Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
25 yds. is even better! Grin

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
One thing is certain, if you sight in your lever gun using a lead sled, if you shoot offhand, your shots are going to land noticeably higher.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Originally Posted by Seafire
Pretty simple, you are heating up the chamber, each shot with a hot chamber, looser tolerances, lost velocity...

with a right hand twist, you loose velocity, your shots will drop down and too the left...
faster velocity with each load they would be Up and to the right....
I'm not sure I buy that. I shot NRA High Power and High Power Sporting rifle for 40+ seasons. M-1, M-1A, and bolt gun, filled 3 Riflemans Scorebooks at least, with weather and sight dope. If any given rifle walked poi in the rapid fire stages, the bedding was corrected until it didn't. In matches of 80 rounds plus sighters...velocity increased as round count increased, presumably because of fouling.

Well Flintlocke YOUR opinion and insight matters to me.. you've been around the block a couple dozen times or more..

But what I was stating is what I have seen in pretty ALL of my bolt action rifles. and I know people's mileage may vary, and different types of rifles will perform different.. I've shot M1s but have never owned one.. I do own 5 or 6 lever actions... but with each of those ( Marlin and Model 94s) I've seen the same thing with them.. If nothing else, when the chamber heats up some, they will start stringing instead of increase elevation, up and to the right.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Pretty simple, you are heating up the chamber, each shot with a hot chamber, looser tolerances, lost velocity...

with a right hand twist, you loose velocity, your shots will drop down and too the left...
faster velocity with each load they would be Up and to the right...

Hey Seafire, don’t know if it’s that simple but will state that I have a 25.06 that with a clean tube the first shot goes 1” low, 1” left on the first shot. Subsequent shots go back to point of aim and stay there unless I clean it. Just that first clean bore shot which has never bothered me as I don’t hunt with a clean bore.

Well Swifty, we all should know that rifles are an entity unto themselves. Always a couple individual ones that have their own patterns...
I've had some with barrels, that the first with a clean bore does one thing, and then afterwards all the other shots do something different, at least until I let the chamber heat up...

But most of my range time, I am a single shot kind of guy.. same with most of my varmint shooting...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

faster velocity with each load they would be Up and to the right....

That is an AMAZING amount of outright Dumbfhuqktitude,but the punctuation is soothing...where did you learn that? Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

EXTRA Stupid Points awarded,for the innate ability for botching "too". Hint.

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart,for doing your BEST though.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Seafire, This whole conversation has had the effect of making me wonder if I have any idea what I'm talking about...family will be here tomorrow, I'll have my son bring his Win. '94, .30-30 assault rifle, I have a bunch of ammo loaded up, and we will just put 10 or 20 on paper and see if a trend develops. If it walks when hot, I'll report back to you guys. Yup, it's just one rifle, but if that walking is a trait of tube mag lever guns you'd think it will show up.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D

F
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
F

DZNN, that post is super helpful! Thank you.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

342 members (1lesfox, 2500HD, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1eyedmule, 36 invisible), 1,635 guests, and 939 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,062
Posts18,463,354
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.