Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DollarShort
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Magnification increases the "brightness" of the image.

On 10X the hunter is "sort of" 10 times closer.

The best image will be at the max zoom that offers a bigger or equal exit appature to you eyes pupil.

Add in the better resolution of the large objective and a significant gain can be had in low light.

Image brightness is solely attributed to exit pupil size, up to the point that it matches the size of your own dilated pupil. If the exit pupil is larger than your own pupil, then you have effectively reduced the aperture of your scope. So yeah, in that sense the brightest image will be perceived when the exit pupil matches your own pupil.

But magnification on it’s own does not increase brightness. Only the size.
Although a point source of light won’t lose as much brightness as objects that are absorbing or reflecting light as magnification increases.

Many objects will disappear as magnification increases and the exit pupil gets smaller than your own. But given enough light to illuminate your target, you can perceive a sharper image down to about a 2mm exit pupil. Because this centers the light on the most sensitive part of the eye.
Although with a dilated pupil you may perceive more details with higher magnification, given enough light on the target, the image will begin to blur with an exit pupil much smaller than 2mm.

LOL.

No.

Once the optic exit appature exceeds the shooters pupil there is nothing to be gained as far a "brightness".

But an increase in magnification brings an increase in brightness as 10X is 10 times as bright, sort of.

Just like being 10 times closer is brighter.

Physics, it's fun.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"Appature" is simply fhuqking AWESOME +P++! Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick
"Appature" is simply fhuqking AWESOME +P++! Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

While I love smashing on you I will admit you spell better.

Aperture.

Now post some video.

I'll wAIT, FOR A BIT.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

John Burns

I have all the sources.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by DrDeath
There are a lot of 40-44mm objective scopes out there as well as 50mm objective scopes. For low light hunting and shooting do the 50mm and above scopes really help that much with light transmission? There are some nice 56mm scopes out there also. Do they help that much more then the 40-44mm?

My low light hunting has been done with my Swarovski 2.5-10x56 PH, Meopta 3-12x56, and a borrowed Schmidt & Bender 2.5-10x56. These scopes were designed for night hunting of boar in Europe. Having spent a lot of time behind these scopes at night I can say without a doubt that yes, they do help that much. With a decent amount of moonlight you can hunt all night. The reticle is as important as everything else and as one poster mentioned, you'll generally be shooting with the power maxed out to discern the detail to make the shot. There are caveats though, you're not going to get a blister pack bushnell with a 56mm objective and have it do anything for you, you've got to start with best quality glass.

There are other considerations than just the scope too. Your eyes don't completely adjust to darkness until after about an hour of low light. Remember your biology classes and how they eye receptors are composed of rods and cones, cones are for daylight vision and rods for low light. It takes about an hour of low light before you get your full night vision, that's why you use green or red lens on flashlights to avoid messing up your night vision. Bright light will bleach out your photoreceptors and it takes about an hour to get your night vision back after you've been hit with bright light. During that time you're not going to be able to take full advantage of a scope like that. Most people compare them right at dark when their eyes aren't adjusted and say they can't see any difference, wait an hour in the dark then try it, you'll see a difference. If you just want to shoot to the end of legal shooting hours then most scopes today will handle that fine, but if you want to hunt at night then those top quality 56mm scopes stand out. They've got to have some light though, if it's pitch black you're going to have to use thermal as mentioned.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
LOL.

No.

Once the optic exit appature exceeds the shooters pupil there is nothing to be gained as far a "brightness".

But an increase in magnification brings an increase in brightness as 10X is 10 times as bright, sort of.

Physics, it's fun.

It is not the magnification that makes the image brighter. Magnification only makes it bigger. And easier to see, given enough light.

It’s aperture dependent.

At night... Assuming your target isn’t producing it’s own light, a 50mm scope at 10x will be much brighter than a 50mm scope at 50x.
Just like 10x in a 20mm scope will be much dimmer than 10x in a 50mm scope.

Last edited by DollarShort; 11/23/22.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DollarShort
LOL.

No.

Physics, it's fun.
It is not the magnification that makes the image brighter. Magnification only makes it bigger. And easier to see, given enough light.
It’s aperture dependent.
At night... Assuming your target isn’t producing it’s own light, a 50mm scope at 10x will be much brighter than a 50mm scope at 50x.
Just like 10x in a 20mm scope will be much dimmer than 10x in a 50mm scope.

Nope.

The bigger objective brings a bigger exit aperture and better resolution.

Magnification brings image brightness.

The issue is when you eye pupil is expanded bigger than the exit aperture and this causes a feeling of darkness.

Last edited by JohnBurns; 11/23/22.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As to scopes with large objectives being too big, here’s my Carbon Mini with the Trijicon 2.5-10x56. Total weight sans sling is 7.0lbs. Is a trifle top-heavy, but not fatally. Fore ‘n aft balance is good. I don’t think it looks too big.

Before someone asks, the scope is positioned so I can get a full view at 10x, and not whack my lovely nose with the bolt.

[Linked Image]

What fresh Hell is this?
D
DrDeath Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
What size rings? Can you put scope flip up on there or is there no clearance? Almost touching the barrel?…

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
SWFA lows. Talley (I think) rail. Plenty of barrel clearance; the factory see-throughs fit fine, although I have to turn the one on the eyepiece so the bolt doesn’t hit the nubbin that holds the elastic. I’m pretty much over flip-ups so wouldn’t be an issue for me anyway. Might have ones that will fit in my box-o-crap, where they shall stay.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,649 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,992
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.