24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My 442 no-lock is almost always with me in a Mika holster. For its “Get off me!” purpose it is ideal. Lots of trigger pulls have made a pretty smooth trigger. For me, doing timed drills I forget about recoil.

From the pocket holster I can draw and fire 1 to the head of a target from 1 yard in under a second.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

BP-B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
carry a 642 or 638 a lot. great little pistols, at our gun club we run BUG gun matches and I frequently use the airweights.

Benefactor Life Member NRA, Arizona Hunter Education Instructor
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Draw and fire in under a second from a POCKET holster??? Pants pocket?

Please don't feed the trolls!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes. Right front pocket. I start with my hand already in the pocket on the grip. It’s what I’d do in a threatening situation to appear casual. It still took practice, with lots of dry runs, to get the movement smooth and quick. Not as easy as it might sound.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Ok that makes sense. I just got a shot timer for my phone I’ll give it a try 0.70 seems like a tough time to beat.

A good trigger job and a laser turns a 442 into a whole different kind of gun though. My best time so far from low ready 5 shots at 7 yards is 6.60 seconds with a group the size of a silver dollar.

I’m interested in finding an outside the waistband cross draw holster for it it looks like Andrews leather makes two different versions one of which just snaps on and off a handy position while driving

Please don't feed the trolls!
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That is some decent shooting. I find a timer really allows me to measure improvement, and makes the drills more enjoyable.

Yes, laser grips are a game changer.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

642 with Crimson Trace laser grips.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Nice little revolvers. I've never owned a 442 or 642, but years ago I had a 640. Essentially the same gun as the 642 but made of all stainless steel, including the frame, so kind of heavy for a small revolver. It had the wood grips, and wasn't all that pleasant to shoot with heavy 38 Spl loads. I left it behind during my second divorce, along with a couple other guns.......stupid of me, but that's life.

Recently I picked up a Ruger LCRx 38 Special snub. It's not bad, but doesn't have the classic lines of the S&W. One thing though, Ruger got the grip dialed-in very well for ergonomics and recoil dampening on the little LCR.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Originally Posted by gunzo
I have had my 442 for more than 20 years.

Looks like I'm not the only one that shoots high with these if ya choke way up un the grip. That spacer looks to be the ticket.

This is primarily a recoil mitigation and comfort modification, as I found that shooting the J Frame to be unpleasant at times, especially with extensive practice. I tried various types of material on the backstrap, including strips of thin rubber, before finally settling on the strip of leather that is currently on there. Then wrapping it up in Vet Wrap bandage or hockey tape. The combo I found helps soften the recoil a bit and shooting 50-75 rounds at a whack on the range is not too bad, and getting a good grip is easier.

Thanks Mackay,

I might fix my shooting high problem & get some comfort for my effort as well. Have found grips that cover the upper portion of the backstrap, but add unwanted length to the grip.

Tape of some sort might be the fix here too. The shooting high thing was realized when trying to snap shoot carpenter bees on the wing(w/shot shells of course) cool

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Nice guns

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I wife likes my or should I say hers, 642 and she wants to carry it in her front coat pocket. For what it is, it is a great carry piece. light and compact.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’ve got a couple of 642’s, my wife carries one of them, the other is stashed in the house. I had a 640-1 but my daughter wound up with it. And I’ve got a 43c which is the 442 but in 22 LR, it’s a great gun to practice with and I carry it when I run.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Carry one in a Philster City Special holster. Everyday. Wadcutters and a spare 5 round strip in my pocket.

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
While not as weathered as Mackay Sagebrush's 442, this one has been around quite a bit. It still goes with me everywhere once I leave the casa.
Bob

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Did I mention that its close cousin accompanies me to the hen house each morning to let the chickens out? I'm speaking of the good old S&W Model 38 Airweight. It's what they used to call the Bodyguard configuration, i.e., a J-Frame (aluminum framed), snubby, .38 with a round butt frame, and a humpback frame extension over the hammer spur to prevent snagging on clothing, but which still allows you to apply your thumb to just enough of the hammer spur to operate it if you wanted to take a more careful shot at a more distant target. Mine's a pre-82 example.

It lives in the pocket of my bathrobe, inside a pocket holster.

Those are recent production S&W brand rubberized boot grips it's wearing.

[Linked Image]

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]nearest petrol pump from me
These are great little revolvers. I have a 642 and a 640 now and I'm always keeping an eye out for others at bargain prices. I wouldn't mind having one for every room. 😀 I was amazed how accurate this one is if you concentrate on the tiny sights and stack the trigger just right.

Leave the gun, take the canolis.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
442 no-lock. It's always in a Mika pocket holster, but I'm a sucker for nice leather. It handles Ted's 148 +p fine, but I don't practice with them much. smile

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by klondike_mike
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][url=https://gasstation-nearme.com/] [I wouldn't mind having one for every room. 😀.

In my opinion I would prefer a handy 4” 6 shot revolver to a 2” 5 shot revolver. They point better and tend to have better triggers. Something to consider. I like the 2” revolvers for pocket carry. But my around the house I like the 4” Ruger Six Series guns. Absolutely point better!!!

Everyone knows there are lots of choices out there.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
One of these days I would like to find a nice 4" Ruger Security 6 at a decent price.

Right now, right after Christmas is definitely not the right time though!

Super solid built guns built for a lifetime of use.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
One of these days I would like to find a nice 4" Ruger Security 6 at a decent price.

Right now, right after Christmas is definitely not the right time though!

Super solid built guns built for a lifetime of use.
Yes, the old Ruger police and security revolvers of the 1970s and 1980s were great. They've become classics in their own rights. My very first handgun (purchased new in 1980) fell into that category, and I still have it, i.e., a stainless Ruger Speed Six .357 Magnum.

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
733 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,969 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,763
Posts18,401,397
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.