Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by BeardedGunsmith
Sounds like we are in the same boat. I have 2 spring pistons, one in 17 and the other in 22. I bought a Benjamin Trail NP XL in 22 that I haven't been able to get any accuracy out of but I'm hoping it just needs to break in and settle. Then I've also been watching the YouTube channel of the guy in Africa and Ted's Holdover. They got me wanting to try the world of pcp rifles but I sure couldn't justify the FX guns they're using so I bought an Umarex Gauntlet in 25 and am thoroughly pleased with its accuracy. It even likes slugs also. I learned real quick that an electric pump was in order after feeling like I'd die of a heart attack using the bike pump looking thing. I would like to buy one of the FX rifles someday but I'm enjoying making parts and mods to my Gauntlet by using my gunsmithing and machining skills to see if I can push the envelope. These things really are addicting.
I bought a used NP 22 with the long baffle tube on it that was clipping the pellet and throwing off the accuracy.

I unscrewed the baffle thing from the barrel and it shot a lot better.

Still doesn’t hang with my Blackhawk Elite 177 at long range, likely due to the more loopy trajectory. But the NP 22 is a hammer at shorter ranges.

Last edited by DollarShort; 11/20/22.
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I shot springers a lot when I was younger but I have a hard time with them now. This fall I got another PCP, a .22 caliber Weihrauch HW100S and I have really enjoyed shooting it. Accuracy is excellent and it has been deadly on squirrels shooting the 18 grain JSB Heavies. Quiet, light trigger, accurate and easy to shoot are characteristics of good PCPs from several different makers. And JSB make some great pellets. H&N does too but I seem to have better luck out of the JSB recently.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The guy that cuts my hair introduced me to pcp airguns. He keeps offering me his FX at a super price and I do want to try the 30 cal dedicated thing. He gave me a complete 600 MM 22 cal barrel and a Chinese compressor that has not failed me yet. Tops off my little 90 cubic inch carbon fiber tank and the 60 cubic foot carbon fiber tank.

Gotta have a bipod and a tripod and ball head. For barn shooting rats a mono pod works quite well, the Sightmark Wraith set up gets heavy fast as your constantly moving and looking up ,rats run on the walls top plate . Want to try hunting Nutria in the Delta here in Ca. at some point.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you're looking for a tripod, these things are the bomb.

https://www.amazon.com/BOG-DeathGrip-Lightweight-Adjustable-Hands-Free/dp/B07KMPCVMH?th=1

Great if you're using a fixed shooting position, a little cumbersome in the field - as in very cumbersome.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
How do you find the gun for shooting left handed? Is the cocking lever moveable?
The information on the fx impact being ambi is pretty hard to find a confirmation on.
Thanks

IC B2

450BM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Disclaimer first. This is my first .25 caliber and it’s an FX Impact M3 700mm barrel. Before this and for 52 years I’ve only shot .177 air rifles, 2 springers and a pcp. So I’m not familiar with this kind of accuracy in an air rifle. I have a Kimber (of NY) 22 rimfire that will shoot like this but never saw it in an air gun.

It’s 21 degrees outside and dark. I’m shooting from inside my wood shop, heated to about 60, out the window. 30 yards to the target, I have an LED flashlight illuminating the target.

First, what I’m used too… All 5 shot groups except where noted.

FWB 124 JSB Exact Heavy 10.34gr .81”
Crossman Premier 8gr 1.33”
Benjamin Discover 10.3gr .98”

Benjamin Marauder JSB Exact Heavy 10.34gr .84” (one flyer) and .38”
Crossman Premier 8gr 1.88” (this is too light for this gun and not that accurate in the FWB either)
Benjamin Discover 10.3gr 1.17” (10 shot group)

The FWB 124 did well and outshot the Mrod with the JSB (one group) and the Benjamin Discover. I was pleasantly surprised by the old boy! I had one other pellet I should have tried in it. A Beeman HP that I think weighs 7gr. Next time…

Now comes the fun part, the Impact… Shooting the FX 25.39gr pellet. Not sure of the velocity now. I chronied it at 905fps with the wheel set at 16 but found earlier today this pellet grouped much better with it at 8.

From 1st group to last:
.037”
.25”
.10”
.16” 8 shots

Average group size: .1094

This is crazy, insane accuracy and I know it’s not even as good as others have shot. It’s amazing watching them go into the same hole, over and over.

What is even crazier is the FX 33.95gr pellet, with the wheel on 16 and cronied at 835 fps is about 50% more accurate than this pellet! I may have to test some more to see if I can make the lighter pellet even better. Loving this gun!!!!

450BM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Dan_H
How do you find the gun for shooting left handed? Is the cocking lever moveable?
The information on the fx impact being ambi is pretty hard to find a confirmation on.
Thanks

The cockling lever is movable. I just switched it to left hand yesterday and then put about 100 pellets through it. Honestly, I didn’t like it and am going to move it back to the right side. I’m use to shooting right handed bolt guns, been doing it for about 45 years so this is my first left handed “bolt” gun. Also, with the AR style grip, there is a lot of hand movement getting off the trigger and grip and then getting the hand back in position on the grip. With it on the right side, shooting from a bench, I can keep my left hand on the grip and trigger and also keep my right hand on the action handle. It’s much faster and more comfortable. When shooting not on a bench, the left hand on the grip is firm/substantial enough to hold the gun in place and work the action with my right hand.

