Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by wink_man
Thinking of Mudhen (Ben Brown) tonight as I go through some of my stuff and getting together the brass I got from him that I'll work up a load for this spring.

Miss the avatar, miss his posts and the knowledge to be gleaned from him. it was always a pleasure reading his posts.

He was indeed a gentleman and all around great guy.

Rest in peace Sir with the rest of the good guys that have left way to soon.

Got to see and spend time with Ben at our last campfire get together about 6 weeks or so before he passed. He looked frail, and his daughter let me know his time was short. I had a talk with Ben, and sort told him how much I always had a lot of respect for him, how much I appreciated his time, his wisdom, and how I looked at him as a beacon of light. He told me he never knew that, and had tears in his eyes as he took my hand and said thank you.

Those of us who knew Ben, were blessed to know such a humble but great man...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just got through looking at this whole list, and there were lots of names that I missed when they were added. Lots of good friends on this list that I have shared campfires and time talking with in person, and lots of names that I only talked to here, but they were still good friends. I will add a name this I did not see, but might have missed.

Leonard Barr-can't remember his internet name offhand but it might have been Labarr. Shared several campfires with Him and His Brother Patrick. He was a good man that I will miss talking to. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by wink_man
Thinking of Mudhen (Ben Brown) tonight as I go through some of my stuff and getting together the brass I got from him that I'll work up a load for this spring.

Miss the avatar, miss his posts and the knowledge to be gleaned from him. it was always a pleasure reading his posts.

He was indeed a gentleman and all around great guy.

Rest in peace Sir with the rest of the good guys that have left way to soon.

Got to see and spend time with Ben at our last campfire get together about 6 weeks or so before he passed. He looked frail, and his daughter let me know his time was short. I had a talk with Ben, and sort told him how much I always had a lot of respect for him, how much I appreciated his time, his wisdom, and how I looked at him as a beacon of light. He told me he never knew that, and had tears in his eyes as he took my hand and said thank you.

Those of us who knew Ben, were blessed to know such a humble but great man...

Ben was a good man. I knew of his passing and felt his loss like I felt others who brought something special to our Campfire.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Mac84
Rip Doc Encore 🙏🏻

Greg

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

What if Jessie's girl is Stacy's mom, and her phone number is 867-5309
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
I'd say the Lord's got em' hired.

They're in tall grass, on long legged horses,

....no fences

lotsa' game and fish,

Base camp is well stocked.

....May he continue to bless, and keep em'

they coulda' done worse.

GTC

I hope so cross.

IC B2

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by milespatton
Just got through looking at this whole list, and there were lots of names that I missed when they were added. Lots of good friends on this list that I have shared campfires and time talking with in person, and lots of names that I only talked to here, but they were still good friends. I will add a name this I did not see, but might have missed.

Leonard Barr-can't remember his internet name offhand but it might have been Labarr. Shared several campfires with Him and His Brother Patrick. He was a good man that I will miss talking to. miles

I had no idea Leonard passed, remember he made Cheryl and I some burgers when we got to camp last time I saw him. I'm sorry for Patrick and his family's loss.

Kent

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Jim Olson, oidabble on the forum, on the right, Jim's son from Florida died before Jim.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All;
We just received word that Boggy Creek Ranger - James C Nash passed on December 5th in a traffic accident.

Rest in peace sir.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/17916049#Post17916049

Last edited by BC30cal; 12/18/22.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Indeed, sorry to hear. He was a true gentleman and will be missed.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by milespatton

I had no idea Leonard passed, remember he made Cheryl and I some burgers when we got to camp last time I saw him. I'm sorry for Patrick and his family's loss.

Kent

Kent, Miles, thank you for posting this. My brother did not post often, but he really enjoyed the gatherings and visiting with you folks.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Bob Farese, BobinNH.

What a wonderful man. Always willing to share information, answer questions, provide comments, or just swap lies

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ilikguns
RIP doctor Encore

Greg was a stand guy. Willing to help out anybody with anything. Spent a lot of his free time passing on his hunting and fishing knowledge on to the local Boy Scouts. Our conversations always ended with him bragging about his kids and grandkids enjoying the outdoors with him. He will be missed!

Yeah, I knew about the loss of Greg. Meet him several times on my trips back home to Virginia.
That was a gut punch.... We also talked a lot about Scouts, as I am involved with them here in Oregon. and our sons.
Greg was an inspiration in a lot of ways, on a lot of topics.

RIP Greg... you will be sorely missed at my campfire my friend.

best regards... and will see ya again, if I manage to make it up there...

For some reason, wide awake at 4 AM this morning.. guess because I have one hell of a busy schedule over the next 72 hours. Just the last three pages, I have re seen names of folks I have known and interacted with over a long time here on the fire...

Just reading of Greg, Doc Encore.. Just a little example of some of the people I have known here is exemplified with Greg as an example and representative of the type of people I've known on the campfire.

