Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've been resizing Remington 150 grn.pspcl's .358 down to .355 for a couple years now. My load gets 2550 fps. out of them. Pretty stout deer load for 250 yds. and in here in Michigans once shotgun only zone. As a matter of fact, a pretty good deer load in most places.

BP-B6

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by Deere_Man
I bought a Ruger Ranch in 350L for a few reasons:

1. I wanted a low recoil rifle for newbies/youths to enjoy shooting and be able to deer hunt with if they wanted. (So far my kids only like to fly fish, but they’re still young, and I have a nephew who’s interested)

2. Ammo availability. I love the 30-30 & the 35 REM. But 30-30 ammunition is sometimes available and 35 never is. I think the Ruger American Ranch in 300 BLK would have been ok for my purposes, and ammo is available for it, but the gun store didn’t have a 300 when I purchased the 350L. Likewise for the 6.5 Grendal.

3. I might go to Ohio to hunt sometime

4. The cartridge looks cool and I thought it would make a nice woods rifle for 100 yard shots

5. I wanted a Ruger American
Yeah I passed up a nice Remington 141 for a fair price recently because I was unable to find 35 Rem ammo anywhere

Mike,
Daughters boyfriend, mentioned above, picked up a 14 in 35 a few weeks ago at auction. $250-300 if I remmber right. Never drilled.

Used, but not abused.
Perfect in my opinion, love those old guns that show honest use, and
the dings are the little ones you get no matter how hard you try.
You can be certain a gun like that hunted hard.
Didn't ride a SxS to a heated blind in 1955.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 450BM
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by kandpand
“Rifle Loony”

That is why I have a 350 Legend. I wanted one. Just to try something else.

Yep, same here. I already had bullet molds for 9mm and 38 special along with lots of bullets. Brass is cheap with small primer pockets (I have a lot of small primers, pistol and rifle). Can be shot in AR platform but I have a bolt gun. It’s a 357 maximum on caffeine and a fun gun to shoot. Also a better kids first deer rifle than the 30-30s many kids got in the past. I know levers are safer now but imagine how many accidental discharges there was when small, cold hands were dropping the hammer on their lever gun they’ve only shot 3 or 4 times..

I agree that rifles with exposed hammers are potentially dangerous in the hands of inexperienced or inattentive people, particularly the older rifles with a half-cock safety notch, but wouldn't it also be irresponsible for a parent to put a loaded firearm of any style into the hands of a child without first teaching the child how to use it safely?

It absolutely is irresponsible. What makes you think all parents are responsible?

I never said that they were and if I inferred it to be so, it was not intended as such.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Other than for use in a “straight walled case” only area, or in a handgun…..I can’t understand the demand! IMO……a fad and nobody wants to be left out! 😁 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
gnoahh,

Apparently you haven't yet read my recent article in Handloader on the .350 Legend--which describes an inexpensive and simple way to vastly increase the selection of bullets usable in the .350....
Your article got me thinking of sizing bullets down to test in my 45 cal muzzleloader using .355-.357 sabots.
I can hunt with the usual rifles or revolvers on my land but Testing for Science and Research is my Civic Duty and you Sir, are a bad influence! grin

I probably don't need a rifle in 350 Legend...

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
its the name Legend like Creedmoor both kinda famous names for something most people don`t know anything about.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
gnoahh,

Apparently you haven't yet read my recent article in Handloader on the .350 Legend--which describes an inexpensive and simple way to vastly increase the selection of bullets usable in the .350....
MD, In what issue was that article? I normally don't miss your articles but this one doesn't ring a bell with me.

Resizing jacketed bullets through a Lee Bullet Die I imagine. My buddy has been doing it with a lot of .358 bullets.

You guessed it! Works slickly and easily....

The HL issue is the latest, which may not have arrived yet for paper-copy subscribers.

I'm a "snag it off the newstand but only if there's an article in it I care to read" kind of guy. I guess I'll swing by Barnes&Noble on my way out of town this morning and grab a copy, if they're open today.

John, didn't I read a caution from you not long ago about forcing jacketed bullets through a smaller diameter die, that said bullets could see their jackets separated from their cores in the process, due to springback of the gilding metal versus the lead cores staying fully compressed?

Instead of forcing the .357 Maxi .360" cast bullets I shoot exclusively, through a Lee die, and risk collapsing the grease grooves (even if already filled with lube), I would simply call Tom at Accurate Molds and have him cut me a cavity or two for the desired size and alloy and call it good. (I use a few push-through dies, but I make them myself. A chunk of 7/8-14 all-thread and a lathe is your friend.)

