Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Lost my Dad in June. Have been saying for a few weeks I was gonna take his trusty 760 06 out the first day of Pa gun season and shoot the first legal deer I saw the retire it till my boys are old enough. Took his rifle out last Sunday to check zero, my eyes got dang dusty just shooting it.... But for some reason, I have little desire to go out hunting now. Who knows what the next few days will bring, my mind has been all over the place.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
BP-B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Yup, it seems silly to go through the motions.
But eventually, things should get back to normal.
May take a yr or two, or three.
Am past 1 yr here and still in a bit of a funk.
And my dad never deer hunted, but he got me into hunting/shooting.

Last edited by hookeye; 11/22/22.
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Lots of good things happen outdoors. Maybe even some healing. Grab the musket and go. Relive some memories and make some new ones. Sorry to hear about your dad.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Your Ol man wants you to hunt!! Get your azz out there and get to killin!!👊🏻

Smile like a cat eatin shiit the whole time remembering past hunts!

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
You have to go out or else he has no one to push the buck to.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Lucky you to have had a father that makes you feel that way. Such a man would want you to go and do what you enjoy. My motto has become, “If not now, when?”, because you never know what’s in store. We all die, and stuff happens. You may never have another opportunity yourself, so at least go out and sit a bit and think it over out there. Doesn’t have to be a major effort, just a few hours of quiet time in the woods.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When you go he will be hunting with you. In spirit and in your hands. It’s healthy to morn. Like old Fred and Ted said it cleanses the soul!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WMR
Lots of good things happen outdoors. Maybe even some healing. Grab the musket and go. Relive some memories and make some new ones. Sorry to hear about your dad.

This

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm sorry for your loss.

Like others have said, get out in the woods. If it's not the right time to take Dad's rifle then you'll know it, but get out there.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
The 1st firearm season without my dad, I hunted his blind, shot a huge doe! At 1st light. Just sat and reflected, on past hunts with dad and grandad, him gone 12 years before dad.all the old guys I grew up hunting with were now gone! Hell I was the old guy now. Found one of dad's 260 shells in the blind, kept it! Last time I got to hunt the place. Didn't hunt the rest of the season, didn't have it in me. But buy next fall I hunted new place with some younger friends. Still have my best friend, he's 76 now, only got the bow hunt one evening and spent the night at his camp. He couldn't make the rifle opener, but wanted me to still hunt there, took a nice 8pt. But wasn't the same without my buddy there. Not sure what I'll do when he's gone. Happy Hunting

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My hunting buddy was my son. I cried my eyes out in the stand 5 months later after his death. It was absolutely gut wrenching but I made myself do it as hunting was my what I loved to do. It gets easier but it's never the same. For my own healing, I found it in myself to help someone get into hunting that had never hunted. This is my cousin and we have had some good times together. He's helped me a lot and I hope I've introduced something to him that he has a passion for. I'm sorry for the loss of your Dad. He's there with you...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Chumleyhunts
Lost my Dad in June. Have been saying for a few weeks I was gonna take his trusty 760 06 out the first day of Pa gun season and shoot the first legal deer I saw the retire it till my boys are old enough. Took his rifle out last Sunday to check zero, my eyes got dang dusty just shooting it.... But for some reason, I have little desire to go out hunting now. Who knows what the next few days will bring, my mind has been all over the place.

Go easy on yourself amigo. Oftentimes hunting is like exercise - getting up early to do it isn't always the easiest but there's rarely regret after the fact – even with a heavy heart.

Go share a hunt with pops again, you might find it therapeutic.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Sincerest condolences to you Chumleyhunts!

I agree with others here, get out there, even if only for a bit. My dad started me hunting/shooting/reloading over 50 years ago, he passed in 2020 after 2-1/2 years of hellish dementia. I have so many fond memories and funny stories of our hunts together, maybe even an argument or two... lol! Hunting brings a lot of those memories to life again!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I believe a good deer hunt would help celebrate your Dad’s life. He would certainly want you out there!!!!!

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Sorry for your loss, takes time to get past a loss. You never get over one, but you can get past it in time.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Like hanco said, "takes time to get past a loss." It might be to soon this season. Only you will know what feels right. If not now, maybe next year will be the Season you get it done with Dad's gun. I lost my Father in 2005. It takes time. For some, longer than others. Sorry for your loss. And Good Luck to you.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by WMR

Can’t say much better than that.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Losing loved ones is rough. Been three years now since my Pa passed. He grew up farming in southeastern Colorado then became a teacher. I never hunted with him , but he loved my hunting stories and loved the venison I butchered. I hunt and fish in his honor, I sit in his favorite swing under the porch at the barn and drink a beer. I do my best to remain faithful to my Savior as he was. Honor him by doing the best you can! Hang tough!

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
My Dad died a week before last year's Pa. opener. I took his 99. I managed to sneak up on 3 bedded does while carrying it. I can't recall Dad ever shooting a doe so I left them go and snuck away. They never knew I was there. I definitely count that as a 'win'. I also grabbed a couple of pictures in the snow covered woods with his rifle leaning against a tree.

Just a couple of memories that I will have forever. Take your Dad's rifle and make some memories.

Dale

This space for rent

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree with Judman. I’m betting your Dad wants you to go out with his rifle and hunt. I lost my Dad 3 days before Christmas in 2011. That was tough, but life does go on. We had a modest Christmas, celebrated his life, and continued to live. The next year in hunting season was also tough, but the next to the last day of that season I shot the 3rd biggest buck I’ve ever got, on a day I should have never been in the woods. Freezing rain, sleet, snow, and windy. Why was I even out there that day? Dad! He always said “ya can’t get em if ya ain’t out there lookin for em”. Trust me, it’s cool to hunt with a little “dust in your eyes”. 😎

Doc_Holidude

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
464 members (1Longbow, 160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 48 invisible), 2,036 guests, and 968 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,143
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.