Back in 2010, My son wanted to attend the 100th Anniversary of Boy Scouts National Camporee. Our council here in Oregon the price for that to attend, was about $3500. My son didn't want us to pay for that, but knew at 16 he could never come up with the money. So I bought up the suggestion about why not apply to go as Camp Staff, and suggested the rifle range.
He applied and was shocked when he was accepted. I think the cost was $400.00 and he had to pay his ticket there and back. Mom and Dad took care of that.

The cheapest ticket we could get was to fly him out of Seattle to Baltimore. He was to fly out at 10 PM, and it is a 500 mile one way trip from home to Seattle... So I drove him up there... We got stuck in Portland for 3 plus hours in traffic at the end of day rush hour. Then get him to the SeaTac Airport...The lines to get your ticket and then getting thru air port security, was slower than mud, and no one on staff at the Airport really gave a crap... I stayed with my son until he got thru Airport Security. I left him at 11 PM. to head 500 miles home.

I had stopped at a Rest Area on took a nap. I got a call from him and he had been bumped off his flight because they had over booked it. He is busy freaking out, as this is a totally new experience for him and he's alone not knowing what to do..
I have no way of to contact family back in Virginia that had promise to pick him up at the airport and then drive him down to Camp A.P. Hill in Virginia, near where they live.

Greg and I had never met, but I had his number and he told me to call him when ever I might need his help on ANYTHING.
Well I was up "[bleep] without a paddle" and had a freaked out son 100 miles away at SeaTac over night. They had told him they would get him on the next flight out. I called Greg at 4 AM east coast time, and surprised he even answered his phone. I told him my situation. He instantly told me he would pick him up in Baltimore and get him the 75 miles down to Camp A.P. Hill To call my son and give him Greg's number and Greg would meet him at the gate the flight number was scheduled to be at.

I called my son back at told him I had arranged someone to pick him up, when ever he got in to Baltimore Airport. Gave him Greg's number. My son was bumped off the next FOUR overbooked flights. When he finally got airborne, I called Greg back and gave him the flight info. He drove 60 miles to pick up my son, then took him down to my relatives home in Virginia, as the camp was not yet open for the Jamboree...

When it was time for my son to fly home, my relatives called me and told me they had some sort of emergency and couldn't take Jonathan back to Baltimore Airport for him to fly home....my own darn family.... I called Greg and told him of the situation this time.... The Gentlemen tells me he is glad I called him. He went down and picked up my son, brought him to his home and then took him to the Airport in Baltimore for his flight home....

I use this as an example to not only show what a gentleman Greg was... We had never met at that point, but we had conversed over PMs for several years... Scouting involvement as a common basis...But Greg is a perfect example of the quality of folks I have met and gotten to know on the campfire over the 19 years I've been on this web site.

it was a blessing to know the many folks, who are the types shown exactly like Greg's example... as I read the names on this entire thread of folks who have passed before us. Even if they were someone I didn't know, I am sure they are an example of the folks I have been blessed with to be able to know...

Plenty of arguments and slander on these threads any more at the campfire is typical. But when push comes to shove and a member is in need of help, there is never a shortage of someone willing to help out with no limits. Even times like this.

To Greg and ALL the campfire members I've been blessed to know and meet in my travels and time here, each of us are truly blessed to have the bonds we develop here, with despite all their faults, are the best folks many of us have ever known.

to the folks who I have known who are no longer here, and to those that are still with us. I thank each of you for your friendship, and the blessings of having known all I have ever met....

Cheers and God Bless...
john chr. / seafire.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great post John.

We can only hope the future will have new generations with the qualities of many fine folks here. Our country was built by folks who had these character traits.

Sad to see the loss of many fine long term members.

I am sure they are in a better place. God Bless.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I was just going through my contacs and saw "Doc Encore" and thought I hadnt talked to Greg in a while. Im deeply saddened by this news. Before 7X57Steve passed 6-7 of us met for lunch on Sundays at Barley and Hopps. Greg made several of those lunches. RIP old buddy.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

THOMASMAGNUM - Birthday was today. Sure miss him.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Owl, Me to----Rio7

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ilikguns
RIP doctor Encore

Greg was a stand guy. Willing to help out anybody with anything. Spent a lot of his free time passing on his hunting and fishing knowledge on to the local Boy Scouts. Our conversations always ended with him bragging about his kids and grandkids enjoying the outdoors with him. He will be missed!

Yeah, I knew about the loss of Greg. Meet him several times on my trips back home to Virginia.
That was a gut punch.... We also talked a lot about Scouts, as I am involved with them here in Oregon. and our sons.
Greg was an inspiration in a lot of ways, on a lot of topics.

RIP Greg... you will be sorely missed at my campfire my friend.

best regards... and will see ya again, if I manage to make it up there...

For some reason, wide awake at 4 AM this morning.. guess because I have one hell of a busy schedule over the next 72 hours. Just the last three pages, I have re seen names of folks I have known and interacted with over a long time here on the fire...

Just reading of Greg, Doc Encore.. Just a little example of some of the people I have known here is exemplified with Greg as an example and representative of the type of people I've known on the campfire.

