-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Does anyone have a recommendation for either a holographic or other low-profile compact optic for my White Oak Armament 16" SPR upper I've got on order?
This will be a truck/ATV gun - coyotes, deer, varmints out to a max of 200 yards. Self-defense also, I guess.
What say y'all?

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'd scope a rifle that's going to be used mostly for hunting. I've no personal experience with WOA but they're touted as being extremely accurate. I say take advantage of some magnification (a good quality 1-4x, 1-6x, 1-8x LPVO would be perfect, IMO). Figure out your budget and go from there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I stuck an old Simmons 2 - 7 in a cantilever mount on my 16".
Been working great for me so far.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’ve used quite a few red dots and holographic sights over the years. While I really want to like EOTech, the battery life just isn’t worth it. My favorite is the micro Aimpoints T2 or H2 if you don’t have NV. The Battery life is unreal, I leave my dots on all the time and not on the recommended mid range setting. My H2 stayed on setting 8 or 9 (out of 10) for two years and I finally changed the battery last August on my birthday with all my other batteries that I change every year. They just work and work well.

But I sold that gun complete with the H2 and did some rearranging. I put a Sig Romeo5 in an ADM QD mount and swap it out with a 1-4 Trijicon scope when needed. The Sig has seen a million round on a 10/22 and also stays on all the time. No it’s not Aimpoint tough, no it doesn’t work as good but it gets the job done out to 200 yards, that’s mostly A zone hits on a USPSA silhouette.

But I am trying a Trijicon 1-6 Credo HX with hunter holds. The 1 power is closer to 1.3 than true 1x but the glass is clear, bright and the reticle is bold enough to use without the illumination. Speaking of illumination, it is daylight bright. As bright as the Razor I compared it with.

Take advantage of the accuracy with a scope but QD mounts will allow you to play with a red dot too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd hate to waste a WOA barrel on a dot sight. For a truck hunting gun just get a 2-7 or 3-9ish and put it in an Aero mount. If you want something small and light find an older Leupold 1-4.

I'll add my usual disclaimer that as soon as you add "self defense" or "home protection" all of my recommendations change, but it doesn't seem like that's what it's really for.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I'd hate to waste a WOA barrel on a dot sight. For a truck hunting gun just get a 2-7 or 3-9ish and put it in an Aero mount. If you want something small and light find an older Leupold 1-4.

I'll add my usual disclaimer that as soon as you add "self defense" or "home protection" all of my recommendations change, but it doesn't seem like that's what it's really for.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I will probably just scope it with something rugged and lightweight, as most are recommending.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
I'd scope a rifle that's going to be used mostly for hunting. I've no personal experience with WOA but they're touted as being extremely accurate. I say take advantage of some magnification (a good quality 1-4x, 1-6x, 1-8x LPVO would be perfect, IMO). Figure out your budget and go from there.
Good Lord, they are indeed accurate! I've probably been through a half dozen or more WOA barrels on my service rifle and every single one of them has been a tack driver - no issues at all. I'm talking about 1/4-1/2" groups at 100 yards every time. 52 grains to 80 grains in the same 1:7 twist barrel. WOA sprinkles some sort of pixie dust on their barrels.

BTW, they are currently having their Black Friday sale with $80 off their SPR uppers, along with other savings on other products.

STA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

randy..
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

^^^This^^^

One of mine wears a Leupold VXii Compact 3X9. On a Burris PEPR scope mount. Hard to beat for shooting coyotes and pigs out of the truck.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have an EOTech on my shorty Spike's Tactical.. It has worked fine for over 10 years now

Sam......

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

What Blue said; if you really want it as a home defense weapon, the take the scope off & put on whatever redot you like.

Regardless of what some may think, a redot is far less than ideal for small targets at any kind of distance for several reasons.

MM

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I've shot a lot with red dot sights on AR-9's, but for a combo hunting and self defense gun I'd say a good 1-4x variable with daylight bright illumination would be better.

The one I've used the most is the Steiner p4xi 1-4x24. They have a wide FOV, decent glass, a very usable BDC reticle and very good daylight bright illumination. The red dot at the center of the crosshairs is bright enough that at close range you don't lose much if anything to a dot sight and the FOV at 1X is wide enough for quick shooting. At 4x they work well out to at least 300 yards. The weight is reasonable at 17 oz and they are durable in my experience.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To brighten up a dot that uses 2032s, use 2 2016s instead.

Politics is War by Other Means
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K

I have a leupld vxhog on one of my main hunting ars. Love the size and the scope, they do make the vx freedom 1-4 with an illuminated fire dot....so you can have both.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by killerv
If you want something small and light find an older Leupold 1-4.
I have a leupld vxhog on one of my main hunting ars. Love the size and the scope...
… and don’t you just love reading PIG PLEX every time you look through that scope?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

It gives purpose.

Every day’s an adventure.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Exchipy
Originally Posted by killerv
If you want something small and light find an older Leupold 1-4.
I have a leupld vxhog on one of my main hunting ars. Love the size and the scope...
… and don’t you just love reading PIG PLEX every time you look through that scope?

It gives purpose.

It would give me a headache. The boys over in Beaverton really outdid themselves with that one.. Just sayin.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
that SPR profile is a bit piggy.

i'd be pretty tempted to run a good mount like a reptilia aus with a vortex viper 1-6 pst gen 2

go with a badger 1.7 height if ur gonna shoot more standing then belly.

wish this woulda came up a day or 3 back. i got a steiner p4xi 1-4 salted away that would be pretty ideal here.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ndbowhunter
that SPR profile is a bit piggy.

i'd be pretty tempted to run a good mount like a reptilia aus with a vortex viper 1-6 pst gen 2

go with a badger 1.7 height if ur gonna shoot more standing then belly.

wish this woulda came up a day or 3 back. i got a steiner p4xi 1-4 salted away that would be pretty ideal here.
What do you mean by "piggy"?

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Drag my Aero out w the PA cyclops w ACSS for yotes.
No multiplier.
See how it does after deer season.
Under 200 stuff, most under 100.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Have been happy and partial to Burris 332. So much about to order the second one for this year. Keeping some defense/farm guns all set up the same. Pretty easy on pigs/coyotes/deer to 200 and even a bit more depending. Fairly compact. Seems faster for us to run than a normal scope.

here are plenty options though. One has to just play a bit to find out whats working.

Caveat our Burris may fall apart tomorrow. Never know. Current oldest one gets beat to death as a truck/boat gun in Alaska during the seasons.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,761 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,572
Posts18,453,885
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.