Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Windfall
Certainly two schools of thoughts on what a walleye boat should look like. We have outstanding walleye fishing out in the estuarys out of Lake Michigan, but it is so much like trolling for salmon with the big boats, down riggers and big water. I've gone the other way and caught thousands of walleyes in Canada mostly using a 14 or 16' Lund aluminum boat with a 10-15 hp outboard. A buddy of mine fished the walleye tournaments up north and he knew the river system so well that he was always in the money using his 15' Grumman Sport Canoe. He tells about nearly being swamped by the big boats going by on their way out to fish the way bigger water. My buddy's son did buy a big Hewes boat that he found in Ohio, but my buddy is right now in the process of refurbishing an S16 Lund with a Honda four stroke for his walleye boat. That tells me what his preferred method of fishing walleyes would be. Mine too.

Lots of truth there. For a long many years the norm for the groups I’ve handled across Canada was a 14’ with maybe up to a 20hp motor. Easier to fly those in to camps and easier on fuel which had to be flown in as well.
The bigger lodges on the bigger lakes went more to 16’, primarily as a guide and two customers per boat was a lot.
I see now more 16’ in the far north and big lake lodges like up on Cree, Slave, Ath, Reindeer etc are now going 18’ with 40-50 hp motors. That’s big.
My son was running a 17’ tiller down on Flaming Gorge, which was fine but he sold it because the waters closer to SLC where he fishes the most don’t need that size. He has a 14’ now with a 25hp.
To the OP, it really is all about the size water you will spend the most time on, and what keeps you relatively safe there.
Good luck with it.
Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
GB2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Windfall
Certainly two schools of thoughts on what a walleye boat should look like. We have outstanding walleye fishing out in the estuarys out of Lake Michigan, but it is so much like trolling for salmon with the big boats, down riggers and big water. I've gone the other way and caught thousands of walleyes in Canada mostly using a 14 or 16' Lund aluminum boat with a 10-15 hp outboard. A buddy of mine fished the walleye tournaments up north and he knew the river system so well that he was always in the money using his 15' Grumman Sport Canoe. He tells about nearly being swamped by the big boats going by on their way out to fish the way bigger water. My buddy's son did buy a big Hewes boat that he found in Ohio, but my buddy is right now in the process of refurbishing an S16 Lund with a Honda four stroke for his walleye boat. That tells me what his preferred method of fishing walleyes would be. Mine too.

That’s a big reason I recently bought a basic 16 footer. The big boat is great for big water and getting somewhere fast and dry, but it can be a pain otherwise.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
No matter the boat, always wear a PFD, have three ways to make a fire, and be ready to survive overnight.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wabigoon
No matter the boat, always wear a PFD, have three ways to make a fire, and be ready to survive overnight.

Amen and if you are fishing in the Pacific, make sure the life raft works!

KB

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I’m still in love with my 19 foot Alumacraft Trophy. Owned it 6-7 seasons now and still meets all my freshwater needs. Rides great, can run upper 40’s if I push the 200 Yamaha.
https://www.alumacraft.com/us/en/models/fish-and-sport/trophy.html#195

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
14' Crestliner.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
729 members (204guy, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 16penny, 77 invisible), 2,972 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,767
Posts18,401,467
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.