Page 2 of 2 1 2
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by DMc
Originally Posted by DMc
That's way cool. I'd love to have one of those.
I thought so too.
Available on Amazon, but they all say that they take a small hidden battery, which indicates it's a gimmick designed to fool people into believing it's a perpetual motion device.

What does the battery do? The slide appears to be fixed, it doesn't actively flick the ball and the ball just drops into the slide.

Last edited by DBT; 11/23/22.
BP-B2

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Don't know, have not seen it.

But a small E magnet in the down chute would.explain how the ball can jump to a higher elevation than that from which it fell. IOW gain energy with every cycle.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

But a small E magnet in the down chute would.explain how the ball can jump to a higher elevation than that from which it fell. IOW gain energy with every cycle.

Possibly, but I can't think how placing a magnet in that position would accelerate the ball.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Try it with a marble...I say it won't work.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by DBT

Possibly, but I can't think how placing a magnet in that position would accelerate the ball.
It would only work with a E magnet which could accelerate the ball downward and be turned off instantly as the ball passes.

I might be totally off base, that is just one possible explanation

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by DMc
That's way cool. I'd love to have one of those.

It has batteries and a magnet in the base with a removable cover.

Tarquin
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by beginner
a womans mouth

that was my thought too !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT

It would only work with a E magnet which could accelerate the ball downward and be turned off instantly as the ball passes.

I might be totally off base, that is just one possible explanation

I guess that may be possible, but needs very fast trip switch response time.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by DMc

You would think that making a generator out of a bigger version of that would work just fine. Environmentally friendly too.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by rickt300
Originally Posted by DMc

You would think that making a generator out of a bigger version of that would work just fine. Environmentally friendly too.
Since gravity is a constant downward pushing force, you'd think there would indeed be a way to convert it into excess energy sufficient to run a generator.

This is what's done with rivers, for example, which exert a constant unidirectional force.

IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Hawk, the problem is that it takes more energy to lift your mass back to height so you can drop it again, than you can harvest from the system.

Your river harnesses solar power to do the lifting. High School Physics.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by DMc

Since gravity is a constant downward pushing force, you'd think there would indeed be a way to convert it into excess energy sufficient to run a generator.

This is what's done with rivers, for example, which exert a constant unidirectional force.

I thought about this one for a bit

If you made it real big say 20 ft diameter with heavy solid Steel rolling weights.
It may turn a very small generator
The down side would be that the Sound and Vibration (Gong Ringing Effect) of the crashing of those weights would be deafening and would Piss everyone off for miles.

Just My Thoughts.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Meh, it’s all bullsheet. Some of us had thermodynamics. Da rools when it comes to energy efficiency:

1 - You can’t win
2 - you can’t break even
3 - You cant quit

Yours in Liberty,

BL
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
A gravity powered generator wouldn't really be perpetual motion since the external input would be gravitational force.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DMc

Notice the bearing he used? He used it dry. If any stress was on it, it would need grease and grease would slow it down. I doubt those balls would even turn a greased bearing. It would need a very high tech, totally frictionless bearing.
The vanes are like fan blades. They're pushing air which will eventually slow it down.
Count the balls on the inside vs the outside. At any given time, the number of balls moving down on the ouside is almost the same as those moving up so the gravitational pull is equal. But then, the down moving balls on the outside are also having to lift the up moving inside balls as there is nothing to balance them. In the photo, there are 3 down moving balls, 1 of which is almost at the bottom and isn't contributing to the motion. On the left are 2 up moving balls and 1 that is neutral at the bottom. So, the up and down motion is almost neutral. But, there are 5 inside balls being lifted. You'd have to do some measuring and some math, but you'd find that their total weight would be at least that of 1 outside ball.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
97 members (99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 257_X_50, 15 invisible), 1,679 guests, and 658 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,741
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.