Notice in my original post I mentioned the AR platform and bolt guns being the province of the Legend. I'm a single shot guy when it comes to experimenting with stuff anymore, and finagling a falling block rifle to deal with a rimless case is a lot trickier than working with a simple hook extractor. Additionally, my Martini Cadet .357 Maxi (and soft 200 grain cast bullets at around 1800fps - out of my 26" barrel) will serve quite well for the amount of hunting I'll actually do in our straight wall counties (very little), so future .357 Maxi work will be to further an idea I have for a target/bench gun to use in ASSRA competition - a .35 plain base soft cast bullet of +200 grains pushed via breech seating at 1400fps or so to remain barely super-sonic at 200 yards. The Maxi case (as well as the Legend case I should think) I reckon to be about ideal for the small-ish powder charges needed to achieve that. I wouldn't want to have to work with the rimless Legend case in that endeavor. Mayhaps even a .32 straight taper wildcat based on the Maxi case, think scaled down .32-40, to make use of the library of .32 molds I already have.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 11/24/22.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ringworm
I run a gun shop in SC.
Constantly have had customers asking for 350. I've finally quit trying to talk them out of itand just ordered the dang things.
I can't for the life of me figure out why someone would want one when they don't have the limitations.
I keep hearing the BS of brush busting and low recoil and killing power.
Really? More than a 7-08? Better than a 30-30?
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by kandpand
“Rifle Loony”

That is why I have a 350 Legend. I wanted one. Just to try something else.

Yep, same here. I already had bullet molds for 9mm and 38 special along with lots of bullets. Brass is cheap with small primer pockets (I have a lot of small primers, pistol and rifle). Can be shot in AR platform but I have a bolt gun. It’s a 357 maximum on caffeine and a fun gun to shoot. Also a better kids first deer rifle than the 30-30s many kids got in the past. I know levers are safer now but imagine how many accidental discharges there was when small, cold hands were dropping the hammer on their lever gun they’ve only shot 3 or 4 times..

I agree that rifles with exposed hammers are potentially dangerous in the hands of inexperienced or inattentive people, particularly the older rifles with a half-cock safety notch, but wouldn't it also be irresponsible for a parent to put a loaded firearm of any style into the hands of a child without first teaching the child how to use it safely?

It absolutely is irresponsible. What makes you think all parents are responsible?

I never said that they were and if I inferred it to be so, it was not intended as such.

Sorry, no offense intended. Kids are getting their education off the Internet now, parents don’t need to be responsible… (sarcasm)

I grew up with gun people and have had guns in my hands since I was 5. Thinking back over the years, some of the worst gun handlers owned the gun shops that would show up for a few years and then move on to selling something else. They didn’t care what they sold you, just get it sold and make a buck.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
It might make it but I have a hunch it will be right there with the short magnum bunch of cartridges in 10 years.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 11/24/22.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by memtb
Other than for use in a “straight walled case” only area, or in a handgun…..I can’t understand the demand! IMO……a fad and nobody wants to be left out! 😁 memtb
Same. Even if I were in one of these areas I would be using a 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 444 or 45-70 or an in-line muzzleloader.

Probably lean more towards the front stuffer.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
gnoahh,

MD, In what issue was that article? I normally don't miss your articles but this one doesn't ring a bell with me.

Resizing jacketed bullets through a Lee Bullet Die I imagine. My buddy has been doing it with a lot of .358 bullets.

You guessed it! Works slickly and easily....

The HL issue is the latest, which may not have arrived yet for paper-copy subscribers.

I'm a "snag it off the newstand but only if there's an article in it I care to read" kind of guy. I guess I'll swing by Barnes&Noble on my way out of town this morning and grab a copy, if they're open today.

John, didn't I read a caution from you not long ago about forcing jacketed bullets through a smaller diameter die, that said bullets could see their jackets separated from their cores in the process, due to springback of the gilding metal versus the lead cores staying fully compressed?

Instead of forcing the .357 Maxi .360" cast bullets I shoot exclusively, through a Lee die, and risk collapsing the grease grooves (even if already filled with lube), I would simply call Tom at Accurate Molds and have him cut me a cavity or two for the desired size and alloy and call it good. (I use a few push-through dies, but I make them myself. A chunk of 7/8-14 all-thread and a lathe is your friend.)

Notice in my original post I mentioned the AR platform and bolt guns being the province of the Legend. I'm a single shot guy when it comes to experimenting with stuff anymore, and finagling a falling block rifle to deal with a rimless case is a lot trickier than working with a simple hook extractor. Additionally, my Martini Cadet .357 Maxi (and soft 200 grain cast bullets at around 1800fps - out of my 26" barrel) will serve quite well for the amount of hunting I'll actually do in our straight wall counties (very little), so future .357 Maxi work will be to further an idea I have for a target/bench gun to use in ASSRA competition - a .35 plain base soft cast bullet of +200 grains pushed via breech seating at 1400fps or so to remain barely super-sonic at 200 yards. The Maxi case (as well as the Legend case I should think) I reckon to be about ideal for the small-ish powder charges needed to achieve that. I wouldn't want to have to work with the rimless Legend case in that endeavor. Mayhaps even a .32 straight taper wildcat based on the Maxi case, think scaled down .32-40, to make use of the library of .32 molds I already have.

