Good day today.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Atta boy !!!!

👍😉👍

Story ??

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Not much of one. Deer hunted the last three days. Only saw does. My fork horn from the first of two days of muzzle loading did not come back. I was hoping the hunt clubs would be out with their hounds since it was the day before Thanksgiving and get things moving. But they weren't. And I again had this 900 acre tract to myself. I took my slug gun Monday and Tuesday. Turkeys were legal today so I loaded up with buckshot for the opportunity. All three days were cold in the morning warming into the 60s. Not a cloud in the sky. Everyday as bright and sunny. I can tell the turkeys have moved back to the pine thickets for the winter on my side of the swamp. The toms were gobbling like crazy around 7am all three mornings, with the hens doing their tree calls. I heard them fly down around 730 on the back side of the hill I was on. They were working the leaves for beech nuts (her crop was full of beech nuts). They just kind of meandered off. About 1pm something spooked them and they came running over the hill directly at me from behind. I was aware of 6 of them, but there may have been more. Three went to my left, two my right. This one nearly ran me over. It saw me and leapt into the air so close to me I felt the wind. Directly over my head. Lifted my shotgun and hit her in the groin. She cartwheeled down like a Japanese Zero that just had its wing blown off by AAA. She hit the ground dead. Shot went up in the groin and out the riight side. It put a fist sized hole in her belly and nearly severed her right wing, but didn't damage much meat. Believe it or not, the only meat lost was a little of the top of the right thigh. Was able to get perfect breasts, all of the left thigh and leg, much of right thigh and all of the leg, even the heart and liver.

Since it was in the mid 60s, after 1pm, and because I had a near mile long walk back to my truck through chest high weeds, I decided to come home right then. I was kind of happy I was carrying her out instead of dragging a deer. I'm hoping for some cold overcast days on my next days off. Dressing for the cold only to have the temp go up 25-30 degrees by noon and starting to sweat and overheat isn't much fun.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 11/23/22.
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Good going blind hogg....

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Good bird…it’s nice to have a little luck work in your favor every now and then.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good deal !!!

Sometimes ya gotta shoot em in self-defense. 😁

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Way to go man, and great story.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Congrats 10Glocks! Buckshot on turkey! Lol! Glad there's no damage to the edible parts!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yeah, I guess buckshot is the polar opposite of pixie dust....lol

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It's not that bad if you have some distance. I've never had to pick any buckshot out of a turkey. I passes right through and doesn't bloodshot much. Up close, it's downright devastating.

IC B3

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Nice job never used buckshot for any hunting. Have some to play with. Glad all worked out. I got mine last Sunday the old fashion way, stalking the same as you. Got mine a little farther with my old .22-250.

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Nice job never used buckshot for any hunting. Have some to play with. Glad all worked out. I got mine last Sunday the old fashion way, stalking the same as you. Got mine a little farther with my old .22-250.

No stalking for me. It came to me. Like most turkeys I've seen in the fall, they don't much care if there's a deer hunter in orange in a blind or on a stand. Sometimes, they'll forage right up to near you.

I did notice three of the group that went to my left ended up going uphill out of the bottom area I was in and settled in a clearcut area. That area is nearly impenetrable with small pines, thick blackberries, devils walkingstick, and every other thing that growns a thorn. That area make a WWI battlefield covered in barbwire look like a kiddie's playground.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great pic and perfect timing...Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

laissez les bons temps rouler

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
258 members (300_savage, 1minute, 204guy, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 41 invisible), 2,170 guests, and 958 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,633
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.