Back in 2010, My son wanted to attend the 100th Anniversary of Boy Scouts National Camporee. Our council here in Oregon the price for that to attend, was about $3500. My son didn't want us to pay for that, but knew at 16 he could never come up with the money. So I bought up the suggestion about why not apply to go as Camp Staff, and suggested the rifle range.
He applied and was shocked when he was accepted. I think the cost was $400.00 and he had to pay his ticket there and back. Mom and Dad took care of that.

The cheapest ticket we could get was to fly him out of Seattle to Baltimore. He was to fly out at 10 PM, and it is a 500 mile one way trip from home to Seattle... So I drove him up there... We got stuck in Portland for 3 plus hours in traffic at the end of day rush hour. Then get him to the SeaTac Airport...The lines to get your ticket and then getting thru air port security, was slower than mud, and no one on staff at the Airport really gave a crap... I stayed with my son until he got thru Airport Security. I left him at 11 PM. to head 500 miles home.

I had stopped at a Rest Area on took a nap. I got a call from him and he had been bumped off his flight because they had over booked it. He is busy freaking out, as this is a totally new experience for him and he's alone not knowing what to do..
I have no way of to contact family back in Virginia that had promise to pick him up at the airport and then drive him down to Camp A.P. Hill in Virginia, near where they live.

Greg and I had never met, but I had his number and he told me to call him when ever I might need his help on ANYTHING.
Well I was up "[bleep] without a paddle" and had a freaked out son 100 miles away at SeaTac over night. They had told him they would get him on the next flight out. I called Greg at 4 AM east coast time, and surprised he even answered his phone. I told him my situation. He instantly told me he would pick him up in Baltimore and get him the 75 miles down to Camp A.P. Hill To call my son and give him Greg's number and Greg would meet him at the gate the flight number was scheduled to be at.

I called my son back at told him I had arranged someone to pick him up, when ever he got in to Baltimore Airport. Gave him Greg's number. My son was bumped off the next FOUR overbooked flights. When he finally got airborne, I called Greg back and gave him the flight info. He drove 60 miles to pick up my son, then took him down to my relatives home in Virginia, as the camp was not yet open for the Jamboree...

When it was time for my son to fly home, my relatives called me and told me they had some sort of emergency and couldn't take Jonathan back to Baltimore Airport for him to fly home....my own darn family.... I called Greg and told him of the situation this time.... The Gentlemen tells me he is glad I called him. He went down and picked up my son, brought him to his home and then took him to the Airport in Baltimore for his flight home....

I use this as an example to not only show what a gentleman Greg was... We had never met at that point, but we had conversed over PMs for several years... Scouting involvement as a common basis...But Greg is a perfect example of the quality of folks I have met and gotten to know on the campfire over the 19 years I've been on this web site.

it was a blessing to know the many folks, who are the types shown exactly like Greg's example... as I read the names on this entire thread of folks who have passed before us. Even if they were someone I didn't know, I am sure they are an example of the folks I have been blessed with to be able to know...

Plenty of arguments and slander on these threads any more at the campfire is typical. But when push comes to shove and a member is in need of help, there is never a shortage of someone willing to help out with no limits. Even times like this.

To Greg and ALL the campfire members I've been blessed to know and meet in my travels and time here, each of us are truly blessed to have the bonds we develop here, with despite all their faults, are the best folks many of us have ever known.

to the folks who I have known who are no longer here, and to those that are still with us. I thank each of you for your friendship, and the blessings of having known all I have ever met....

Cheers and God Bless...
john chr. / seafire.

Wow, Greg was a real stand-up Gentleman. RIP, Sir.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I haven't been on here in a long time and am saddened by these announcements. I talked to all of these guys. I do miss Ben and Thomas as I knew them well.
RIP Brothers

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This year has been a turn onto reality lane. Mugs Tyler from AK and then moved to AZ passed, a great cast bullet competition shooter and Chuck Bebout, the four time Florida four gun aggregate champion passed. Chuck was a victim of water contamination on a military base and Mugs had a long term illness, we shot in many matches together, about a dozen International Championships. You would look around and there they were, best bring your lunch, they came to shoot, great guys for info and help.

Never stop, never quit.
Robert Rodgers
Rodgers Rangers

There is a remedy for all things, save death.
Manuel Cervantes
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The Campfire is a place I have made a lot of friends, I would have otherwise never met. Been here since 2004.

There are a lot of those friends who have passed and gone before us.

I've been blessed with EVERY Campfire member I have had the pleasure to know...

Eventually it is each every one of our turns to take our place climbing the stairs to heaven and the beyond.

Hopefully it is where we will meet our friends once again... Something to look forward to I gather...

Glad they are not here to witness what the DNCC is turning this nation into....as our freedoms ( blessings from our creator) are slow erased one by one...

I'm glad to be closer to the finish line, that it being far into my future.

God Bless the USA we've all known most of our lives.... how long will it still be here?

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
89 members (10gaugemag, 99Ozarks, 257robertsimp, akshooting, 15 invisible), 1,653 guests, and 745 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,756
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.