Do you powder coat any of your cast stuff and what alloy recipe are you using?

I’ve transitioned from lubrisizer to powder coat because I hated the mess. I was shooting cast in pistol only so it never bothered me much but when I started shooting cast in rifles, the lube bothered me that much more. It’s a different game, shooting cast in rifles, but very enjoyable and dirt cheap when it comes to bullets. That’s why I cast, I couldn’t afford to shoot jacketed bullets as much as I shoot cast. (Of course, I know you know all this! :-) ) The 350 Legend is an easy and cheap to load cast bullet cartridge and my rifle is a bolt gun.

With that said, 357 pistol bullets are tough to chamber and I’ve given up on them. Tried some wadcutters once, shot 10, brought the rest home and pulled the bullets as they were almost impossible to chamber with the gun on the bench. I had to hold the gun almost vertical and shake it to get the cartridge to drop into the chamber… Groups were lousy too…

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Something new that justifies buying a new rifle...
Ballistically, it strikes me as a straight wall 300 Savage

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
No, I don't powder coat anything. I don't find traditional lubing to be messy, and in 50+ years of casting I've barely scratched the surface in pursuit of "traditional" techniques, and seriously doubt that I'll accomplish all that I wish to in that regard before I shuffle off this mortal coil. Powder coating, while I truly recognize some of its benefits, is a rabbit hole I've avoided lest it hinder my "traditional" pursuits. (But our friend and comrade here on the 'Fire, Dinny, is doing his best to sway me, and he might yet at that! He, by the way, really is an expert on the Maxi. Talking with him on the subject is a true learning experience.)

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
and what alloy recipe are you using?

Depends on the application. At the moment I'm using either 1:20 or 1:15 tin:lead (50/50 beeswax/alox lube and a gas check). My hunting ammo is loaded with 1:20, and every experimental load, from 1600-1800fps (with a 26" barrel mind you), conducted with L'il Gun and 1680 powders, hasn't left a scintilla of lead in the barrel. Maybe I lucked into an ultra smooth barrel, but probably due to fastidious attention to bullet fit and OAL as dictated by a Cerrosafe casting of the chamber/throat/leade. It has generous dimensions: .360 throat, very long freebore, tapered leade, and .359 groove diameter - all issues that stymied me until I stopped being a dumbass and did a chamber cast.

Of course, after all that I needed some specialized tooling, specifically for bullet sizing and equally important case neck sizing. The standard .357 expander die with its button designed for .357 jacketed bullets is too tight for a .360 soft cast bullet - a case manipulated with the smaller expander will squeeze away a tiny bit of that carefully achieved larger diameter. I had to make a custom one, although they can be had from NOE. In operation I set the sizing die to only re-size the top 3/8" of the case leaving most of the case as-fired for perfect chamber fit and longer case life.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 11/24/22.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'll leave it to the Legend shooters to see if these protocols I outlined carry over to their game. My gut feeling is that some of it may.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
A great way to implement a stage of 223 brass manufacturing without further steps using the most common handgun projectile with the most common primer and the least expensive ball powders. Chambered in the most common rifle.

Those aren't virtues, just manufacturing advantages to produce "something" during a period of expenses. Gee, I wonder why there's ammo for it.

Re-introducing the 351 Winchester self loader as the bearded lady and monkey boy still garners some takers.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yep. Not much new under the sun. Even the .357Maxi is nothing more nor less than the 150 year old Maynard .35-30 cartridge, identical outside dimensions.

H
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
H
Live and hunt in a straight wall restricted state. My mother and little boy use the 350 Legend. Easier for them to shoot versus a slug gun or the larger straight walled options. Have had good results the past few years with correct bullet placement and shots taken within 100yards. Definitely not a brush busting hard hitting option. I typically hunt with a 450BM or 450 Marlin.

Having lived in SC for 14 years I never thought of the 350 Legend as something useful. Too many better options when not limited to a straight wall cartridge.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Honestly, I didn’t even know what a 350 Legend was before this thread started.

I had seen a bunch of “350” ammo on the shelf at Wallyworld.
The “350” was all I noticed, and that there was a bunch of it. More of it than any of the normal hunting rounds.

I won’t buy one. But have no problem with anyone else choosing one, for whatever reason.
Maybe for some it’s a replacement for black gun ammo that Wallyworld no longer carries.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
744 members (10gaugemag, 222ND, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 80 invisible), 2,706 guests, and 1,360 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,624
Posts18,398,651
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.