ve only ridden down to about-20 or so, so take that for what it’s worth.

For on the slope, FR carharts we’re provided by my employer, but I never spent for than 30 minutes or so outside- there was always a running truck nearby.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Ironbender,

No, not coming to Alaska, moving to Idaho mountains and going to do a lot of trapping/hunting.
And by far north Alaska I just meant Alaska, figured you folks would know what works best.

LoadClear,

That's about the answer I expected, layers is always the way to go.

I looked at some sub-0 heavy-duty clothes, Iron Tuff and others and wondered if anybody up there used them or similar.

https://refrigiwear.com/category/54-gold-collection/

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The price on those is in line, or a bit less than the stuff I wear, and they look pretty good, but I’ve never heard of them.

I’d always be cautious about wearing a jacket “rated to -54” because conditions change so much in a day, or even a couple miles, that I’d want the ability to add or drop clothes throughout the day… as an example, I was working north of Denali Park last week. In town on the highway, it was +33 degrees (in which case I just wear my daily wear jeans and jacket). 3 miles north of town it was +5, and a few miles past that, it was -12.

Huge difference for spending a couple hours outside, and a completely different type of dress.

IC B2

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
I wonder what you have to wear under a coat like that to be comfy in -54, I was in Wyoming a dozen years ago -40 with 25mph breeze. < Crazy cold to me, I think a coat would have to be a foot thick to keep a person ?warm?

Posted by Bristoe
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Never seen temps vary like you mentioned - thats wild.

Last edited by ol_mike; 11/22/22.

Posted by Bristoe
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Last winter, I had a job that was outside for about 3-4 hours off the Denali Highway just east of Cantwell. It was -47 if the truck thermometer can be believed. I was wearing the stuff I mentioned above with the down puff jacket and shell etc. I had my authentic purchased in beautiful Eek, AK seal skin hat, with a neoprene face mask (winds were maybe 10-15?).

The only part that was really cold was my hands since I needed to use them with dexterity… once they get cold, there’s no way to really warm them up again (armpits aren’t a option when wearing all that stuff). You also start to notice all those scars on your hands that you forgot about since they start hurting first.

Also, individual tolerance is huge… last week, -12 felt cold because it’s the beginning of winter. By spring, I’ll probably just wear a hoodie if it’s above 0 lol.

Years ago, when I was in Iraq, I switched to the night shift near the end of my tour (Iraq is exactly 12 hours out from AK)… so I worked from 7pm to 7am. At about midnight or so, I went outside for a smoke break, and as the breeze picked up, I got chills, and sat on my hands. I looked up at the thermometer, and it was over 90 degrees. I’d just gotten used to 110+ and 90 felt cold.

If I were you, I’d wait till you get up there and buy what everyone else who does the same thing has.

Last edited by LoadClear; 11/22/22.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
As long as I am moving, I haven't had an issue at -40 wearing Filson mackinaw wool. My Kifaru Lost Park Parka over some everyday sweaters has been great too. Normal (eek: cotton) Wally World sweats for a leg base layer has always been fine.

Boots? Muck boots or some sort of packs. My Kennetreks have been fine though I am not a normal Kennetrek boot fan. The bunny boots LoadClear mentioned work well but I haven't found them to be comfortable to walk around in. You don't have to worry about rain or moisture when it gets really, really cold, other than from yourself sweating.

Cabelas Stand Hunter Gloves have been fine though if you need any kind of dexterity, they need to come off. I am still looking for a pair of gloves that will allow me to work with my fingers in that kind of cold.

Hats? Something that covers your ears as well as your cheeks (mad bomber style) are nice. It doesn't need to be some crazy space age material. If you have any kind of a beard the ice will build up due to your breath and it'll hurt like hell to open your mouth, as it'll yank your whiskers out.

I have had more issues with gun parts freezing solid than I have with inadequate clothing. Once it "warms" up and moisture comes into the equation, things change.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
^^ yeah, bunny boots suck to walk in. If I know I’m walking more than a few hundred yards, I wrap duct tape around my legs where the tongue folds over at the top of the boot… yeah you lose hair and it stings to remove.

Also, while I’ve never done it, a buddy of mine who ran the iron dog race put duct tape under his eyes like a football player would wear black makeup.

IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by ol_mike
I wonder what you have to wear under a coat like that to be comfy in -54, I was in Wyoming a dozen years ago -40 with 25mph breeze. < Crazy cold to me, I think a coat would have to be a foot thick to keep a person ?warm?

Not really. My 'Eskimo Parka" made for me when I was in Pt Hope by a seamstress there in mid 70's is made of mouton sheep skin, wool in skin out. The skin stops the wind, the inch thick wool keeps the warm in. There is enough airflow from the thigh length bottom through the neck opening to keep the moisture down even with moderate activity.

