Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ltppowell
"Native Americans" ate anything they could find.

That's about the first fact in this thread

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
BP-B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I also believe there probably a wide variety of seafood on the menu… including lobster

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You ever hear of bird point arrows

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman

The European settlers also ate anything they could find. Including their own dead, when they were starving.

Thanksgiving romanticizes the "Pilgrims." The reality is that the first Thanksgiving came about because the natives taught them how to grow crops in shiity soil and how to gather food. For the first time since settlers had arrived from England, the settlers thought they weren't going to starve to death during the winter. So they celebrated.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

The European settlers also ate anything they could find. Including their own dead, when they were starving.

Thanksgiving romanticizes the "Pilgrims." The reality is that the first Thanksgiving came about because the natives taught them how to grow crops in shiity soil and how to gather food. For the first time since settlers had arrived from England, the settlers thought they weren't going to starve to death during the winter. So they celebrated.

What "crops" were the Indians growing?

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I don't think anybody in this crowd was there to verify with "pics or didn't happen". You can bet they ate birds and eggs whenever they found them. The female sex Indians harvested birds and rabbits with throwing sticks while they foraged for plants , nuts, and berries. I'll bet they ate turkey with gusto and didn't whine about it either..
Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
I’m calling BS…turkeys were plentiful and Benjamin Franklin wasn’t even born. Unless you’re referring to when it was declared a national holiday. The first thanksgiving was held in 1620 I believe.

Ummmmmm, well, errrrr, lol I guess? Ya think?

[Linked Image from media1.giphy.com]

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

I'm not your fuucking middle school teacher.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

That's a pretty darn good piece! Thanks!

:::::::::::::::: excerpted ::::::::::::::

Although many of today's Thanksgiving tables will feature a roast turkey and other traditional foods, the menu at the first Thanksgiving was probably very different. From seafood to carrots, historians report that what was eaten at the first Thanksgiving probably didn't include a lot of today's traditional favorites. The menu offers a fascinating glimpse at what life was like during the 1620s and how the celebration has changed over the years.

Historical Records About Foods at the First Thanksgiving
In a letter dated December 11, 1621, Mayflower passenger Edward Winslow offers some of the only historical information about what they ate at the first Thanksgiving. After noting that the colonists had harvested a good crop "Indian corn" and an acceptable crop of barley but lost their crop of peas to too much sun, Winslow talks about the harvest feast.

"They four in one day killed as much fowl, as with a little help beside, served the company almost a week," he wrote, of the four men the governor sent to kill fowl. He also noted that the Indigenous people who feasted with them for the three-day celebration "...went out and killed five deer, which they brought to the plantation."

While he mentions other specific foods in his letter, he does not say whether the group ate these as part of the feast. However, his notes about which foods were abundant during the season and other historical documents about the resources of the time offer some clues about foods at the first Thanksgiving.

:::::::::::::::: continued in link in ghost's post :::::::::::::::::

In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You turkeys...

Coyotes shot no waiting.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Well?

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Well?

Not bad odds there were "Indian corn" (not sweet corn, but that used for drying and parching) , squash of some sort, perhaps beans and sunflowers.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by scrooster

That's a pretty darn good piece! Thanks!

:::::::::::::::: excerpted ::::::::::::::

Although many of today's Thanksgiving tables will feature a roast turkey and other traditional foods, the menu at the first Thanksgiving was probably very different. From seafood to carrots, historians report that what was eaten at the first Thanksgiving probably didn't include a lot of today's traditional favorites. The menu offers a fascinating glimpse at what life was like during the 1620s and how the celebration has changed over the years.

Historical Records About Foods at the First Thanksgiving
In a letter dated December 11, 1621, Mayflower passenger Edward Winslow offers some of the only historical information about what they ate at the first Thanksgiving. After noting that the colonists had harvested a good crop "Indian corn" and an acceptable crop of barley but lost their crop of peas to too much sun, Winslow talks about the harvest feast.

"They four in one day killed as much fowl, as with a little help beside, served the company almost a week," he wrote, of the four men the governor sent to kill fowl. He also noted that the Indigenous people who feasted with them for the three-day celebration "...went out and killed five deer, which they brought to the plantation."

While he mentions other specific foods in his letter, he does not say whether the group ate these as part of the feast. However, his notes about which foods were abundant during the season and other historical documents about the resources of the time offer some clues about foods at the first Thanksgiving.

:::::::::::::::: continued in link in ghost's post :::::::::::::::::

Ummmm, sounds like I was correct.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

Ummmmmmmmmmm goddammit .... wtf. I didn't "hear" anything. I read it.

This forum is fast turning into a [bleep] [bleep] site.

Wtf

Yeah, #4 was probably more correct. I asked the question based-upon a Stewart Varney question asked on Fox Business but I left-it open for discussion and debate and man stuff conversation.

Phuq me .... this turned into a bitch fest.

I swear to God (emphasis mine and for effect) ... I''m getting tired of a lot of petty little bitches around here.

Drink more goddamm bourbon or something ... or fap more .... or whatever. [bleep]!!!!

From here on out I am not .... "ummmmm" nevermind. [bleep] it.

I guess I was raised in a different era by different patriarchs.

I'm actually surprised no one complained that there was no trouser trout or tube steak on the original menu.

[bleep] everybody up the ass. I'm so tired of thin-skinned bitch ass cucks.

It's [bleep] Thanksgiving. I murdered mine own [bleep] bird and ham.

I'm about to murder some patooty ... she went to bed knowing it was going to happen, she didn't say-so but she wants it to happen. Some of you bitches reading this have no clue. [bleep] you.

Good night. It was an innocent Thanksgiving thread.

[bleep] me ... this pussy-assed world has gone to [bleep]. Everyone has to be "correct."

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Wtf

Yeah, #4 was probably more correct. I asked the question based-upon a Stewart Varney question asked on Fox Business but I left-it open for discussion and debate and man stuff conversation.

I swear to God (emphasis mine and for effect) ... I''m getting tired of a lot of petty little bitches around here.

Drink more goddamm bourbon or something ... or fap more .... or whatever. [bleep]!!!!

I'm actually surprised no one complained that there was no trouser trout or tube steak on the original menu.

I'm about to murder some patooty ... she went to bed knowing it was going to happen, she didn't say-so but she wants it to happen. Some of you bitches reading this have no clue. [bleep] you.

[bleep] me ... this pussy-assed world has gone to [bleep]. Everyone has to be "correct."

You gonna read this in the morning and feel even better about it!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by stevelyn
What was?

1 - Venison
2 - Goose
3 - Duck
4 - All of the above

Turkey was supposed-to-be the national bird had Ben Franklin had his way.

Native Americans considered Wild Turkey a sacred bird and harbinger of good fortune.

Some still do but most can't afford it in the volumes they drink, so they go with R&R or some other cheap lighter fluidesque Canadian rotgut instead.

Hahaha! True.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Wtf

I hope she makes it. He sounds angry.

Yup.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Wtf

😂😂😂😂😂😂

Bet he doesn’t even know how to fix a turkey for t’givings dinner…

#gobblegobble

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
93 members (257robertsimp, 99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 16 invisible), 1,681 guests, and 649 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,741
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.