Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
OP Offline
O
Good afternoon
Do you guys know of a company or gunsmith that rebuilds these?
As the story goes, my grandfather bought 2 12guages one with a 26” barrel the other with a 28”. He gave one to my father and kept the other for himself. I never got a chance to meet the man. Now fast forward many years and I have a son of my own. My father has passed away (never getting to meet his grandson). I would like to go be my son one of these guns and hunt with the other.
One of the guns is in good shape, the other it trashed. It need a fore end and buttstock.
Does anyone specialize in this???

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I don't know of a place that specializes in old Foxes. If i was a rich man I'd talk to Turnbull. But realistically I'd go with Ahlmans:

https://www.ahlmans.com/gunsmithing.html

Either way it's not going to be cheap. Maybe looking for used or reproduced wood would cut costs considerably.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You need to share a little more information to get the best answer.

A Fox Model "B" can be two very different things, actually more like 3 different things.

Savage bought the Ansley Fox Company just before the great depression hit. They continued to produce the "Philadelphia" Fox for about 25 years. Starting in the early 1900's, the original Fox Company had a "B" quality gun in their line up. An "Original B" has limited engraving and is a step up from their "A" grade and 2 steps up in quality from the "Sterlingworth". They made quite a few of these and the fit and finish is usually excellent. Then, Fox totally redesigned their engraving patterns and went with a much deeper chiseled style. These are referred to as a "Gough" era Fox "B" because Charles Gough was responsible for re-designing all of the engraving patterns. This all was happening around about 1916 or so. The new deep chiseled "Gough era" Fox "B" was expensive to make and was phased out of the lineup after a few years. This model is rare due to the limited years of production and brings a premium in the collectors market. There is one on Gunbroker in 12 gauge for $6,950, small gauge guns will bring a premium to that number.

Original Fox "B"

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Gough Era Fox "B"

After WWII, and to cut costs, Savage initially redesigned the original Foxes with some cost cutting measures and used up a lot of their inventory of old parts. It is at this point that they came out with a hardware store quality gun most people call the Model B or Model BSE. There is literally nothing the same on this model as the old Foxes. They use utility grade wood, stamped checkering, no hand engraving etc... There is one on Gunbroker right now that has been restocked sometime in the past for $795. Big difference in price

Savage Fox "B" or "BSE"

The point is is what Damnesia said for restocking may hold true for an original quality Fox but not for the hardware store quality gun. Today, you can get still get replacement stocks for a couple of hundred bucks from places like Numrich or e-bay even from time to time. A quality blank made into a new stock by somebody who knows what they are doing will cost many thousands more $$ than the gun would be worth.

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
O
OP Offline
O
Mine are later model shotguns. They have a vent rib and single trigger.
I’m well aware that it’s not worth much in great shape on gunbroker. It’s just something to hand down to my son. I’d be perfectly fine putting cash into it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The stock for the Savage Model B is a drop in. No gunsmith needed on a finished stock.

Google will be your friend.

You can probably get both for under $200.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Everything you ever wanted to know about the Fox B has been summed up nicely by a gent who goes by "Researcher" on many forums.

Here is his write up on The Savage Fox Model B

"Fox Model B – The Fox Model B was added to the 1940 Fox catalogue put out by Savage. The retail price was $25. The Model B was offered in 12-, 16-, and 20-gauges and .410-bore, and had a color case-hardened frame. By January 22, 1945, the retail price of the Model B was up to $34.50. The Fox Model B shared many parts with Savage’s Stevens-built 5100 action doubles, Stevens No. 530 and No. 311 and several Springfield models. Between 1946 and 1947, Savage consolidated their gun making operations at the old J. Stevens factories in Chicopee Falls, Mass.

Through the 1954 catalogue the Model B remained a double trigger, plain extractor, slim forearm utility gun. In the 1955 catalogue Savage added a Model BST which got a non-selective single trigger and a beavertail forearm. The offerings were the same for 1956 thru 1958.

By the 1960 catalogue the B and the BST got ventilated ribs. Between the 1960 and 1961 catalogues, Savage/Stevens/Fox moved from Chicopee Falls to the new factory at Westfield, Mass. There were no changes in the 1961 catalogue.

For 1962 a B De Luxe in 12-gauge was added with a satin chrome receiver, white-line grip cap and butt plate, checkered side panels, beavertail, ventilated rib, and gold plated non-selective single trigger. They also gold plated the trigger on the BST. There were no changes for 1963.

For 1964 the De Luxe became the BDE, and included automatic ejectors, and also was available in 20-gauge chambered for 3-inch shells. The B and BST remained unchanged.

For 1965 the B and BST 20-gauges got 3-inch chambers.

For 1966 the satin chrome BDE was gone. There was a BSE with ejectors, non-selective single trigger, satin black finish, white-line butt plate and grip cap, beavertail and ventilated rib. The Model B had double triggers, was case hardened, had a ventilated rib, and now a beavertail. Both guns now featured impressed stamped checkering. For 1967, 8, 9 and 1970 the offerings were the same. The gun control act of 1968 required Savage to start putting serial numbers on these guns.

By 1971 there was a gun called the Savage 550 which was just like the BSE but had a case hardened receiver, and was offered in 12- and 20-gauges. The text said it had precisely engineered barrels resulting in perfect balance. In the picture it appears to be a mono-bloc design?!? Also grip caps are gone from the B and BSE. Offerings for 1972 were the same – the 550 listed at $174.95, the B-SE listed at $164.95, and the B listed at $139.95.

By 1973, the BSE and 16-gauges are gone, but there is a 24-inch barrel B in 12-gauge and 20-gauge, both with 3-inch chambers.

For 1974 the Savage 550 is gone and the B-SE is back. The B-SE 12-gauge has 2 ¾ inch chambers and the 12-gauge B and 24” Fox B have 3-inch chambers. All the 20-gauge and .410-bore are 3-inch chambered. No changes for 1975, 6, 7, or 8. For 1979 the grip caps are back and the double triggered B is offered with ejectors as the BE.

For 1980, cut checkering is back, but the 24-inch barrel offerings are gone – B, BE and B-SE. In 1981 the BE was gone, but the FA-1 and the FP-1 Fox autoloader and pump appeared. For 1982 the Fox offerings were B, B-SE, FA-1 and FP-1.

For 1983 the only Fox offering was the B-SE. The B-SE remained through the 1987 catalogue when its list price was $525. By the 1988 catalogue the Fox name was gone."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you have trouble finding wood let me know. I believe I have at least one set of new factory original wood squirreled away. I don't want to part with it very bad but given the story behind your double, I would.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
A kind and noble gesture.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 6 invisible), 1,548 guests, and 708 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,536
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.