It is heavy, but saved my ass at least twice. Can't wear it much above -20 tho, unless sitting still. O or colder and snowmachining works.

Generally I just wore long johns and street clothes under it, with heavy bib or hip snow pants for bottom.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Apololypse design parkas & bibs

Northern outfitter parkas & bibs

Posh house parka and bibs.

If you're my guest, you will take one of the three listed above. i have many sets of all three brands.

Extreme cold boots:

Northern outfitters or Northern outfitters innards inside of neo overshoe hybrids.

Intermediates for walking in snowshoes:
Baffin Apex or Cabelas Saskatchewan.

Around the dog lot doing chores:
Muck boots or boggs

Bibs for work like chainsaw milling, felling, cutting trail/breaking trail:
Refrigewear. They are made of a stretchy material for kneeling, squatting, etc. Way more comfortable than carhart garbage. Wool sweaters and Filson wool jackets over the bibs.

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 11/22/22.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I have Refrigiwear bibs that I wear a lot if it’s cold or I’m outside for long. The style you linked look similar but with wear patches for durability.

I wore them in Fairbanks at -40 and colder to watch the aurora. Regular Sorels, the Refrigiwear bibs and my arctic parka and was comfortable laying in the snow for a couple hours. That combo would be too much skiing or snowshoeing.

Activity level is a huge variable.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I’ll be honest with you- I work in cold temps, but Mainer lives and works in them. I’d trust his advice. But I still recommend moving up there first- then buying what you need.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Ironbender,

No, not coming to Alaska, moving to Idaho mountains and going to do a lot of trapping/hunting.
And by far north Alaska I just meant Alaska, figured you folks would know what works best.

LoadClear,

That's about the answer I expected, layers is always the way to go.

I looked at some sub-0 heavy-duty clothes, Iron Tuff and others and wondered if anybody up there used them or similar.

https://refrigiwear.com/category/54-gold-collection/
One must remember that there is a lot to Alaska. From southeast, to here in southcentral, the interior, and the arctic. Each is different and each has variations. There are guidelines and generalities, and no fixed “rules” other than stay dry, stay warm, and manage moisture.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I'd like to hear what you FAR north Alaskans think the best cold weather clothes are.

Clothes for outside all day, all night, NOT, sit around type clothes.
Clothes that can stand up to rough use like industrial work, trapping, riding a snow-machine through brush/limbs, etc. . Wet snow, windy all day and you're still comfy ??
It's a constant changing proposition from day to day,,,

About 10 pair of boots, from bunny boots up,

4 or 5 pair of coveralls,,snowmachine Klim type too,,

3 or 4 parka's and windbreakers,

A dozen hats from fleece to heavy beaver and otter,,boxes of mittens and gloves,etc,etc

It's never ending, I forgot facemasks in every conceivable configuration.

I tend to use more than enough gun
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Sounds like I can get by with the clothes I have, base-layers one set of silk that Rost495 recommended, 150 and 250 weight smartwool, cabelas down vest and coat, columbia wool pants and coat.

Just got a Z-Pack down head cover thingy 900 fill down and kuiu super down pants.

Z-Pack link so lite the only way you know it's on is because your head is hot.
https://zpacks.com/products/goose-hood?variant=7774541348900

A tough wind-breaking coverall that I can take off easily and warm boots I can hike in, gloves and i'm set.

The kifaru lost park parka Ted mentioned looks good, kingston mentioned it the other day. The front pocket and the backpack belt set-up seems like a good idea.

Thank for the opinions guy

Posted by Bristoe
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
I read years ago that the bunny boots weren't a boot for hiking.

I'm going to hunt ML/wolf/bear hunt until I keel over. Trap too, so I'll need a good deep winter hiking boot.

Going to 'plant' some equipment afield tents/tarps/propane [where legal lol] to keep from toting/hauling so much.

Posted by Bristoe
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I used to think wool pants were the shizzle.

Then they got wet.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have always preferred bibs over coveralls. Specifically Carhartt Arctic extremes. The exterior nylon is lighter than cotton duck, tough, wind and snow resistant. The legs are full zip and there is a center zip. What I use to layer underneath depends on temps and activity. These bibs allow you to also avoid overheating which is bad juju in very cold wx. If you get your sled stuck in a hole you can unzip as you heat up while tugging on the sled. I wear bunny boots the black ones to about -10 and the white for colder. Bunnies do not bother my feet and I can walk a long ways without boot or foot issues.

Last edited by pak; 11/23/22. Reason: Spelling

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 16penny, 17CalFan, 160user, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,411 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,218
Posts18,466,391
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.