Print Thread
Hop To
P
pike3e Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
7mm PRC build on remington 700 action. Thoughts on a standard Long action with mag bolt face or ultra mag 700 action? Thanks John

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
ADL? BDL? DBM? Hint.

Big Green has "only" built LA .532's to squirt .796 G1 180gr BC's,for five fhuqking decades and it's called a 7mm RemMag. Don't be pissed,that THE Rifle was on the scene,wellllllll prior to said projectiles. Hint.

They look like this. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No need for the ultra mag action. 7 PRC fits and functions fine on the 'std' L/A w/mag bolt face.

On a similar note, there are better actions out there for a 7PRC build, though they're double the price - or more

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
C
C
I’m wanting to build one also

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pike3e
7mm PRC build on remington 700 action. Thoughts on a standard Long action with mag bolt face or ultra mag 700 action? Thanks John

You could just buy one. A Rem 700 LRH in 7PRC. They're on the shelves now.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
IC B2

P
pike3e Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
I had a long action on hand for the build but ended up using it for another project. I have a chassis already so will be sticking with the 700 or a clone action. I can get an ultra mag action for a hundred or so cheaper than the long action and was checking to see what action feed rails would work better with the 7mm PRC case? any thoughts?

Thanks

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Easy button:

7 Rem mag-.210 FB
180g
R#22 at 2850, cci 250
R#26 at 3030 Fed 215
AGD brass is some really fine brass, but Winchester is shooting small groups also
Brux 4Groove, 9, 8.75, and 8.5" tube, 26"

Feed rails ARE different on std Mag action and the ultra mag action, what the PRC will take, I do not know.

Brother, nephews, and I have a number of these 7 Rem Mags, and every one shoots tiny groups, easy and quick load development.

Pike, you may want to push the easy button!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
7x300 win mag if your gonna build. Factory job go 7 mag. Or 7 mag with an 8 twist running heavies is a damn freak of nature.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Getting back on track with the OPs original question . . . .

My 7PRC is built on a Defiance Deviant Hunter L/A Mag; my 300 PRC is built on a Rem 700 U/M action. The Defiance feeds the 7PRC like butter; my Rem 700 feeds 300 PRC like butter. Out of curiosity, I tried feeding 7PRC in the Rem 700 300 PRC. Feeding was inconsistent - hit or miss, call it what you want. The rounds did not consistently stay below the feed rails. Much of this was dependent on how fast the action was cycled. Take it for what it's worth - a sample of one.

LGS has a Rem 700 LRH in 7PRC. I haven't yet convinced them to take it out of the stock so I could measure the width of the feed rails at various points and compare the numbers to my U/M action. I'd be surprised if Remington used a U/M action for the 7PRC.

Lastly, 7x300 was never part of the OPs question. For that matter, neither was the 7mm Rem Mag. The OP has a 7PRC build on his mind. Good for him. I say go for it regardless of what action he chooses.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Just making a few suggestions so he doesn't have to reinvent the wheel. Calm down. Build what you wish.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
7-MM Remington Magnum is no slouch.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Email Mack Bros and tell them you want on “The List” to be notified when long actions are back in stock.

They cost about as much as what Rem 700 actions are going for nowadays.

https://macbros.com/product/evo-stainless-steel-long-action/

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by REDVANES
Email Mack Bros and tell them you want on “The List” to be notified when long actions are back in stock.

I just took delivery on a MacBros Evo II long-action with magnum bolt face and like it a lot. Nitrided bolt, a unique recoil lug/receiver face interface that obviates the need for pinning the lug and a unique trigger hangar that lets you hang the trigger with one screw. I think I paid $675.00 and it's stainless steel.

Last edited by Tarquin; 12/27/22.

Tarquin
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Tarquin
Originally Posted by REDVANES

I just took delivery on a MacBros Evo II long-action with magnum bolt face and like it a lot. Nitrided bolt, a unique recoil lug/receiver face interface that obviates the need for pinning the lug and a unique trigger hangar that lets you hang the trigger with one screw. I think I paid $675.00 and it's stainless steel.

Nailed it.... With the price of 700s nowadays and then blueprinting them and adding all the extras, you simply cannot do it for $675

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Those actions are a steal!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Can anyone explain to me the difference between Wyatts and AICS magazines? Choosing a receiver that fits the magazine you're intending to use can be a bit confusing.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Is 7mmPRC brass or ammo available?

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 257Bob
Can anyone explain to me the difference between Wyatts and AICS magazines? Choosing a receiver that fits the magazine you're intending to use can be a bit confusing.
When it comes to Wyatts, most guys use the internal box with extended max OAL relative to factory boxes, which works in conjunction with the receiver feed rails. The AICS mag, on the other hand, is an external detachable staggered-stack, single-feed box. IME, when set up correctly, AICS has provided the smoothest and most reliable feeding of any system I've used.

I don't know much about the Wyatts DBM system. Judging by the website and photos, it looks narrower than the AICS system, which would allow drop-in fit without milling the BM inlet in the stock wider to accommodate the AICS footprint. I'm guessing that the mags are single-stack, rather than staggered-stack like the AICS mag, to allow for this narrower footprint. Wyatts mags seem longer than AICS, which would make sense if they are single-stack.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Is 7mmPRC brass or ammo available?

It’s around.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by 257Bob
When it comes to Wyatts, most guys use the internal box with extended max OAL relative to factory boxes, which works in conjunction with the receiver feed rails. The AICS mag, on the other hand, is an external detachable staggered-stack, single-feed box. IME, when set up correctly, AICS has provided the smoothest and most reliable feeding of any system I've used.

I don't know much about the Wyatts DBM system. Judging by the website and photos, it looks narrower than the AICS system, which would allow drop-in fit without milling the BM inlet in the stock wider to accommodate the AICS footprint. I'm guessing that the mags are single-stack, rather than staggered-stack like the AICS mag, to allow for this narrower footprint. Wyatts mags seem longer than AICS, which would make sense if they are single-stack.
Thanks, I only care as I want to make sure I get the right components for a build, some receiver descriptions are not entirely clear as to the mag set up, DBL/AICS/AW/Wyatts. What I'm looking for on my next build is to simply run a Hawkins M5 Hunter setup with an AICS Hunter mag. I have two Tenacitys set up this way but with the recent price increase of the Tenacity, I'm looking at other options.

Last edited by 257Bob; 01/13/23.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1minute, 1lessdog, 204guy, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 63 invisible), 2,044 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,746
Posts18,457,767
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.