Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Took a nephew hunting.

He shot a 210# buck that was angled towards him. He placed the shot on the forward point of the near side shoulder.

While starting to skin, we found the bullet under the hide of the offside rear leg. The bullet looked like a perfect mushroom.

Here is a short clip as the TTSX .308 130 is removed.

https://youtube.com/shorts/mGIhYAWZOP8?feature=share

BP-B2

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
That is beautiful! And the reason Barnes TTSX bullets are my favorite hunting bullet. Thats a nice keep sake as those bullets are very hard to catch indeed. I have killed dozens of whitetails with those bullets and only ever caught 1, it as on a 250lb whitetail buck that was quartering hard away and the bullet was just like yours under the skin on the far side after traveling through at least 30" of whitetail.....Hb

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Very cool! 👍

I've only ever recovered a couple bullets. Nice to see it did its job pefectly.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What I like to do with them is clean all the meat and tissue away from them, and let them sit around drying for a month, then weigh it. You’ll more than likely be surprised by the weight retention. I have recovered a few and they look just like that with about 95-99% weight retention. Shot a monster doe straight in the chest at 80-85 yards with my .280 Rem with a 140 Barnes X and recovered it in the hip. Cleaned it, dried it for a few months…it weighed 139.6. Can’t beat that.😎

Doc_Holidude

Last edited by Doc_Holidude; 11/23/22. Reason: lol can’t spell!

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Remembered where I put it…it was an XLC coated 140 grainer…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Nice. I haven’t used those yet but I have recovered a 225 Nosler Accubond from my 358 Winchester. It was a cool mushroom and it retained most of its weight.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I use the TTSX, haven’t recovered one yet.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have a couple boxes of .284 in 150 grain TTSX that I’ve been holding off on after reading reports on here that they don’t open up and you need to shoulder shoot deer with them. I guess that’s still the case if you guys aren’t recovering very many?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by MadDog4298
I have a couple boxes of .284 in 150 grain TTSX that I’ve been holding off on after reading reports on here that they don’t open up and you need to shoulder shoot deer with them. I guess that’s still the case if you guys aren’t recovering very many?

In my experience they open fine, but they are designed to put two holes in an animal. Exit holes have always been appropriate sized in anything I have shot and it is nice knowing you can put one through a shoulder or any other part of an animal with no worries. If you are looking for a bullet to stop inside a chest cavity on a broadside shot, they probably aren’t for you. Just depends on what you are looking for In a bullet.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I’ve used that same bullet on lung shots (deer) from a 7mm SAUM and they expanded rather well with fairly nice blood trails. Not my ideal bullet pick for that shot but they are very accurate and apparently open up just fine.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jdunham

In my experience they open fine, but they are designed to put two holes in an animal. Exit holes have always been appropriate sized in anything I have shot and it is nice knowing you can put one through a shoulder or any other part of an animal with no worries. If you are looking for a bullet to stop inside a chest cavity on a broadside shot, they probably aren’t for you. Just depends on what you are looking for In a bullet.

Wholeheartedly agree! MadDog4298, rather than use them, I would sell them…to us TTSX users! 😎

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Doc_Holidude
What I like to do with them is clean all the meat and tissue away from them, and let them sit around drying for a month, then weigh it. You’ll more than likely be surprised by the weight retention. I have recovered a few and they look just like that with about 95-99% weight retention. Shot a monster doe straight in the chest at 80-85 yards with my .280 Rem with a 140 Barnes X and recovered it in the hip. Cleaned it, dried it for a few months…it weighed 139.6. Can’t beat that.😎

Doc_Holidude
Impressive. A non-boutique bullet can not beat that but a cheap cup n core can achieve about 80%. Hornady 154 grain Interlock shot out of a 7x57.
laugh
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I sure wouldn’t be upset with that weight retention either. I’m kinda like Dr. Quincy or a mad scientist after the kill. Wound channels and recovered bullets are quite interesting! Thanks for sharing roundoak!

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Dog,

The TSX opening was inconsistent for me and I swore off Barnes. About ten years ago someone encouraged me to give the TTSX a try. Now we are into the hundreds of animals with the TTSX, they have provided consistently excellent terminal results.

The TTSX is my go to hunting bullet.

Give it a try.

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use the Barnes 130 TTSX in my 308. Great bullet. Very accurate. I have yet to recover one.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by jeffbird
Dog,

The TSX opening was inconsistent for me and I swore off Barnes. About ten years ago someone encouraged me to give the TTSX a try. Now we are into the hundreds of animals with the TTSX, they have provided consistently excellent terminal results.

The TTSX is my go to hunting bullet.

Give it a try.
Thanks for the confidence boosters. Mine will be in a 7mm REM and shots will be 350 yards or less.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
ExclusiveBarnes user here, for years! In fact since they were pretty much introduced. Suffered through the bad copper, got used to cleaning copper fouling, but was tired of finding jacket and lead fragments in the meat from other bullets. I too Doc, am like Quincey after the fact, lol! I've used the Originals, the TSX and now the TTSX in everything, from coyotes to moose in every caliber I have. Only one I ever retrieved was a 250gr TSX out of a moose I shot head on, sighted center of the chest just below the lips, at around 200 yards offhand with my 338 Win Mag. Moose dropped at the shot, DRT, and found the bullet back in the ham. I'm loading the 130gr TTSX in my 308 Win now too, hoping to put one to good use soon.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have recovered some.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Barnes TTSX and similar weight Hammer Hunters. MURDER PILLS! Light for cartridge, speed kills.

Truth sounds like hate to those who hate truth.
D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Nice! That's like willing the lottery to catch one, but it did pass lengthwise through a good sized deer. What velocity, and what was the range?

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
486 members (1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 42 invisible), 2,500 guests, and 1,084 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,400,955
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.