That and I kept reaching for the bolt with my right hand and finding nothing making it kind of a frustrating shooting session.

Note on the magazine which looks like it will be in the way shooting the gun left handed. It is not, at least for me. My shooting style is to “lean” forward into the scope so the mag ends up behind my chin. I was concerned about this too before I bought the FX and it is not a bother at all.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Thank you for the review.
Now to decide between FX and RAW 1000....decisions decisions

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds like a great rifle that you got. FX has a rep for accuracy. I debated back and forth for weeks between getting an HW100S Weihrauch or a FX Dreamline Classic as I wanted a classicly styled rifle with a walnut stock. Nobody had the FX in stock so I got the HW and love it. It's a 22 caliber and the 18 gr JSB pellets are most accurate. Love shooting PCPs, quiet accuracy is fun! That .25 should be a superb squirrel smacker.

450BM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Dan_H
Thank you for the review.
Now to decide between FX and RAW 1000....decisions decisions

Glad to help! Good luck with you decision. Flip a coin and then buy the gun you hoped it landed on!

IC B3

450BM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Phillip_Nesmith
Sounds like a great rifle that you got. FX has a rep for accuracy. I debated back and forth for weeks between getting an HW100S Weihrauch or a FX Dreamline Classic as I wanted a classicly styled rifle with a walnut stock. Nobody had the FX in stock so I got the HW and love it. It's a 22 caliber and the 18 gr JSB pellets are most accurate. Love shooting PCPs, quiet accuracy is fun! That .25 should be a superb squirrel smacker.

I understand your desire for a classic looking rifle with a walnut stock. There’s a lot to be said about shooting a gun like that, they just feel right. That’s how I feel about my Kimber HS 22, still my favorite gun of all I have.

I can’t imagine anyone not liking a PCP unless they got a lemon as their first and only. I liked shooting the MRod when I got it but it kind of wore off because I only had a manual pump. Bought an electric pump when I got the FX and I know that greatly adds to my enthusiasm and pleasure. But the pure joy of shooting one, especially when they are insanely accurate is hard to describe to someone who hasn’t experienced it.

K
K
My good friend has been preaching about the joys of pcp airguns and finally the beginning of this year I bought a Wildcat MarkII in 25 caliber that had been massaged and tweaked a bit to the tune of 61ft lbs of energy with JSB 33.95 at 900 fps. Accuracy is amazing and at the same time boring after the 3rd shot because it just stacks them.

I know you weren't going down the slug rabbit hole, but I tried a few. Nelson 29.5 grain was the ticket for me, but this gun shoots almost anything I feed it well, including Hades and knockout slugs.

While the gun is more expensive than most of my powder burners, it's nice to send a few pennies down range instead of a few quarters with each pull of the trigger. I have a clear shooting path of 20 yards inside my house and use an old 22 rimfire pellet trap that I added some tar based sound deadening material to the outside to help with the "klang". A Huggett Snipe moderator cuts the Wildcat noise down to almost nothing and the ring from the pellet trap is minimal and insures that i can shoot whenever I want.

Oh and then a few months later I bought an older daystate air wolf in 22 caliber and the accuracy is again incredible, if one is good two is better!

450BM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by KeithV35
My good friend has been preaching about the joys of pcp airguns and finally the beginning of this year I bought a Wildcat MarkII in 25 caliber that had been massaged and tweaked a bit to the tune of 61ft lbs of energy with JSB 33.95 at 900 fps. Accuracy is amazing and at the same time boring after the 3rd shot because it just stacks them.

I know you weren't going down the slug rabbit hole, but I tried a few. Nelson 29.5 grain was the ticket for me, but this gun shoots almost anything I feed it well, including Hades and knockout slugs.

While the gun is more expensive than most of my powder burners, it's nice to send a few pennies down range instead of a few quarters with each pull of the trigger. I have a clear shooting path of 20 yards inside my house and use an old 22 rimfire pellet trap that I added some tar based sound deadening material to the outside to help with the "klang". A Huggett Snipe moderator cuts the Wildcat noise down to almost nothing and the ring from the pellet trap is minimal and insures that i can shoot whenever I want.

Oh and then a few months later I bought an older daystate air wolf in 22 caliber and the accuracy is again incredible, if one is good two is better!

