Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I could not find a topic header to list the question, so I'll post here. Have any tried Ostermayer Jagd Gun Stock Finish, If so, what are your opinions?
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Romans 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Tung oil

Gun Owners of America
Escapee's RV Club
Elks
Moose
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Traveler52
Tung oil

This Ostermayer Jagd supercedes tung oil by a mile. I'm looking for any who have tried the product as I have and seeking their opinions.

Romans 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I like their Weiner wagon and baloney......

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by huntsman22

* Based upon your assertions, what evidence do you have?

Ingredients:

Mixture of the highest quality oils
Without dye
Without silicones, fats and petroleum products
Contains high quality lignin and protective terpenes

Last edited by Synoptic; 11/23/22.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There’s a warning on the label about the possibility of spontaneous combustion of the rags you use. Believe it, I’ve seen it with other oil finishes.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'd love to have some Ostermayer gun oil,
That is what I'd truly like to see,
'Cause if I had some Ostermayer gun oil,
All my guns would be in love with me!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Synoptic
Tung oil

This Ostermayer Jagd supercedes tung oil by a mile. I'm looking for any who have tried the product as I have and seeking their opinions.

Please share your experience with it.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by huntsman22

You think he missed it? 😁

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Whoooshhh......

Last edited by huntsman22; 11/23/22.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Poor synoptic, it'll be WEEKS before he gets that Oscar Mayer jingle outta his head......

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Pappy348
There’s a warning on the label about the possibility of spontaneous combustion of the rags you use. Believe it, I’ve seen it with other oil finishes.

Not at all uncommon with any oil finish.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Upon purchasing Ostermayer JAGD Gun Stock Finish through Amazon, there were no directions given and/or to follow. The first coat was applied and wiped down within four hours. I could not determine any significant difference. Upon applying the second coat, I allowed the Ostermayer JAGD Oil to sit for seven (7) days.

I decided at that point to rub or polish the AAA French Walnut on a “New” Winchester Super Grade chambered in a .308 caliber. Prior to polishing, I touched the surface with my finger and moved it slightly across the wood. I found the oil to be somewhat tacky (gummy). As I proceeded to polish, I noticed the process of polishing was very difficult: leaving smudge marks with immaterial staining. Again, it was more than a task to polish the French walnut. I will state that the finish on the gunstock was a matte or satin finish (Original): ‘Right from Winchester’. My intentions were to bring out more of the grain, trying to enhance the French walnut to a sheen. Any oil will bring out the grain, so this facet was irrelevant. I did not really care for the properties contained within the aforesaid product. In applying, if one applies the Ostermayer JAGD Gun Stock Finish and wipes it down within three to four hours, there is no issue with the above. However, I made mention in my initial synopsis, I found the Ostermayer JAGD Gun Stock Finish/Oil to be slightly tacky. Actually, that should have been a signal as to how the product may perform. I dislike tacky or pasty oils to apply on firearms, especially collectible items. Some may not pay attention to such facts, yet they are imperative in keeping expensive wood in its ‘original’ condition.

Actually, I exchanged the product due to the exterior of the can having two dents (dings) with intentions of ordering another. However, after seeing the results after seven (7) days, I have no intention, none of ordering any more of the Ostermayer JAGD Gun stock Finish. The company refers to the Ostermayer Jagd as “Gun Stock Finish” not oil. In this respect, the terminology is somewhat vague and ambiguous as exactly what the product should be used for. Can we recommend this product? That is entirely the choice of any to try the product, ‘at their own discretion’.

* After posting this comment, Amazon dropped the price $2.00.

Last edited by Synoptic; 11/26/22.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I'm using the Howard's, have not seen anything better.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by MikeS
Originally Posted by Synoptic
Tung oil

Please share your experience with it.

See # 17842197

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds like a product for raw wood, not for previously finished sealed wood. And that Howard Feed stuff is liquified with mineral oil, a wood contaminant. Once that is in the wood good luck getting anything to adhere.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Phillip_Nesmith
Sounds like a product for raw wood, not for previously finished sealed wood. And that Howard Feed stuff is liquified with mineral oil, a wood contaminant. Once that is in the wood good luck getting anything to adhere.

That is what I thought, yet Ostermayer stated it could be used for 'finished sealed wood'. Apparently, that is not true with the test I conducted. I'm using the Howard's on "sealed finished wood (French Walnut), so the oil is staying on the surface as protection. I cannot see Howard's or any other oil as a detriment sitting on a finished wood surface.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd like to know what is in that Ostermayer product. It sounds like just a tung oil type stuff. Which can be gotten a lot cheaper.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

676 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 69 invisible), 2,988 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,481
Posts18,451,879
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.