Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#17823864 11/21/22
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Looking around in a local shop today, and found this 442. It looks virtually unfired, but I believe it's an older revolver. It is a dash 1, and has no lock. There was no box with it, just as is at a very nice price.
I have a 442-2 that I bought NIB years ago and carry often. It's nice to have a back up now.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sam......

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
For some reason, you can buy the current 442 with or without the lock. When I ordered mine several years ago, I specifically ordered one without the lock. It's likely the only revolver they offer where they give you a choice.

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Nice revolver . I have a 642 , Nice to put in a coat pocket or even a tackle bag while fishing.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Troutnut
Nice revolver . I have a 642 , Nice to put in a coat pocket or even a tackle bag while fishing.
Yep. Great coat pocket gun, because nothing to snag on.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a 642 with a kakabillion rounds through it. I filed the fs narrow. The most awesome of the bunch is the 340 M&P (not PD). I wish they made it in 38 spl only and 6 shot 32 H&R.
S.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I think Mannlicher has us all on ignore.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
A friend of mine is an avid bass fisherman. He primarily fishes the swamps which are loaded with snakes, to include water moccasins. His primary deterrent is a 642 loaded with CCI snake shot. He had a local gunsmith mill a pined hole in the backstrap for a lanyard attached to his belt. That way he cannot lose the gun. The moccasins are known to drop into boats as they cruise by from overhead tree branches. The snake shot is very effective. I have a 642 that is carried as my summer/hot weather front pocket gun. Love that little wheel gun.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Love 'em.................change the grips & they become much more shootable. I carry one fairly often as a genuine "pocket" gun.

Don't leave home w/o it.

MM

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Nice grab, Sam.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm a fan of the Airweight S&W Snubbies. My current favorite pop gun is a 642. In fact, I was telling my son over the weekend that he needs to grab him a snub airweight instead another plastic frame striker fired gun to throw on top of the half dozen Glock and M&P guns he already doesn't shoot very often. He would find that Snubbie a lot more useful than a neglected Glock in the safe.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I have had my 442 for more than 20 years.

Received it as a gift for graduating from a state academy.

Put literally thousands of rounds through it. It spent time as an ankle gun in the BUG role when I worked in uniform, then for years in my offside pocket when I was in investigations.

It may be a bit on the worn side cosmetically but it shoots very well and still gets used often in situations where a full size gun won't work. Stuffed with wadcutters, it is a great little reliable piece of gear.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I recently had a trigger job done on a 442 that had been in the safe a long time and added a Crimson Trace laser grip. With mild wad cutter loads it puts all 5 shots under an inch pretty much every time at 10 yards. I discovered that I can shoot it much more accurately when I place my finger on the trigger past the first joint. A normal finger position pinches my finger just before the trigger breaks.

Full power loads sting but the target level loads are a hoot. I ordered my first AA #5 for this project and have a stash of Speer 135 grain short barrel bullets to try.

I also added a shot timer app to my phone recently. I'm an old school bullseye shooter at heart and need to spend more time learning to shoot faster

Please don't feed the trolls!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Nice one, Mannlicher.

A man can't have too many S&W revolvers.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Sam,

That is what my eldest son carries daily. Loaded with Mac's +P wadcutters.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by EdM
Sam,

That is what my eldest son carries daily. Loaded with Mac's +P wadcutters.
He could do far worse.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

Looks like I'm not the only one that shoots high with these if ya choke way up un the grip. That spacer looks to be the ticket.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sorta ironic, after 20 plus years I came to view my old school firing pin on the hammer Mod 39 as too cherished to be my carry piece.

So I picked up this 442-2, it does have the trigger lock, I don’t mind it that much. I check the action is unlocked most every day.

I actually paid $80 on eBay for that Uncle Mike’s Combat Grip, they used to come standard on j-frame .357’s but have been out of production for years now. I haven’t found a grip that fits my hand better and I find the longer grip positions it more consistently in a pocket (Remora holster) than the boot grip the 442 came with, indexes much more consistently in the hand when drawn quickly too.

I’ve been trying to warm up to the pocket nines, that Ruger LC 9 fits in my pocket about as well, flatter than a j-frame, is easier to shoot fast and well and with that nine-round mag provides twice the rounds on hand.

J-frames just seem so familiar in my hand tho, the 442 still gets the nod.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Got my wife a 442, thought the recoil might be a bit much for her, but she likes it.

Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Love 'em.................change the grips & they become much more shootable.MM

MM, What grips did you put on yours?

Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
I actually paid $80 on eBay for that Uncle Mike’s Combat Grip, they used to come standard on j-frame .357’s but have been out of production for years now. I haven’t found a grip that fits my hand better and I find the longer grip positions it more consistently in a pocket (Remora holster) than the boot grip the 442 came with, indexes much more consistently in the hand when drawn quickly too.

Bird Watcher, I've got an Uncle Mikes K-frame square butt grip (on a Model 18), I like it a lot over the Pachmayr and Hogue's that I've tried.

Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
For some reason, you can buy the current 442 with or without the lock. When I ordered mine several years ago, I specifically ordered one without the lock. It's likely the only revolver they offer where they give you a choice.

Yeah, I don't get this... if they can offer the 442 without the lock, why not others? edited to add; If they did, I would buy more new S&W's vs. just pre-locks.

Jerry

Last edited by jerrywoodswalker; 11/23/22.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Yeah, I don't get this... if they can offer the 442 without the lock, why not others? edited to add; If they did, I would buy more new S&W's vs. just pre-locks.

Jerry
Same here.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by gunzo
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

Looks like I'm not the only one that shoots high with these if ya choke way up un the grip. That spacer looks to be the ticket.

This is primarily a recoil mitigation and comfort modification, as I found that shooting the J Frame to be unpleasant at times, especially with extensive practice. I tried various types of material on the backstrap, including strips of thin rubber, before finally settling on the strip of leather that is currently on there. Then wrapping it up in Vet Wrap bandage or hockey tape. The combo I found helps soften the recoil a bit and shooting 50-75 rounds at a whack on the range is not too bad, and getting a good grip is easier.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 1234, 72 invisible), 2,459 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,828
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.