Do you know what liner is in the FX? I don’t intend to go down the slug hole but I’m not going to say I’ll never do it…

I’m with you on the cost per shot. I’m still shooting powder burners really cheap with my own cast bullets, primers I paid 2 cents each for and light charges of pistol powder. But, a lot more time casting bullets and reloading (which I really enjoy) and then having to travel 15 minutes to my shooting range. The air guns I shoot in my back yard and the cheaper FX pellets I’m using are 6-7 cents each. Can’t buy a primer for that these days. Bullets start around 20 cents each for 22 caliber cheap ones and I don’t even want to talk about 30 caliber Sierras or the cost of rifle powder…

I’m envious of your indoor range. When we built our house, the basement was unfinished, free of obstructions and 90 feet long. I did shoot in it. Now it’s finished living space, still about 65 feet long that I could shoot but my wife has a fit! So shooting from my wood-shop is a good option, it’s 80 yards long but I have to deal with the wind and darkness. Still better than 30 minutes on the road and dealing with cold and or rain and the darkness!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You can shoot any of the FX Hybrid slugs with no problem and other brand mid weights too. You do need to rotate your barrel 180 degrees to align the larger transfer port in position. Then its all about tuning .

The M3 has a Superior liner and most like to go to the Superior Heavy liner if only heavy slugs are to be used. Lots of YouTube videos available to help.

Last edited by sidepass; 11/23/22.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
K
K
[/quote]Do you know what liner is in the FX? I don’t intend to go down the slug hole but I’m not going to say I’ll never do it…[/quote]

450BM Mine has the superior standard liner, not the heavy slug barrel. If you can drive the 33.95 grains at 900 fps, I'd bet the 29.5 grain slugs would be accurate. Shooting the slugs reminds me of shooting wadcutters out of a revolver, nice clean cut holes.

Pm me your address and I'll drop some in the mail for you to try, no sense buying a box if they won't shoot.

Now I'm jealous of your 80 yard range! At my buddy's house we have 35 and 50 yards set up. Not sure how many palm trees you have in PA, but a palm tree sliced like salami abut 10 inches thick and then sawed flat on the bottom makes a heck of pellet stop, quiet and effective. Just a tip.

Keith

450BM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by sidepass
You can shoot any of the FX Hybrid slugs with no problem and other brand mid weights too. You do need to rotate your barrel 180 degrees to align the larger transfer port in position. Then its all about tuning .

The M3 has a Superior liner and most like to go to the Superior Heavy liner if only heavy slugs are to be used. Lots of YouTube videos available to help.

Dang it, you guys are going to talk me into slugs and I just got 10 tins of pellets and have another 10 on the way… I guess the new barrels on the M3’s are designed to shoot both with the dual ports on the barrel. I’m just thrilled with pellets right now so it will be harder to impress me. And I kind of think I need a 22 barrel and set that up for slugs.

450BM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by KeithV35
[/quote]Do you know what liner is in the FX? I don’t intend to go down the slug hole but I’m not going to say I’ll never do it…

450BM Mine has the superior standard liner, not the heavy slug barrel. If you can drive the 33.95 grains at 900 fps, I'd bet the 29.5 grain slugs would be accurate. Shooting the slugs reminds me of shooting wadcutters out of a revolver, nice clean cut holes.

Pm me your address and I'll drop some in the mail for you to try, no sense buying a box if they won't shoot.

Now I'm jealous of your 80 yard range! At my buddy's house we have 35 and 50 yards set up. Not sure how many palm trees you have in PA, but a palm tree sliced like salami abut 10 inches thick and then sawed flat on the bottom makes a heck of pellet stop, quiet and effective. Just a tip.

Keith[/quote]

I’m sure I can get the 34’s to 900 fps but I’m really enjoying the high shot count so I don’t know if I want to. There is a guy on airgunnation that casts his own slugs. That really piques my interest because I cast for a lot of stuff now and that would be an easy direction to go.

I appreciate the offer on the slugs but I should pass. The thing is, I’m afraid they WILL shoot well and then I’ll have to buy a bunch and tell my wife how much I need them, how good they’ll shoot and well, you know…

My rifle range I can shoot up to 500 yards but, I don’t have a roof over my bench so I can only shoot in good weather. But yeah, the 80 yard range is a pretty nice setup!

Palm trees in Pennsylvania? Nope, way too cold here. We do have a lot of pine trees though and that is what I use for my 50 and 100 yard bullet “trap” at my powder burning range. Lead is getting hard to find and this is how I recycle it. I need to bring a couple of chunks home to capture pellets. I’d have the perfect lead to cast slugs with someday.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
$lugs are expensive! If pellets serve your needs I wouldn't get involved with them, the cost per shot gets out of hand quickly.

450BM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Phillip_Nesmith
$lugs are expensive! If pellets serve your needs I wouldn't get involved with them, the cost per shot gets out of hand quickly.

Yes they are! 25 cal FX brand pellets about 6 cents each, slugs are 16 cents. I’d have to invest about $120 to mold them but there’s no guarantee they will shoot well in my gun so I’m avoiding that for now too. I have about 7000 pellets on hand so I have plenty of shooting to do…

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I suggest that you get a PCP rifle in 22mag with a moderator built into the barrel. You wand to be able to adjust the power to keep it quieter. Also, being able to have a number of shots in a magazine is convenient.

PCP guns are noisier than 22lr so the moderator is important.

You also could shoot 22 subsonic rounds in a bolt action long barrel rifle and be real quiet.

[Linked Image from ]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
702 members (12344mag, 1234, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 3,131 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,744
Posts18,401,246
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.