Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Just returned from the annual expedition to the Maine North Woods. Negative results.
Package of books was awaiting my return.
Spirits instantly lifted! Thanks!

BP-B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
My copy came a couple of days ago. Just in time as I got in two days of deer hunting before a bout with the flu has sidelined me. I went right to the 250 Savage data as I just took possession of my latest build in this classic of deer calibers. I second the great idea of putting the cartridge designation on the side of the page. My hats off to Eileen and excellent idea.
I was a bit surprised to see no data for either the 22/250 or 250/3000 and H380 though.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by TRexF16
Been enjoying mine John. Great idea including "The Rules" from GG1 at the end. I am in a little project now where they are coming in handy.
Rex

That was actually suggested by more than one Campfire member, which made sense!

Ha, thinking back, I believe I was one of them! I had completely forgotten.
Enjoying the book - thanks for writing it for us, and for all the years of careful testing that went into it.
Rex

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
FYI: I really liked the wright up on the 338 Win. Mag. Nice work John.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
Yes, that made me want a 375H&H even more!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Bobthenailer
My copy arrived today! Awesome idea to print the cartridge type on the page edge. I can thumb thru quickly to index what I need. Thank You John for another great GG book. Is your wrist tired from signing books?

Eileen reminded me that she did the same thing in her big game cookbook Slice of the Wild, but of course the tabs were different: Field to Gambrel, Gambrel to Table, and rather than separating elk from deer, or deer from antelope she set tabs for Tender, Tougher, Stew and Burger, Grill, Fry, Cover & Cook. Three tabs per recipe page, and her favorite tab—Rogue’s Gallery. That’s photos of individual game animals we took, with details on weather, how we handled them, how they tasted.

She wanted an assortment of conditions and animals, and had a lot of fun looking through our photo files remembering those hunts, and dinners, including the time she killed a nice tender muley buck and it froze overnight. Lots of details on what can go wrong and what you can and can’t control and how the cook deals with it.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

Thanks!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Ha! (But you apparently need to Google "subordinate clause" as applied to the English language.)
Ha, indeed. I can't even spell "subordinate clause". (Claws, Claus, clahz,...) Just because you don't want to share the recipe.
Have a Happy Thanksgiving, sir.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
been gone for 3 weeks up at the border on my family annual deer hunt i just stay longer its a great time than the rest do. got a great surprise when i got home Gun Gack lV book was here great read for me ! i got an extra book too for a x-mas present for a dear friend who reloads ammo too ! i gotta ask this question to John with a grin : what`s next ? John, thank you for another great book ! Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks!

Dunno what's next. Am turning 70 next week and recently took another major step toward retirement--which have been doing for the past few years. (My "retirement" technique reminds me a lot of the old Johnny Cash song "One Piece at a Time," where a guy builds himself a Cadillac with parts brought home from the factory over a number of years....)

But as one of my older writer friends, the late Charlie Waterman, once said: "Old writers never retire, they just write less." When Charlie passed away in his early 90s he was still writing at least one monthly magazine column....

John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
John, I hope you have a wonderful birthday!

Wishing y'all the best.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That is a handsome looking 22K Hornet! Enjoyed everything so far.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Happy Birthday a little early John. I just turned 70 myself the end of October and have been easing into full time retirement for several years. It's a great time to be alive, upright and taking nourishment. Enjoy your special day and welcome to a new decade. I'm enjoying GG4 very much thank you for all your efforts.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
happy Birthday

Benefactor Life Member NRA, Arizona Hunter Education Instructor
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
The copies I ordered, including GGI, all arrived on Monday.
Thank you, John, and many thanks to leenie for her hard work, and keeping a sunny disposition!
May you two have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
yes Happy Birthday John mine is in the next few days too but i will be just 69 !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hope you have a happy one, young fella!

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Got my copy like 4 days ago...

thanks JB, and a Happy Birthday and a Happy Holiday Season to you and your lovely wife.

And thanks for all you do for the rest of us Campfire Brethren.

cheers & best regards

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Happy birthday, JB. I hit 71 yesterday. Glad we can still do what we want, and need, to do.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, getting this far and still being able to hike and hunt is a pretty good deal!

John Steinbeck
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
245 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 26 invisible), 1,656 guests, and 897 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,932
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.